Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found something odd going on today. I left my key in the cup holder with my Samsung Galaxy S3 as I was sitting outside the car. I noticed that the car kept flashing its lights as if it were locking and unlocking. I'm unsure if it was because my phone (perhaps the NFC functionality?) was interacting oddly with the key, or what... but it was acting oddly.

Bah... Buzzing randomly started for me today. It's definitely noticeable when I'm on a call. I also tested the theory of doing a lot of driving in hopes that the update might download... Nothing so far heh :)

Try turning off your ambient lights. It's a known problem. My car and my brother's car has a slight buzzing when the ambient lights are on. Hope that helps.

I found something odd going on today. I left my key in the cup holder with my Samsung Galaxy S3 as I was sitting outside the car. I noticed that the car kept flashing its lights as if it were locking and unlocking. I'm unsure if it was because my phone (perhaps the NFC functionality?) was interacting oddly with the key, or what... but it was acting oddly.

The cup holder is the location where one is supposed to place the key fob in the event that the fob battery dies. Perhaps it was receiving a signal from the fob.

No update here either.

This sounds like it will be a fun update when I get it, but what I really need is the update that sends a text when the car unexpectedly stops charging. Or at least a way to check charging status from my smartphone. I'm going on a 3,000 mile trip in January; that will involve a lot of charging at a wide variety of locations, and I know first-hand how easily a trip can be messed up when you don't find out that your car stopped charging until a few hours after the fact. This is a pretty basic EV feature (which Tesla promised was "coming soon" for the Roadster 2.5 years ago; Tesla never delivered, but I managed to add it via OVMS) and I am extremely disappointed that it's not available for the Model S yet.

To hopefully put the minds at ease of those who haven't received their update - Tesla evidently is doing this on purpose. They already have a version 4.1 coming out because of all the bugs in 4.0. If you are one of the ones who haven't received 4.0, it is because they are planning to send you 4.1 directly, and are not going to send out 4.0. I was told this from my service rep. He actually seemed disappointed whenI got 4.0, as I think it means now it will be longer until I get 4.1. 4.0 is buggy - I get red warning light every time I get in (low fluid the most common), sun roof control via the thumb wheel is erratic at best. So for those of you without 4.0, try not to despair, b/c it sounds like youll be the first to get 4.1

Anybody else still updateless?

The report about 4.1 would be a good, logical explanation for why so many relatively low-numbered Sigs are still without the update. I still dislike getting my news off of TMC where someone was told something, instead of hearing it directly from Tesla (and I've sent inquiries to HQ) about the update and how they choose the order. If I knew this was the case I'd live with the annoying bugs I've got now a little easier. My Bluetooth doesn't work for media on one phone, and can't connect at all to another phone. I get random error messages all the time (including while I'm driving) that I need to call Service right away. Nav/Maps are hit or miss. I was hoping to get 4.0 soon to clear all this up, but don't mind waiting for 4.1 if it isn't going to be too long an additional wait. Not knowing anything officially is always the worst of all worlds.

To be clear, I really appreciate the info on 4.1 and am grateful that people post this information. I just wish that there were more official channels from Tesla on news like this to owners.

To hopefully put the minds at ease of those who haven't received their update - Tesla evidently is doing this on purpose. They already have a version 4.1 coming out because of all the bugs in 4.0. If you are one of the ones who haven't received 4.0, it is because they are planning to send you 4.1 directly, and are not going to send out 4.0. I was told this from my service rep. He actually seemed disappointed whenI got 4.0, as I think it means now it will be longer until I get 4.1. 4.0 is buggy - I get red warning light every time I get in (low fluid the most common), sun roof control via the thumb wheel is erratic at best. So for those of you without 4.0, try not to despair, b/c it sounds like youll be the first to get 4.1

That would be awesome! Then I could be cool again... and get 4.1 before everyone!

Speaking of Bluetooth, with my iPhone, I have to re-select the iPhone as a source (from "My Devices") every time I start the car, and also press play to resume playback.

In my old car, once the phone paired with the car, playback would resume automatically.

I'm wondering if this is an iPhone-specific issue with the Model S, or if it's "by design".

Speaking of Bluetooth, with my iPhone, I have to re-select the iPhone as a source (from "My Devices") every time I start the car, and also press play to resume playback.

In my old car, once the phone paired with the car, playback would resume automatically.

I'm wondering if this is an iPhone-specific issue with the Model S, or if it's "by design".

Same here... I wonder if its so that your music doesn't start playing as soon as you unlock the car or something? Though, it works fine with USB and radio...

I have an iPhone 5 and have only had to re-pair the device once over a month ago and never had to do it again since. You are making sure to do all the pairing from the 17" screen and not the iPhone itself? Just double checking as that is what I did hearing there are issues with doing the pairing from the phone directly as the source.

I have an iPhone 5 and have only had to re-pair the device once over a month ago and never had to do it again since. You are making sure to do all the pairing from the 17" screen and not the iPhone itself? Just double checking as that is what I did hearing there are issues with doing the pairing from the phone directly as the source.

byt - You iPhone stays paired, cool. Does the Model S connect to the phone, and take it's audio, even if you're listening to another source, like the radio or streaming audio? If so, does the Model S mix the phone's audio (alerts, etc) with the current audio source, so you can hear the phones alerts/rings at the same time as the other music source? If not, do you have to tell the Model S to start using the phone as the music source in My Devices on the 17" panel?

Haven't had to re-pair. When I turn the car on, assuming that I left the media app open, the screen shows my phone under "My Devices", but I have to tap the phone's name again to select it as the current source, and then I usually also have to press play at least once.

So, I'm not seeing a failure to pair. It's just that the audio doesn't automatically start playing again from my phone like it does in my other car (which has an Alpine deck with Bluetooth). I would like to not have to do the extra steps to tap the source and hit play.