Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right, this is the way it should work. With my .29 it sleeps the displays when in range driving mode, even if I have "keep displays on" set to "off".

I would expect a different behavior:

* Range driving = OFF, Keep displays powered = OFF should mean normal HVAC, car sleeps after 2 hours
* Range driving = ON, Keep displays powered = ON should mean eco HVAC, car sleeps after 2 hours
* Range driving = ON, Keep displays powered = OFF should mean eco HVAC, car sleeps after 5 minutes

I would expect a different behavior:

* Range driving = OFF, Keep displays powered = OFF should mean normal HVAC, car sleeps after 2 hours
* Range driving = ON, Keep displays powered = ON should mean eco HVAC, car sleeps after 2 hours
* Range driving = ON, Keep displays powered = OFF should mean eco HVAC, car sleeps after 5 minutes

Well, there are two bugs, in my opinion. For the one we are talking about here, I agree with what you have above, but it's not the behavior I see with .29. With .29, when I have it at your middle setting, it goes to sleep after 5 minutes. At least this has a workaround: leave range driving off while parked, and then the KDP switch actually makes a difference.

I also have a problem (in my head) with it going to sleep after two hours while it is plugged in *and* setting 1 or 2 above is used. Unfortunately, this will have no workaround for me if it's actually meant to be implemented this way. Currently, I think it doesn't go to sleep until around 2 days for me.

Last edited:
I also have a problem (in my head) with it going to sleep after two hours while it is plugged in *and* setting 1 or 2 above is used. Unfortunately, this will have no workaround for me if it's actually meant to be implemented this way. Currently, I think it doesn't go to sleep until around 2 days for me.

And "advanced settings" area where you could set this behaviour the way you want it is called for here. The problem with "advanced settings" is that it causes confusion for the non-techncal owner.

SSL 235, VIN 277 in Mill Valley, CA - still pre-4.0 firmware. I have mixed feelings about this, as I'd love to get some of the new features, but my current firmware (1.15.14) is very stable and I'm hoping that they're debugging and that when I get my update it will be higher quality. We'll see.....

Actually it does change on the Volt. I have a daily drive with my Volt that includes a steep one mile downhill. In warm weather I was getting up to 2 miles of additional charge from regen when I went down the hill. In the current cold weather maybe one if I'm lucky.

Sorry to get off topic here but I need to clarify my comment. (Since edited). Mods feel free to move.

I meant to say that regenerative braking force doesn't vary with cold weather on the Volt like it does on the Model S. I drive the Volt in "L" all the time and the regen feels similar to the Model S. On the Volt the accelerator pedal regenerative braking force, when you lift your foot, does not vary when cold outside. Pedal feel remains consistent always. This is ideal. I realize there are different engineering challenges on the Model S as compared to the Volt, however from a drivers perspective and for safety, the pedal characteristics should not change while driving. Just saying.

Sorry to get off topic here but I need to clarify my comment. (Since edited). Mods feel free to move.

I meant to say that regenerative braking force doesn't vary with cold weather on the Volt like it does on the Model S. I drive the Volt in "L" all the time and the regen feels similar to the Model S. On the Volt the accelerator pedal regenerative braking force, when you lift your foot, does not vary when cold outside. Pedal feel remains consistent always. This is ideal. I realize there are different engineering challenges on the Model S as compared to the Volt, however from a drivers perspective and for safety, the pedal characteristics should not change while driving. Just saying.
Perhaps this is an artifact of the Volt having some of its regen on the accelerator and some on the brake? Say it's 50/50. If regen is limited to 50% when cold then the accelerator would still behave the same way since it only regens to 50%. Since the other 50% is on the brake you just push through the missing regen and actuate the mechanical brakes.

I prefer Tesla's method of leaving the brakes mechanical even if it means regen changes on the accelerator. Of course the Roadster was/is my first EV (had several rental Priuses and hated the regen on brake pedal) and it's been 2 years so I'm used to it now. But my wife driving Model S as her first EV hasn't said anything. Granted we live in a mild climate so only have limited regen when Range charged and a few cold mornings.

This is all subjective but I'd say it's noticably weaker under 8 C. I'm in L all the time.

To clarify, above that temperature I can often bring the car to a stop/creep on lifting the accelerator pedal alone. Below that I always need some brake. It's also the point where range starts to drop off noticeably in the cold.

Last edited:
i'm not talking about the handle recess. I'm talking about the locking and blinking of the lights that goes with it.
Update on this:
I noticed today in my settings that "Walk Away Door Locks" were set to "Off". Presumably one of the firmware upgrades changed this setting. After flipping back to on, I now get the same door lock distance (roughly 30 ft) from the initial version of the vehicle when I took delivery (I forgot which version it was).

I agree

Perhaps this is an artifact of the Volt having some of its regen on the accelerator and some on the brake? Say it's 50/50. If regen is limited to 50% when cold then the accelerator would still behave the same way since it only regens to 50%. Since the other 50% is on the brake you just push through the missing regen and actuate the mechanical brakes.

I prefer Tesla's method of leaving the brakes mechanical even if it means regen changes on the accelerator. Of course the Roadster was/is my first EV (had several rental Priuses and hated the regen on brake pedal) and it's been 2 years so I'm used to it now. But my wife driving Model S as her first EV hasn't said anything. Granted we live in a mild climate so only have limited regen when Range charged and a few cold mornings.

I agree. The way Tesla handles the regen is far superior from my perspective. I like knowing that the regen and mechanical braking are separate. Once I got used to the aggressive regen on the Model S, I surely missed it when driving rental cars on business.