Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just like the new Volvo ‘s. If you release the steering wheel then selfstearing takes over.

Dependable linking of functions to the keyfob

Memory for the passenger seat

Possibility to switch rear window heater on by app

Scheduled preheat and charging with possibility to link it to shore power

Better high beam function

Better browser

Waypoint’s

And not losing settings after an update.

FSD

I'd like Model S to resume playing of a Bluetooth connected device when I re-enter into the car. Ford is doing that, why not Tesla?!

I test drove a 2017 MS 75D with AP1 a week or so ago and it did just that. It worked flawlessly, while in my current car (with Dension 500 BT aftermarket thing) it almost never works.

There is however the issue that my Android phone seems to put Spotify on hold when it is not used for a couple of hours, and then I need to start the app on my phone first. This might be a phone setting.

I have a Note 8.

We picked up our Model 3 today and I can't believe how much better the UI/UX is. Any idea if Tesla is going to incorporate some of the design changes for the Model S?
Congrats on your new M3.

No one here really knows anything about real MS updates beyond pure speculation. While we have received multiple new Easter Eggs that have no useful purpose, and a handful of more obscure new functions like Camper Mode that a few people may use, Elon missed his last committed "major" UI refresh for MS by more than a year. Tesla is also not great fixing known firmware bugs that have existed for years (especially in Media Player), or bringing Infotainment up-to-date with missing functionality that existed in other lesser vehicles well before the first MS was ever delivered. Most of that work could have been resolved long ago by a handful of competent programmers without significant investment and no capital investment or significant first-of-its-kind design -- IF Tesla cared more about total product quality and addressing problems some owners like myself encounter on a daily/weekly basis in their otherwise top-of-the-line premium vehicle, before they move on to the next more interesting-to-them thing. Only time will tell if Tesla loops back around to fulfill their long-overdue promises to MS owners who helped fund M3 introduction ;).

The “Birds Eye View” was super helpful in my RAV4. It basically showed a view of the top of the car and all surroundings, which made it really easy to back up, park in tight spots, etc. I bet Tesla could easily create a program to splice all of the camera views together to create something similar.

Reactions: jorobsand
Congrats on your new M3.

No one here really knows anything about real MS updates beyond pure speculation. While we have received multiple new Easter Eggs that have no useful purpose, and a handful of more obscure new functions like Camper Mode that a few people may use, Elon missed his last committed "major" UI refresh for MS by more than a year. Tesla is also not great fixing known firmware bugs that have existed for years (especially in Media Player), or bringing Infotainment up-to-date with missing functionality that existed in other lesser vehicles well before the first MS was ever delivered. Most of that work could have been resolved long ago by a handful of competent programmers without significant investment and no capital investment or significant first-of-its-kind design -- IF Tesla cared more about total product quality and addressing problems some owners like myself encounter on a daily/weekly basis in their otherwise top-of-the-line premium vehicle, before they move on to the next more interesting-to-them thing. Only time will tell if Tesla loops back around to fulfill their long-overdue promises to MS owners who helped fund M3 introduction ;).

Indeed. This is Tesla's monthly reminder that their top priority shold be to FIX USB MUSIC.

I need to be able to insert a terabyte USB stick, and immediately be able to browse the music "by folder" (I don't care about anything else). This broke in late 2016 due to idiocy at Tesla's programming team, and despite this being a severe regression they have done nothing.

Within a folder, all the tracks should play in alphanumeric order by name (at least it gets this right) -- I'll name them.

And there should be no "stuttering" or gaps between tracks. This allows me to play Pink Floyd's The Wall properly, for example. This has *never* worked even though it's a completely basic feature which is mandatory.

I have precisely zero respect for Tesla's incompetent firmware team at this point. They simply have no sense of prioritization. I doubt they even have a bug tracker.

This is a sign of a company where the engineers have been allowed to run amok and play with projects that they like rather than working on what the customers actually need. It's time for Tesla to hire some people focused on customer service, and make the engineers report to them. This may mean firing a bunch of the engineers -- or even giving Elon Musk, who is an engineer, a *BOSS* who understands how to prioritize properly.

Does anyone know if they are considering a TEXT alert when incoming texts are happening? That saves looking at the text on your phone while drving. I have it in my GT 350 and its a sound alert that a new text is in.
fred
I’ve not seen or heard anything official, or read any reference to one of Elon’s recent tweets that sometimes do and more times have not, resulted in delivery of a committed improvement or firmware change within a reasonable timeframe. I had the useful text alert and optional verbal read-back feature in both of my previous generations of Lexus and MBZ before I bought my MS more than 2 years ago. :(

IMHO, as good as the EV and Supercharger-Network-part of our Tesla may be, Elon and therefore Tesla, just don’t get how important some of these realtively simple firmware-only Infotainment capabilities are to an increasing number of us, and how having fool-proof and full-function basic Infotainment features (including USB) are to some of us that have come to expect from other much lesser vehicles for years. Tesla Infotainment could still be a positive differentiator as it was with MS when it first came out (remember how awesome the 17” CID initially was, despite what was on it?) -- especially since firmware functionality and fixes are relatively easy and low-cost for Tesla to create by engineers sitting behind desks, then delivering the changes over an existing OTA proven network to the fleet. ...but for me, Tesla’s lack of execution in any reasonable timeframe both fixing Infotainment bugs and keeping even rudimentary functionally current has become a huge negative with my MS. I love so much of my MS and being part of the BEV movement, but it’s sadly this failure in prioritization that has made me hesitant to both recommend the brand, as well as feel like I may own a non-Tesla brand automobile one day. Full-function and/or leading-edge Infotainment capabilities have simply not been Elon’s priority, yet some people keep buying new Tesla with behind-the-times functionality, perhaps reinforcing his POV. I likely and sadly won’t be one of those people buying a second Tesla when the time comes, if Tesla continues to leave its Owners in the Infotainment Dark Ages as it has for too long — while it keeps delivering new cute, but not-useful-at-all Easter Eggs that garner a quick bit of Press, only to soon be forgotten by most everyone.​

I would like the Android App to be able to control things from the back seat. For example my wife always rides in the back seat but I have to control her heated seats for her. If theses controls were duplicated in the app she could do it herself.
I realise that having no controls in the back saves money but future electric cars are bound to have small touch screens for the rear passengers.

Model S Autopilot Suggestion: I would like a SINGLE BEEP alert (that is not counted as 1 of the 3 that shutdown Autopilot until you stop and turn off the car). When I drive a) I keep my hands on the wheel at all times and b) I fully concentrate on the roadway around the car. The "keep hands on wheel" message and then the blinking light ring MAY NOT get my attention. But a single BEEP would! This small mod would help immensely and especially in the construction areas where the alerts can come every 15 seconds.

Reactions: pilotSteve