Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Specifications, Teases and Leaks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given that the most finished Model S prototype appears to be penned up in a corner of the SpaceX facility, my guess would be LA area again.
True, but given the car is supposed to be manufactured in San Jose, unveiling it in the Bay Area might help reassure local officials. Plus part of Tesla's cachet is high tech, and that means Silicon Valley.
Anyhow, it's a toss up.

Yup! That same link in this thread about 6 posts back!

It is interesting now that the low end is being listed at $57,500 - I thought previously they listed at $57,000 so that the post-tax-credit price would be $49,500? Maybe they changed their mind on that.

Also the 150 mile range -- wasn't that mentioned as 160 miles earlier? I wonder if things changed, or they are rounding down until they have a VP to test?

Tesla announces S, unwraps Sport ? Register Hardware

Tesla is also working in a quick-swap battery pack – changing the pack on a Roadster takes around eight hours – and a fast charger than will top up the 'leccy 'tank' in around 45 minutes.

Apparently, Tesla is considering letting those who buy the short-range battery pack rent the uprated version for longer trips, which seems an eminently sensible idea to us.

I'm glad that the battery swap and 45 minute charger statements are now public domain. I was told about those a while back but asked to keep any specifics under my hat.

It will be interesting if the company subsidises (100%?) the 45 minute charger in some strategic locations. Certainly in the UK it wouldn't take too many for them to be useful (in conjunction with home charging). I'd settle for that while the battery swap stations are in the works...

People had inquired about all of those ideas on the TM blogs long ago, but were basically told "not interested - impractical", but it seems times have changed.

* Quick charge.
* Fast swap.
* Rent a bigger pack for roadtrips.

It sounds like they still don't like the idea of a trailer (either ICE gen or more batteries).

It will be interesting if the company subsidises (100%?) the 45 minute charger in some strategic locations. Certainly in the UK it wouldn't take too many for them to be useful (in conjunction with home charging). I'd settle for that while the battery swap stations are in the works...

Whatever happened with the Hyatt Tesla charger network? If Hyatt just made it a policy to have a Tesla HPC at every hotel, I think there are about 1,200 high net worth families that would become Hyatt frequent guest members.

If I knew that my Roadster or Model S could always get a quick or overnight charge at a Hyatt, that really resolves a lot of issues.

They could even pre-program the navigation with a button that quickly identifies the closest HPC in the network.

Whatever happened with the Hyatt Tesla charger network? If Hyatt just made it a policy to have a Tesla HPC at every hotel, I think there are about 1,200 high net worth families that would become Hyatt frequent guest members.

Indeed, that has gone quiet.

They could even pre-program the navigation with a button that quickly identifies the closest HPC in the network.

Yes - it would be useful to have that on the sat nav. Even the possibility to plan a route through the network (with charge times shown at each node) before you set off. Then you would know that you had to stop at X for coffee and Y for lunch, etc. You could go further and have the GPS limit the speed to get you to the next charge point (with an override for if you are going elsewhere, of course) based on the curves JB published in his last blog.

Last edited:
A long while back I suggested the idea that owners could give auth to put their charger location in an "emergency charge spot" database in the NAV. Sure many owners wouldn't be interested, but I bet some would. Probably some mechanism to request permission from the charge spot owner to visit and use their charger. Some sort of security/privacy protocol would need to be in place, but wouldn't that be nice if you could see a whole Tesla charger network on your NAV as you drive around.

I suppose they could just login to the TM owners forum and post a message saying "I plan to drive 500 miles from X to Z, anyone in between willing to let me use their charging spot?".... But having things linked to the sat/nav would be cool.

Anyone know what the price spread is between the 150-mile range model S and 300-mile range version? I may have read somewhere it was ~ $18k but that was last year.

That would actually be really nice to know. I don't' have a job right now (graduated in May, crappy economy, what I'm trying to do takes a bit of time) but the job I'm planning on getting would not really pay enough that I would be able to get this car right away (I plan on saving). Of course, it could change when I see the final product, whether or not I like it, but I would like to get a Model S if I like the design and it would be nice know the price difference between the 150 mile version and the 300 mile version and if there are going to be in between versions, i.e. 200 miles and 250 miles possibly.

I do hope that they reveal the car sometime in February though and I am really curious to see what it looks like.

-Shark2k

My in-car Nav has resuraunts, (fast and regular) ATMs, and gas stations. It's 5 years old. That's Moai old in tech world.

There are already lists in the EV community that show charging stations. I would pay extra to have that put in my Electric car. In fact I think it would be a nice selling point.

"When you are running out of fuel the car asks you if you would like to fill up and suggests 5 nearby charging stations in our ever-growing E-NAV database."

Seriously, If the number one concern (left) for buying an electric car is charging, then someone should be working really hard to have the existing car solve the problem.

Last edited:
Not sure if this should go here, but it is about the Model S: Shaping the Model S: Tesla's designer talks form and function | MNN - Mother Nature Network

von Holzhausen may look like a very well-dressed surfer, but he certainly talks like a designer. “It’s going well and we’re 90 percent finished,” he said. “We have an opportunity with the Model S to refine the design language, the surfacing and all aspects of functionality.”

The article is from today and it does have a bit of incorrect information based on past articles/information. For example, they say the price is $59,900 and it makes it seem like the car is going to get 300 miles at that price point. It's short article, but it was interesting nonetheless.

-Shark2k

Last edited:
I suppose this story could go in a lot of different threads, but I'll put it here for now.

Tesla's great timing

A driveable prototype of the sedan is supposed to be unveiled somewhere in California, some time in February. "Given the way it's going to look, it's going to sell out instantly - but that's just me patting myself on the back," said von Holzhausen, feigning a bit of humility.

It seems von Holzhausen is turning out to be a bit of a spokesperson, not just a style designer.

They allude to a new pack with higher capacity batteries and a new cooling system. Were they talking about Model S, or a big upgrade planned for the Roadster some day? (Or maybe both)