Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S specs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I going crazy, or did they just add this to the page?

4038356087.jpg

If you look at the Roadster spreadsheet the difference between range @ 55 mph and range @ 75 mph it is 70% ...

Let's be careful with the round-offs. The original poster asked about 68mpg, not 75mph. The Roadster graph shows about 77% for 68mpg versus 55mph. With the better aerodynamics of the Model S, that figure may be different.

With the QC being advertised as 50% charge in half-hour, you can't double that time to get a full charge. Charging needs to slow down as the pack fills.

Finally, I started a thread about this, but no-one's taken the time to do it the way I asked, is that by driving slower you may actually reach your destination sooner since you reduce necessary charge time. Maybe I'll use some time over the holidays to finally crank out the spreadsheet, but if your destination is 275 miles away you'll get there faster at 55mph than to drive at 75mph and have to stop for a charge (even a quick one). Once the trip is longer than your range at safe highway speeds, however, there's some math involved.

If you look at the Roadster spreadsheet the difference between range @ 55 mph and range @ 75 mph it is 70% just like EVNow says.

Which means the 300 mile pack gets you only 210 miles on the highway. Or in other words, you can drive for 2 hours, 50 minutes and then you have to pull over to charge for an hour.

Which highlights the fact that if you think this is going to be your road trip car, you're wrong.

That makes about 650 miles in 12 hours. That is a full days driving IMO. Or 450 miles in 8 hours.

Yeah, this Sig premium thing is bugging me too.

I'm looking at the Sport model. I don't need the twin chargers or the parcel shelf but I do want the pano roof, tech package, pearl white paint, and sound system upgrade). So I'm looking at a $6,800 premium to go Sig. That seems like a lot of extra dough to me.

by driving slower you may actually reach your destination sooner since you reduce necessary charge time. Maybe I'll use some time over the holidays to finally crank out the spreadsheet, but if your destination is 275 miles away you'll get there faster at 55mph than to drive at 75mph and have to stop for a charge (even a quick one). Once the trip is longer than your range at safe highway speeds, however, there's some math involved.

Except it's really not an option to drive 55 on any highway. Even going the speed limit you risk many a honk and "the look".

I would like to drive from the Bay Area to Sacramento, about 120 miles (with a sizeable hill in the middle). While the 40kWh pack might make it, there would be no margin for error. I will either stretch $10k for the 60 or just not drive the S to Sacramento.

Except it's really not an option to drive 55 on any highway. Even going the speed limit you risk many a honk and "the look".

I would like to drive from the Bay Area to Sacramento, about 120 miles (with a sizeable hill in the middle). While the 40kWh pack might make it, there would be no margin for error. I will either stretch $10k for the 60 or just not drive the S to Sacramento.
Yea, I really don't think the 160 is meant for trips. It's better than the leaf, but it's really meant for someone that does a lot of city driving. A real estate agent for example. Or someone with a set commute distance, something like 40-50 miles each way. Even with a charging infrastructure, it'd have to be extremely regularly spaced at every 75-100 miles or so. You couldn't afford to miss a charge point if the next one isn't for another 100 miles.

Yeah. You want to enjoy yourself on the drive. Worrying if you'll make it there especially in a few years when the range starts to decrease isn't worth it. Plus getting the 60 kWh pack brings you a few other benefits. I'd do it if possible.

Finally, I started a thread about this, but no-one's taken the time to do it the way I asked, is that by driving slower you may actually reach your destination sooner since you reduce necessary charge time.

That is absolutely true for the Roadster. If your miles per hour while driving is much higher than your miles per hour while charging, it will definitely help if you drive slower.

The only restriction is that you can't safely drive at an arbitrary speed. I wouldn't want to drive slower than 105 kph on the 401. You would have to take a slower highway if you wanted to drive slower than that.

That's the same trip I make too (and why a Leaf absolutely won't work for me). You can drive between 55mph-65mph in the slow lane and not have many issues. People can just pass you if they are in a hurry (I usually drive when there is little traffic so that's not an issue). I typically drive 65-70mph in the middle lane and have never been honked at. No need to go 75mph.

The 160 mile pack doesn't leave much margin for error though (esp. if you drive it in normal mode). If possible I'll wait until the EPA rating is out as that'll give a pretty good idea of what you can expect, even driving at the speed limit. A rough estimate is 112 miles (160 * 70%).

If I have time, I'll edit the Roadster graph and update it with the latest consumption data given by Straubel in a recent presentation (which I assume is consumption data from the Model S).

Time to do some math here.

I base my calculations on Tesla's stated ranges and a simplified model for energy lost to drag (40% at 55mph) and energy dependency on square of speed for the drag, all other resistances independent of speed. Further I simplify that energy extracted from the pack is independent of power.

I arrive at the following table for relative range. I took it to 110mph because that is the top speed of the 40kWh model.

Code:
mph		55	65	75	85	90	100	110
drag increase	0%	40%	86%	139%	168%	231%	300%
range		100%	86%	74%	64%	60%	52%	45%
It becomes obvious that there is a severe penalty for going faster. Alas, many people pointed out that you cannot slow down in highway traffic without becoming a nuisance or even a safety problem.

Now let's see the figures for a brand new pack driven in range mode:
Code:
nominal pack size		miles
kWh
40		160	138	119	103	96	83	73
60		230	199	171	148	138	120	105
85		300	259	223	193	180	156	136
Note that these figures are based on a scenario, you drive (without AC/heating) until the wheels stop to turn and you need a plug immediately.

A more real-world scenario would be driving in standard mode where you use 80% of the pack capacity and have some 10% spare to reach your target:
Code:
nominal pack size		miles
kWh
40		128	110	95	82	77	67	58
60		184	159	137	118	110	96	84
85		240	207	179	154	144	125	109

If your pack capacity is derated to 70%, traveling in standard mode will take you
Code:
nominal pack size		miles
kWh
40		90	77*	67	58	54	47	41
60		129	111	96	83	77	67	59
85		168	145	125	108	101	87	76

*) My conclusion: If you want to make road trips with the 40kWh model at highway speeds and the pack is operating inside warranted parameters, and you replenish 80% of pack capacity (the fastest way to charge) at any stop, you need charge points spaced every 75 miles apart.

I'm a bit curious about the revamped 0-60 times. Tesla was stating 5.6 long before they said the 300 battery would even be available at release. Originally the 300 wasn't going to be initially available. If the 0-60 times are a technical limitation, that means Tesla could not have hit their 0-60 mark at initial release with the 230 even though that was the implication for quite some time (well, the implication was 5.6s with any battery). The other option is they are purposefully limiting acceleration in smaller batteries to push people towards upgrades. Except for the 85kWh battery, the 0-60 times for the 40kWh and 60kWh aren't particularly good really, not for the competitors in the space. It's average at best and I wonder how much that'll hurt them, especially the 40kWh buyers.