Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Squeaks, Creaks, and Rattles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a rattle in both the B pillar and the A pillar. I''m sure the B pillar rattle is from the seat belt mechanism. Brought mine in to Chicago last week, and they fixed the A pillar rattle, but said the B pillar rattle was attributed to the A pillar rattle. It was not. Went down there for two things: rattle and alignment. They worked on it for 4 hours. Neither fixed unfortunately. So, I'll be going back in soon.

I have the same noise from the same spot, had it since I got the car. First I thought it was some static noise from the speaker. It seems to get worse after driving for a while, when it's hot.

Please let us know if they were able to fix it. I also have the seatbelt noise on the driver side.

Btw. What's your car's VIN range, you'd think they would have fixed the squeak issues on the production line by now.

I had the same. Thought it was a loose connection on a speaker - sounded like static, but would happen even with the radio off.

Started about a week after I got the car then stopped a few weeks later. Hasn't come back, 3 months and counting.

I also have the pano sunroof creaking in warm weather. Keeping my fingers crossed that it might also work itself out in time. I'm giving it another month to see.

I also have the rubbing sound where the seat belt emerges from the A pillar that kinddog described. Not super annoying, but mildly annoying. Isolated that one a month or two ago but wasn't following this thread. I thought about some sort of lubricant but didn't want to dirty up the belt. Maybe something simple at the base of the opening would help.

My car has developed an intermittent rattle on the front passenger's side on rough roads but not when going over big bumps like speed bumps. It is not due to anything in the glove box.

It sounds like it is coming from the far right dash or door about dash level but it is frustrating that I cannot exactly pinpoint its location. Our SC already fixed a passenger's side A-pillar click for me but this is different.

Has anyone else had something similar? What is the fix? Thanks.

Last edited:
I seem to have a rattle on the front driver's side. It sounds like something small inside the door up near where it meets the dash... but sounds like that are notoriously hard to pinpoint...

It just showed up after about 4K miles on the car...

My car has developed an intermittent rattle on the front passenger's side on rough roads but not when going over big bumps like speed bumps. It is not due to anything in the glove box.

It sounds like it is coming from the far right dash or door about dash level but it is frustrating that I cannot exactly pinpoint its location. Our SC already fixed a passenger's side A-pillar click for me but this is different.

Has anyone else had something similar? What is the fix? Thanks.

I think my answer may address the preceding 3 posts. I experienced same. Thought maybe something was loose in glove compartment, or speaker cover, or...

Well, it turned out to be rightmost passenger HVAC vent. Since it never gets adjusted, it had started to rattle. After toggling it up/down, left/right a few times, the sound stopped. If that happens every 5,000 miles, I'll have forgotten how to fix by next time :wink:

I think my answer may address the preceding 3 posts. I experienced same. Thought maybe something was loose in glove compartment, or speaker cover, or...

Well, it turned out to be rightmost passenger HVAC vent. Since it never gets adjusted, it had started to rattle. After toggling it up/down, left/right a few times, the sound stopped. If that happens every 5,000 miles, I'll have forgotten how to fix by next time :wink:
Thanks tomas. That is an excellent suggestion. I'll give it a try. Nice and simple too.

Anyone else experience their seat creaking as it rubs against the armrest/center console? Thought it was the console for the longest time, but realized it was the seat. I've tried adjusting how I sit and everything. I guess I can stuff some felt between the seat and armrest.

New rattle just developed. Wonder if anyone else has this and what the fix is.

Left rear door/window area far back -- vibration type rattle when going over rough roads.

When I ever so slightly crack the left rear window the rattle disappears completely. I therefore thought perhaps the window seals were not tight and the rattle might be coming from the window and seals vibrating against each other. Compared to the right side the weatherstripping seals were in fact not as tight.

I inserted some slim cloth strips under the weatherstripping which pushed it out so as to make the window seals completely tight now with a rolled up window. But this did not solve the problem. Something still rattles when going over rough roads which I can stop by rolling down the left rear window any amount from the tiniest to all the way.

Any suggestions? The little rattles in this car are starting to drive me nuts.

Battling a number of interior noise issues. Seems to have all developed after service visits where they surely had to pull out various panels. B pillar seat belt, C pillar, passenger side dash (defrost vent update) and now a click in the rear after service identified a loose 3rd brake light mechanism. Anyhow, keep on taking it back to get these fixed.

I was wondering if anyone else noticed the pillar liner/panel material showing slight indentations after removal/installation? Its clear these panels had to have come off for some of these fixes and afterwards show very slight indentations. Perhaps where they were handled?

Looking at the materials and design of these interior liner/panels (I don't have Alcantara headliner option), Tesla didn't use soft materials, it is textured but hard panels. I was wondering if this lends itself to more noticeable to slight indents because hard panels like say metal body panels would show any slight imperfection. Texture helps a little but they are still hard panels.

Anyhow, wonder if anyone else noticed this?

Because it's electric is not reason to hear rattles.

I have had several. I listened, identified, and service deleted them one by one. The trick is to identify them.

I had a squeak in my door when I would lean my leg on it. (I'm big.) The plastic pins that hold the interior of the door, the entire part you see, were rubbing in and out of the holes in the metal part of the door. A little grease!

Again, had a creak coming from right under the 17 inch monitor when going around curves or over uneven bumps. Sounded like, as I pictured it, a diagonal brace that had loosened up. Turns out that was exactly what it was. The whole dash was trying to move, the brace had become loose, and creaked. It was fixed.

My car has almost 34,000 miles on it. It doesn't make any noise other than tires on the road.

Because it's electric is not reason to hear rattles.

I agree, many nicely insulated premium ICE vehicles are very quiet at highways speeds. I'd say many are as quiet or quieter than my MS's with its rear electric motor whine :) MS might be quieter at really low speeds.

Indeed, have to go through all the noises 1 by 1 to get rid of them. I was just surprised by the appearance after each service visits after a panel had been removed for some service item. It seems at least my local Tesla service department is having problems putting them back correctly as well as getting some smudge marks on the nearly white panel surface

So I have a weird one...my ceiling/roof (non-pano) has a rattle when it's cold. I can press up in the middle of the roof, near where the support cross member is, and it will silence it, but once I let go it comes back a short time later. There's no obvious sagging/drooping in that area that I can see. Will try to get the SC to fix it next visit...this took FOREVER to locate as it seemed like it was coming from the passenger side to me, but then the passengers thought it was coming from the center display area, but you'd lean forward and couldn't hear it as well...it was crazy. Finally we figured out it was the ceiling/roof.