Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The cardan (connecting bar between wheel and power train) came out of the power train.
It may have been a faulty CV joint.
Did the CV joint, (constant velocity joint, also known as a double cardan joint), on the axle shaft break? Trying to understand how it could come out since the axle shaft is basically sandwiched in place between the gear box and the wheel hub.

model-s-motor.jpg

It may have been a faulty CV joint.
Did the CV joint, (constant velocity joint, also known as a double cardan joint), on the axle shaft break? Trying to understand how it could come out since the axle shaft is basically sandwiched in place between the gear box and the wheel hub.

Yeah, I'm not understanding it either. Waiting for gearbox oil? Tesla uses ATF in the gearboxes, so it's not like some special hard to find oil.

Had a glitch develop on my screen this afternoon: there is a strong black line running vertically down the entire 17", whether I have one display up or two.

I'll perform a re-boot tomorrow; if it doesn't go away I'll report back in.... to here and the SC.

Has anyone else reported this one?

3. Drivers side auto-folding mirror sometimes does not fold out when approaching the vehicle

I had exactly this issue -- the driver's mirror would only operate about 2 out of 3 times it was triggered (both folding and unfolding). SC talked to Tesla Engineering, and they traced it to bad firmware...I had the .24 version of 5.8, and after they installed the .25 version, they say it's not failed to operate. I haven't picked up the car yet, so we'll see how well it's fixed this.

If you're on 5.8...24, you might be seeing the same problem.

Had a glitch develop on my screen this afternoon: there is a strong black line running vertically down the entire 17", whether I have one display up or two.

I'll perform a re-boot tomorrow; if it doesn't go away I'll report back in.... to here and the SC.

Has anyone else reported this one?

UPDATE:
Re-boot did not make the line disappear. So I went to the Scottsdale SC today, where they also both performed a re-boot, then a fuse-out-and-wait: no change. They said they've never seen this before.

So it's to the appointment-scheduling on Monday for a 3 1/2 hour screen replacement surgery.

UPDATE:
Re-boot did not make the line disappear. So I went to the Scottsdale SC today, where they also both performed a re-boot, then a fuse-out-and-wait: no change. They said they've never seen this before.

So it's to the appointment-scheduling on Monday for a 3 1/2 hour screen replacement surgery.

If you have lifetime energy usage data you want to retain be sure to write it down. They replace the whole unit (mine was done in July for a different issue) and all your preferences/settings/history will be lost.

The left side door handles have stopped working for me. I've attempted to do a relatively thorough search of the forums for similar experiences.
Initially, I thought the windows were just frozen and made sure that they were clear if ice, but I realized they seemed dead (no typical sound of the door mechanics working). I went in the passenger side of the car and could easily open the door from the inside.
I've called tesla customer service as the Montreal service centre is closed today. It's a huge pain as I'm attempting the majority of my Christmas shopping today and have to get into the passenger seat to open the drivers side at every stop. If there are people around when I attempt this maneuver, I sit in the passenger seat and pretend I'm fishing something out of the glove box. Haha.

The tesla rep on the phone said it may be a fuse issue. I asked him if the new door handles were more 'mechanical' and less likely to have this situation occur, and he said he though they were, but seemed unsure.

The tesla rep on the phone said it may be a fuse issue. I asked him if the new door handles were more 'mechanical' and less likely to have this situation occur, and he said he though they were, but seemed unsure.

The difference with the new door handles is that they don't go out as far (before you pull them) so that the switch can be adjusted to be less sensitive. There is no mechanical change.

The left side door handles have stopped working for me. I've attempted to do a relatively thorough search of the forums for similar experiences.
Initially, I thought the windows were just frozen and made sure that they were clear if ice, but I realized they seemed dead (no typical sound of the door mechanics working). I went in the passenger side of the car and could easily open the door from the inside.
I've called tesla customer service as the Montreal service centre is closed today. It's a huge pain as I'm attempting the majority of my Christmas shopping today and have to get into the passenger seat to open the drivers side at every stop. If there are people around when I attempt this maneuver, I sit in the passenger seat and pretend I'm fishing something out of the glove box. Haha.

One thing you should try, which is relatively easy, is to pull the fuses for the doors in your vehicle.

You need to expose the fuse boxes by removing the plastic cover under the hood (closest to your windshield, where the orange sticker for first responders is). If you look in the user manual you will find which box to access. There are three fuses that you can pull (I believe they are #40, 41 and 32, but you should double-check). Pull the fuses, wait 10 minutes, put them back in (make sure they are firmly pushed in), wait another 10 minutes, and try the handles again. This has worked for many owners with unresponsive handles, including myself.

Good luck!

No go on the fuse reset trick. Checked the fuses while I was in there and they were all intact.

One thing I did notice when I popped the panels of was a surprising amount of snow. The fuse box cover was nice and tight so none got in. Though still a surprising amount.

Will wait till I get a call tomorrow to see what's up.

Both sun visors had broken mirror cover hinges. Haven't see this on the forum but SC told my wife it was very common and they were working on a fix. They replaced them both. The tire pressure warning was alerting too. They found a nail! At 15,675 miles after one year, the 21" tires are still in good condition! Considering all the talk about tires wearing out very quickly, we seem to be doing quite well. The nail did cost $35 to repair, but that seems very fair!

The thought may be to pull the fuses to reset the system, not necessarily just check to see if they are blown.
That was why I performed the action.. I checked the physical status of the fuses as a byproduct of the reset.

I may try it again for > 10 minutes. Maybe I didn't do it long enough? Another thing I've noticed (now that it's night time) is that the lights are not shining from the handles.