TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

Discussion in 'Model S' started by DrComputer, Sep 27, 2012.

1. SoCalNick

SoCalNick Member

If nothing else, remember that you own the failed part, and it will make a nice coffee table.

• Like x 1
  2. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Or could be fixed and sold, or sold as is.

3. miimura

miimura Active Member

If they make you pay, the old part should definitely be yours. However, I would try "escalate this concern for executive review" under Ask A Question in your Tesla Account.

4. Knightowl

Knightowl Whovian

Much to the chagrin of my wife I keep all my failed parts when replacement is needed.

• Funny x 3
  5. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️ Fritterer and waster of hours in an off hand wayer

Me too. So far I have a door with an enormous door ding and a rear bumper cover with the mirror image of a license plate stamped into it, in my store room. The bumper cover might come in handy some day. It's really not too badly damaged. The door I was going to practice my detailing skills on, but I haven't yet. The one value I did get out of keeping the door was getting to feel how incredibly light weight it was.

6. Knightowl

Knightowl Whovian

Seems I have had another door handle give up the ghost on me. Driver side passenger door handle does not present and no sound at all from the handle when using the fob to unlock/lock/unlock. 2014 S85 95,673mi.

7. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️ Fritterer and waster of hours in an off hand wayer

I changed my settings so the door handles don't auto present. If I touch the drivers door handle or double press the top of the fob then only the drivers handle presents. An additional double press extends the three other handles. I think this will go a long way towards handle reliability. The only problem is when they do finally break the warranty will have been long over. So far I'm planning on keeping the car 10+ years if it stays reasonably reliable.

8. Knightowl

Knightowl Whovian

My settings are such that only the driver door is set to auto present, I love it so use it and expect that handle to fail more often than the others, but turns out failure is not always related to frequency of use, thus this latest failure.

• Informative x 1
  9. RogerWilco

RogerWilco New Member

I just got hit with the DC-DC Converter replacement (because the fuse blew and the fuse is not replaceable!!) for $2400. Admittedly, this is the first non-scheduled maintenance cost I've had on a car that rolled off the assembly line six years ago, but still... for a blown fuse!?!?!

Anyway, I'm wondering what other out-of-warranty costs that folks have encountered, especially on the early Model S's like mine? If it's going to be $2k-$3k a pop every time something goes wrong, then all of the fuel cost savings be eaten up very quickly.

Thanks, in advance, for info on the out-of-warranty cost of ownership of an older Tesla.

Mine is a Model S 85 (not performance, not signature) with air suspension, navigation/tech package, single charger.

10. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

Did you request that you keep the failed DC-DC converter so that you could either sell or repair it? (They have to return it to you if you ask for an out of warranty repair.)

11. RogerWilco

RogerWilco New Member

The car is still in the shop. I'll request it when I go get the car. Thanks!

12. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

I would send your request to them before you get there, so they know to not ship it off to be refurbished.

• Like x 1
  13. xAgyex

xAgyex Member

MP3Mike, what year of MS do you have?

I agree if the costs will be up there for every thing then the fuel cost discussion is not really an honest discussion.

14. xAgyex

xAgyex Member

Knightowl, the service team told me that slamming the doors closed can break the door handles too, so to be gentle. Basically these door handles are the weak point in the MS any year. So we all need to learn how to rebuild them and plan to do so hopefully no more than ones a year.

15. Knightowl

Knightowl Whovian

Yeah I guessed as much for that also and anytime I give a ride I make sure to point out they need to be firm but gentle when shutting the door and not slam them like they are used to with other cars. Pretty sure this latest failure was a result of that as it was shut harder than I would have liked a couple days prior during a work event that I gave a couple coworkers a ride to.

The thanks for being nice

/sigh

16. Vic_F

Vic_F Member

The bracket looks like aluminum, why the heck would that not be steel. BS to charge for that, at the very least the part SB covered.

17. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Assuming you are referring to the motor mounting bracket there is no reason for it to be steel, if properly designed, (and not over torqued by mistake), and the whole carriage is aluminum. You can't weld steel to aluminum, so it would have to be a bolt in unit, and then you have to protect from dissimilar metals interaction. Possible, but not necessary.

18. David29

David29 Supporting Member

I tried that, too, as I am usually the only person in the car. But I often find myself putting things into the back seat, and I had gotten so spoiled by having all the handles present that it was very annoying to have to dig out the fob to unlock the other doors! And on the weekend, it would annoy my spouse to approach the car and be unable to enter, especially in rain or cold. Of course, I could avoid that by changing the setting on Friday afternoon, and back on Monday, but....How soon we become spoiled...First world problem!
    I have about 9 more months on my warranty. Maybe the two passenger side door handles that have not yet failed will fail in that time, and then i will go back to driver only!

19. HVM

HVM Savolainen

Something wrong with Model S fuel filler:

• Funny x 1
  20. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

At first I thought that had to be fake, but maybe not :eek: