Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
jgdixon,
Yes, I had and have the very same concerns and sent a note via back channels to Tesla a while back.

In my note, I asked that Tesla get out in front of these issues. Some if not all are real and some may be hyped (the nature of people). All are a concern.

I understand if Tesla can not be on the forums for control reasons but there are many a member/mod that are close to Tesla and have their best interests at heart. I suggested one of these people moderate a sub group that has a thread devoted to each issue describing how many times it has happened across the number of shipped units, the possible cause and what is being done about it. This would be backed up by inside information from Tesla via back door channels.

My concern is that some "reporter" will comb through the forums and write an "article" using the forums as his/her due diligence. If inclined, one could write a very nasty piece. It would not be hard to find one or more agitated customers to quote.

I've never had any luck in sticking my head in the sand so I've tended to be pro-active on problems. I firmly believe that these problems are all small and that with a reasonable amount of quality communication they can be managed for the customer's and Tesla's benefit. It has been pointed out that doing this would put all the issues in one place for someone to easily reference. I do not buy that argument as the issues are already in black and white with the list (and risk) growing every day. They need to be listed along with number of occurrences and the corrective action that is being taken so anyone interested will see the complete picture.

I've yet to hear back on my note and the forum member that delivered it did a lot of "explaining" in their initial and subsequent responses. The fact that my contact spent so much time explaining the way things are to me was telling. I fear that the tendency to explain on a person by person basis will prevent any meaningful global action and will leave the door wide open for mischief.

Last edited:
The issue I reported yesterday recurred this morning. Ambient temp was 8 degrees F. Knowing that I could get the front defroster going, I started a low-amp charge and cranked the heat about 20 minutes before leaving. By the time I was ready to go, the cabin was nicely warm and all screens operating normally.

It appears, therefore, that the smartphone app will address this issue in most situations, but (a) the app isn't released yet, and (b) proper functioning of a critical part of the UI shouldn't depend on cabin temperature.

My completely uneducated guess is that there is a connector somewhere that loses contact when it gets sufficiently cold. This theory would explain the vehicle-to-vehicle, and even day-to-day variation we're seeing, if the connector was seated with different degrees of goodness-of-fit / tolerances.

My completely uneducated guess is that there is a connector somewhere that loses contact when it gets sufficiently cold. This theory would explain the vehicle-to-vehicle, and even day-to-day variation we're seeing, if the connector was seated with different degrees of goodness-of-fit / tolerances.
That makes much more sense than frozen liquid crystals. Or some other component which is subject to on-off cold effects.

Is anyone else concerned about the press becoming aware of all our concerns?

I'd be more concerned about a Regulator becoming aware of the issue and ordering a recall. The touchscreen controls a lot of functions, including the ability to operate your front and rear defrosters and your lights (if not in Auto) which are compulsory safety features. Imagine if Ford or Toyota drivers found they had no way to control these things until (hopefully) after driving for a time. I'll bet a recall would be demanded in short order.

I'd be more concerned about a Regulator becoming aware of the issue and ordering a recall. The touchscreen controls a lot of functions, including the ability to operate your front and rear defrosters and your lights (if not in Auto) which are compulsory safety features. Imagine if Ford or Toyota drivers found they had no way to control these things until (hopefully) after driving for a time. I'll bet a recall would be demanded in short order.
These controls are operable, merely unmarked.... Yeah, I agree, that doesn't help much.

Not sure how, but 4.1 pretty much broke things in my car that previously worked just fine. Now I can't open the sunroof, Bluetooth calling wasn't working and my door handles didn't auto present. I rebooted and things seem back to normal, but am concerned that many things went sideways at one with so small an update.

For those of you who followed the Volt, you know how things can easily get blown out of proportion by (a) the media, (b) Govt' regulators, and (c) politicians.

jgdixon,
Yes, I had and have the very same concerns and sent a note via back channels to Tesla a while back.

In my note, I asked that Tesla get out in front of these issues. Some if not all are real and some may be hyped (the nature of people). All are a concern.

I understand if Tesla can not be on the forums for control reasons but there are many a member/mod that are close to Tesla and have their best interests at heart. <snip>

I would hope that of all the threads on the Model S forum, this is the one that a team at Tesla are taking notice of. If that's not the case, then others are right, it will eventually turn into a PR nightmare, rightly or wrongly. As mknox mentions, if something like the touchscreen ceases to operate correctly at low temperatures, that will result in a recall, and a huge PR exercise...Tesla would be far wiser to get in front of that, otherwise all the naysayers will come out of the woodwork pointing out that a 'big fancy 'iPad' to control the car is great until it doesn't work, bring back buttons!'. I can see it now, so much journalism is cheap these days, and this would be an easy shot.

Last edited:
Minor issue. Hard to see in the below pic but the call times on my phone screen show 3 hours ahead of the true time at the top of the screen

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357227317.483262.jpg

See post 647 in this thread regarding black screen. I reported this back on December 19th. My car is finally at service in Los Angeles and they are telling me that they don't see anything wrong with it. Of course on January 1st and 2nd, I didn't have the problem however I did every day since December 19th. I'm hoping that this morning when they go to the car after it has slept for the night that they will see what I've been talking about.

I make no statement of opinion on these, just data points offered. Delivery was 12/31:
  • charge port door doesn't open (was true at delivery and service has been alerted, can manually be opened with a smack of the palm behind the pivot point)
  • passenger side rear handle won't retract as of day 3 of ownership. Told a rep at the store, she said she'd notify service for me.
Update. Tesla is picking my car up to work on these two items today. I asked if he was going to work on the car at my work site or needed it in the service center. He said given the newness of the car most problems aren't really "standard" known issues yet and he'll need to take the car into the service center and bring it back when done. Like everyone at Tesla right now, it sounds like he's pulling insane hours, so while I'm sad my car came with issues I'm trying to give Jason (the Tesla tech) all the positive support possible.

Update. Tesla is picking my car up to work on these two items today. I asked if he was going to work on the car at my work site or needed it in the service center. He said given the newness of the car most problems aren't really "standard" known issues yet and he'll need to take the car into the service center and bring it back when done. Like everyone at Tesla right now, it sounds like he's pulling insane hours, so while I'm sad my car came with issues I'm trying to give Jason (the Tesla tech) all the positive support possible.

How far is the nearest center from you?

Interesting to see the the blank-screen issue posted by @JimO S1837 HERE does appear to be identical to the blank-screen issue that I (and others) experienced. Temperatures in SoCal that morning were in the mid-40s, which is certainly not cold enough to freeze an LCD, but perhaps still cold enough to cause a minor gap in a connector? Which then expanded as the car cabin warmed up?

I have sent a complete write-up of my experience to the New England Service Manager, who promptly replied that he will write this up and escalate the problem to the Tesla engineering team. Until a fix is available, pre-warming the cabin seems to address the problem for me.

Minor issue. Hard to see in the below pic but the call times on my phone screen show 3 hours ahead of the true time at the top of the screen

Glad I started this dialogue, hope Tesla listens. I have the call log time thing for a while too.My last issue with the screens had the trip and odo not working. That is a legal concern too because of inaccurate mileage being recorded. A reboot also fixed that.

Last edited:
Interesting to see the the blank-screen issue posted by @JimO S1837 HERE does appear to be identical to the blank-screen issue that I (and others) experienced. Temperatures in SoCal that morning were in the mid-40s, which is certainly not cold enough to freeze an LCD, but perhaps still cold enough to cause a minor gap in a connector? Which then expanded as the car cabin warmed up?

I have sent a complete write-up of my experience to the New England Service Manager, who promptly replied that he will write this up and escalate the problem to the Tesla engineering team. Until a fix is available, pre-warming the cabin seems to address the problem for me.

Just to be clear, when I had an instance of the black-screen glitch it wasn't cold enough to freeze the LCD and it had been as cold or colder for a couple of weeks leading up to the (single) glitch. The screen wasn't dimmed, low-contrast, either (the way the nav display in my Acura RDX was dimmed when I drove it later the same day): it was black, not working, period. When it decided to come to life it went full-brightness and -contrast, instantly. I don't recall for certain if I saw the big Tesla T as it came up, as you normally do when powering up from sleep mode, but I don't think so.

As for whether we should be discussing these things openly on a public forum: I vote yes, absolutely. As long as we also post our attaboys alongside our whines, it'll all work out in the end. 3000 miles, and I love my S. Glitches are inevitable in a complex new product from a new company. The surprising thing is not how many glitches there are (not many, really), but how many things TM got absolutely right in their first release of a clean-sheet design.