Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My latest issues are the sunroof not opening (stuck shut) and the mirrors not pointing down when going in reverse? I have the setting set to do this... but they don't move at all when the car is put in reverse.
And you programmed them correctly (in addition to enabling the feature in the Settings screen)? You need to put the car in reverse, adjust the mirrors to the "reverse position" that you would like, and then save your profile.

Had a curious error this morning. It was a cold morning, about 17 degrees F ambient (and I park outside). The car had been charging for 30 minutes or so, to get the battery warmed up. I unplugged the UMC, got in the car, and found that the center screen was completely blank. Black as in off, with no backlighting. I reboot the center screen; no visuals, but the usual sequence of sounds tells me that the center-screen computer had indeed turned off and on again. Still no center display, at all. The car drove fine, however.

Here's the curious bit: the screen was functional. I could turn the HVAC on and off by pressing the center of the bottom strip, and I could turn on front and rear defrosters, relying on my memory of the displacement from center of those controls. I didn't discover this fact for about ten minutes (when the fact that my seat heat was on made me think...). After a few presses on the screen, the screen suddenly lit up -- not the boot screen sequence, but instant-on.

I chatted about this incident with the Service Manager and my DS, who happened to be around when I was getting my winter wheels mounted this afternoon. My DS, a former Apple employee, mentioned that some screens don't work in extreme cold. But 17 degrees F isn't extreme, at least by standards our Canadian friends have been experiencing apparently without incident. It's supposed to be even colder tonight, so I'll see if it happens again tomorrow.

Had a curious error this morning. It was a cold morning, about 17 degrees F ambient (and I park outside). The car had been charging for 30 minutes or so, to get the battery warmed up. I unplugged the UMC, got in the car, and found that the center screen was completely blank. Black as in off, with no backlighting. I reboot the center screen; no visuals, but the usual sequence of sounds tells me that the center-screen computer had indeed turned off and on again. Still no center display, at all. The car drove fine, however.

Here's the curious bit: the screen was functional. I could turn the HVAC on and off by pressing the center of the bottom strip, and I could turn on front and rear defrosters, relying on my memory of the displacement from center of those controls. I didn't discover this fact for about ten minutes (when the fact that my seat heat was on made me think...). After a few presses on the screen, the screen suddenly lit up -- not the boot screen sequence, but instant-on.

I chatted about this incident with the Service Manager and my DS, who happened to be around when I was getting my winter wheels mounted this afternoon. My DS, a former Apple employee, mentioned that some screens don't work in extreme cold. But 17 degrees F isn't extreme, at least by standards our Canadian friends have been experiencing apparently without incident. It's supposed to be even colder tonight, so I'll see if it happens again tomorrow.

@Robert.Boston: I saw something very similar to this the other day as I was leaving the garage; temperature in the garage was just above freezing. The 17" didn't act like a cold-soaked LCD, it was just black. I didn't try to operate any controls while it was dark, though. We sat in the driveway and futzed around a bit until the screen suddenly came back to life. I don't know if it was something I did, or just a random glitch.

@White: I've seen my Profiles 'forget' the rear-view mirror settings for Reverse following a software update. Try re-programming your profile's rear-view mirror settings and see if they stick.

Man.. finally got the dreaded power reduced message after dropping off a family member. They live 35 minutes away so I didn't want to drive home like that (though it probably would've been good for range), so I pulled over and shut down fully (interestingly, the car rolled after I shut down like it went into neutral). Once it rebooted I had full power again. I hope 1) not to repeat that and 2) we can get a limp mode option for increased range.

Wow. There's really no good reason I'm aware of for the backlight failing to operate when it's that cold. I'm assuming LED backlight vs. CCFL which means -40C to +85C or thereabouts (wildly varies depending on manufacturer). CCFL has a more narrow range.

What's the site that buys stuff and rips it apart to find out what's inside? They need to buy a Model S :smile:

Had a curious error this morning. It was a cold morning, about 17 degrees F ambient (and I park outside). The car had been charging for 30 minutes or so, to get the battery warmed up. I unplugged the UMC, got in the car, and found that the center screen was completely blank. Black as in off, with no backlighting.

When my truck driver dropped the car off, he mentioned that since the display is LCD, if cold soaked the crystals can freeze and the display needs to warm up. Shouldn't be a huge issue once preheating (smartphone app) is available--but a little surprised that it happened at 17 degF.

- - - Updated - - -

Tried to open my sunroof today (3 times) and it wouldn't open once. It made a sound like the motor was stressed and just gave up. Not sure what the issue is... but from reading this thread there CLEARLY is an issue that needs fixing.

- - - Updated - - -

I am having so many issues that I started a page to document them all and share the good, bad, and ugly. I realize the car is new/cutting edge technology, but the growing list is bumming me out.

Here is my experience with constant updates. - http://www.gadgetking.com/2012/12/27/an-owners-tesla-model-s-first-impressions/

My latest issues are the sunroof not opening (stuck shut) and the mirrors not pointing down when going in reverse? I have the setting set to do this... but they don't move at all when the car is put in reverse.

White, to explicitly address your issues:

1. Sunroof issue is a minor software bug in which the safety threshold for stopping sunroof travel is set too low. Will be fixed in the next software release, I hear. Happening for everyone that I know of, and is not a mechanical issue.

2. As strider mentioned, put your car in reverse, adjust the mirrors, save profile, then you should be good.

When my truck driver dropped the car off, he mentioned that since the display is LCD, if cold soaked the crystals can freeze and the display needs to warm up. Shouldn't be a huge issue once preheating (smartphone app) is available--but a little surprised that it happened at 17 degF.

But the "instant on" doesn't sound like a cold display. I would expect that the display would be dim at first and then get brighter as it warmed up--Unless there is some kind of circuit or driver software that keeps it off until warmed up. I doubt that's the case though because if it were there would be more examples.

I just had an identical experience tonight. The conditions were rather more severe at -20C (-4F) and the touch screen did not light up. I tried rebooting and I could tell it was booting because the HVAC turned off for a couple of seconds. The screen popped back to life about 15 minutes later, after I had already driven some distance.

I don't know if this is related to cold, or just a random glitch. It certainly had an impact on dealing with the cold, as I couldn't access some important controls!

I just had an identical experience tonight. The conditions were rather more severe at -20C (-4F) and the touch screen did not light up. I tried rebooting and I could tell it was booting because the HVAC turned off for a couple of seconds. The screen popped back to life about 15 minutes later, after I had already driven some distance.

I don't know if this is related to cold, or just a random glitch. It certainly had an impact on dealing with the cold, as I couldn't access some important controls!
Maybe a cold related random glitch. I've had it happen in about 40F temps and this morning in about 20F temps, but it didn't occur earlier this morning in 14F temps and several times after cold soaks in 20sF temps. Not enough reports to say if it occurs in warm temps as well.

I had the same thing yesterday, but I could just barely see where the buttons on the screen are. I navigated to controls, lighting controls, and set the day/night toggle to day, and then back to auto, then everything was back to normal. Outside temperature was about 48 degrees.

I had the same thing yesterday, but I could just barely see where the buttons on the screen are. I navigated to controls, lighting controls, and set the day/night toggle to day, and then back to auto, then everything was back to normal. Outside temperature was about 48 degrees.

I'm not sure it was the same thing. My screen was utterly black. I tried shining an LED flashlight (aka iPhone) at it and couldn't see anything. Mind you it was dark out.

I have reported similar issues in the Winter Driving experience thread.
Is anyone else concerned about the press becoming aware of all our concerns?
We all find these posts invaluable, but there could be repercussions for all of us if this all gets blown out of proportion.
At least on the TM forum you can make your posts private.

I have reported similar issues in the Winter Driving experience thread.
Is anyone else concerned about the press becoming aware of all our concerns?
We all find these posts invaluable, but there could be repercussions for all of us if this all gets blown out of proportion.
At least on the TM forum you can make your posts private.

Well I can chime in. Had the same issue with the console screen staying dark (see my post in the winter driving thread). Not so concerned about the press but TM taking our reports and concerns serious and providing a fix