Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Technical issues - Mods please disperse as needed, feedback else welcome:
Two days in a row, the rear camera did not engage when car put into reverse. Touchscreen reboot fixed it both times. Concern is that it recurred after first reboot.
This morning my car FAILED TO SHUT OFF when I left the car, even if I locked it. Radio blaring, screens and climate control ON. Would never have noticed and arrived to a dead/very low battery 9 hours later, but the stereo was blasting so was obvious. Touchscreen reboot fixed it - same reboot to get the reverse camera engaging again.

I am on V4.1.

Two days in a row, the rear camera did not engage when car put into reverse. Touchscreen reboot fixed it both times. Concern is that it recurred after first reboot.
This morning my car FAILED TO SHUT OFF when I left the car, even if I locked it. Radio blaring, screens and climate control ON. Would never have noticed and arrived to a dead/very low battery 9 hours later, but the stereo was blasting so was obvious. Touchscreen reboot fixed it - same reboot to get the reverse camera engaging again.

I am on V4.1.

Had to do a reboot of the touch screen today too. Everything seemed normal, except the media wouldn't play. Just showed blank no matter what I tried to listen to and no audio. reboot fixed it.

I am on V4.1.

I experienced similar issues today. Date-based bug? :)

reboots???? is MS running embedded Windows? (yes, I know it is not)

First rule of tech troubleshooting: when in doubt, reboot. ;-)

Oddly, this actually makes me feel better about the car. If something goes wrong you might be able to actually do something about it. I've personally always been much more comfortable with electronics than mechanical bits and bobs.

My current car is running Windows Embedded Automotive v4 and it has never needed to re-boot. The Ford Sync system is also Microsoft (although a different flavor) and they seem reasonably stable too. It is curious to me that the Tesla systems seem to need so much manual re-booting by users.

Technically, aren't they rebooting each time you turn off the car? I'd be curious to know if there would be nearly as many problems with the Tesla system if it shut down completely each time you turned off the car.

Technically, aren't they rebooting each time you turn off the car? I'd be curious to know if there would be nearly as many problems with the Tesla system if it shut down completely each time you turned off the car.

They might be, but if so there is no perceivable delay between turning the car on and the screens coming to life. I assume the Tesla system also re-boots if the car is set to shut down, does it not?

I saw someone post about software issues with bluetooth when the car is cold... I can officially say I've reproduced that bug. No idea why, but when I get to my car in the evenings (it is outside at a train station) and it has been VERY cold the last few days, I can't use bluetooth without a reboot. It makes no sense to me, but it is real.

Sounds as if something may be causing false touches to register at the very top of your screen, if all the spurious popups are related to functions that are accessed by touching the symbols at the top.
This seems to be the case. I need to sit in the car with a running video and see if I can capture it. It was happening repeatedly as I drove Jason (Tesla service tech) back to his car after picking up my car from the service center. He said he hadn't seen that before, though the Model S was so new he noted there's a lot he hasn't seen yet.

Fortunately, none of the top bar buttons actually do anything other than pop up a window, so it's harmless even if annoying.

I make no statement of opinion on these, just data points offered. Delivery was 12/31:
  • charge port door doesn't open (was true at delivery and service has been alerted, can manually be opened with a smack of the palm behind the pivot point)
  • passenger side rear handle won't retract as of day 3 of ownership. Told a rep at the store, she said she'd notify service for me.
2nd update: charge port door was replaced. The tech doesn't know the core issue, the part goes back to Tesla HQ for analysis. New rear handle on order.

Interesting note: apparently any replaced part (or at least the charge port) requires a software update. Not a version roll, but something in the firmware has to know there's a new part. I didn't get the details, but I'd guess each car has it's own little database or config file specifying exactly which version of each piece of hardware that's software controlled.

Picked the car up after 9pm and he still hadn't eaten dinner. Bought him a beer and sandwich at the local pub and had a really good time talking. Tesla has gone from shipping 2500 roadsters over the course of years to ~2500 Model S in less than 3 months (my guess based on Tesla's goal, not a number from the tech). Hard to time ramping up staff for that kind of explosion and it's crazy long hours right now for everyone at Tesla. I hope Tesla ramps up soon though, the human body only has so much physical, emotional and mental endurance.

For the Portland, OR folks, the tech is a one man team right now. Have patience. They're interviewing, but right now he's the guy doing the repairs, building the shop and installing all the equipment, interviewing new candidates, answering the phone, etc.

Last edited:
I ran into a sales guy at one of the stores the other day and I could tell he was running on empty. I'd spoken with him a few weeks back and he was happy and enthusiastic. He was a different guy when I saw him at the store so the big push is taking its toll.

Hang in there (Tesla) guys and girls. You have a tiger by the tail; it will be a fun ride.

You have the Canadian edition :wink:

You joke, but there could be a grain of truth to that. I would have to imagine the Canadian firmware releases are different than the US counterparts to address specific Canadian regulations. The example I can think of is that DRLs in Canada cannot be turned off or over-ridden, whereas in the US they can.

My current car is running Windows Embedded Automotive v4 and it has never needed to re-boot. The Ford Sync system is also Microsoft (although a different flavor) and they seem reasonably stable too. It is curious to me that the Tesla systems seem to need so much manual re-booting by users.

Tesla's system is way....way....way more complex and involved. Doesn't reboot every time the car starts up, and is earlier in its life cycle. It doesn't surprise--or worry me--a bit. These things will get worked out.

<snip>
For the Portland, OR folks, the tech is a one man team right now. Have patience. They're interviewing, but right now he's the guy doing the repairs, building the shop and installing all the equipment, interviewing new candidates, answering the phone, etc.

Yes he is working very very hard and extremely busy. He is more of a phone-call guy than an e-mail guy in my experience but he has taken good care of my since my delivery there at the (not yet open) service center. Hope he gets some help and a nice bonus!

While I also agree, I wonder how the average Mercedes or BMW owner moving to a brand new Model S are going to feel about it.

My thought is that by the time the average [car make here] owner starts getting their Model S most of the problems we're seeing will be already fixed. Of course, there may be some new problems, but I expect them to be comparatively minor.