Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a sound that happens whenever I first get in the car and release my break pedal. It's kind of a low motor hum coming from the front. Sounds almost like a pump, I can get it to happen just by pushing down on the break and then lifting again while parked or moving very slowly. Anybody else hear that or know what it is? It seems more distinctive than in the past, but maybe I'm just noticing now, and I can't 'unhear' it.

I have a sound that happens whenever I first get in the car and release my break pedal. It's kind of a low motor hum coming from the front. Sounds almost like a pump, I can get it to happen just by pushing down on the break and then lifting again while parked or moving very slowly. Anybody else hear that or know what it is? It seems more distinctive than in the past, but maybe I'm just noticing now, and I can't 'unhear' it.
I think it's the compressor for the air suspension. Same thing happens for me.

That is the ABS pump.

Have the same noise on the ICE car.

my only issue after a week in is a very noticeable grinding or buzzing noise from the car when I drive on the highway between 65-70mph.

it is pretty loud and sounds like *egad* an aftermarket exhaust note or something.

i have NO IDEA what this is. motor? tires?

I've got this problem too. For me it happens between 70-75mph, but around 70mph seems to be the loudest. I've got the 19" rims/tires and the tire pressure is exactly at factory spec. I thought maybe it was the tires, but the noise remains the same when I transition between concrete freeway and asphalt freeway. I'm now thinking maybe it is the differential. It is really annoying because that is the speed I usually drive at, and now I have to hear that constant drone the whole time. It overpowers the stereo system if the volume is less than about 5 or 6. All windows up.

I didn't buy a parcel shelf, and to be honest, I don't really want one. It would always be getting in the way with the way I use the car. The drone is bad enough that I'd consider getting one though -- if I was sure that would fix it. I'd hate to spend all that money on something that I don't really want if it didn't fix the problem. If anyone lives near Thousand Oaks, CA and has a parcel shelf that I can test with I'd really appreciate it (please send me a private message).

That's the vacuum assist pump for the braking system. Because the Model S can't draw a vacuum off the engine like ICE's do, an extra electric vacuum pump is needed.

There is also a separate air compressor for the air suspension. Adjust the height and you'll hear a different sound for it.

That's the vacuum assist pump for the braking system. Because the Model S can't draw a vacuum off the engine like ICE's do, an extra electric vacuum pump is needed.

That's what I figured. I wish they had a bigger reservoir for that pump. It runs so often and it's by far the most noticeable sound the car makes when driving around a parking lot, for example.

I wonder how many new sounds one would hear in an ICE car if the engine were completely silent. I get the feeling that a some of the noises S owners hear exist in ICE but are covered up by the engine.

True. I think the worst part is not knowing what the sound is. I had a GMC Envoy SUV back in 2001 with air suspension. The compressor sounded like one of those cheap 12v tire inflators, but I knew what it was and got used to it.

I think it's the compressor for the air suspension. Same thing happens for me.

I thought it was the air compressor, but since I can get it to happen over and over again by pressing and releasing the breaks, I tossed that theory out.

- - - Updated - - -

There is also a separate air compressor for the air suspension. Adjust the height and you'll hear a different sound for it.

Thanks, That explains it.

It seems to be getting louder/worse, I'm bringing my car in tomorrow for a tire swap (finally.. the 19"!!!) new door handle, fixed rear bumper chrome diffuser piece, so I'll ask my tech to take a look.

Follow up, at the service appointment yesterday, the techs noticed the sound, and it was definitely louder than 'normal'. The issue seems to be the vacuum pump for the breaks as mentioned here. They suspect that it might have come a bit loose from its mounts and it's vibrating against the frunk. They haven't done a tear down of the area yet (they needed to finish the other work I had scheduled) so they'll do it on my next trip down next week.

On another note, since this is the mechanical issues thread, the service visit was for the following:

1. Rear chrome diffuser piece on the bottom of the bumper was replaced because it was damaged by the car lowering itself onto a parking lot bumper, this repair is more significant than you might think, and they ended up needing to remove the entire back bumper to replace the part.
  2. Driver's side door handle needs replacing (still waiting on this part). I've had the 'door open when handles extend' issue happen with increasing frequency over the past two weeks (almost every other time now).
  3. Tire swap from the 21" to the 19" (they finally got my winter tires in… probably a bit late, but hey.. got 'em anyway)
  4. Condensation in the right rear reverse light that hasn't gone away since I got the car. They blew it out with an air compressor, and said that that might take care of the issue, but they said that it is not well sealed, and that they heard a re-design of that seal is coming.

1. Condensation in the right rear reverse light that hasn't gone away since I got the car. They blew it out with an air compressor, and said that that might take care of the issue, but they said that it is not well sealed, and that they heard a re-design of that seal is coming.

I was called by my service center a few days ago. The taillight seal has been fixed and they have the part for me at the service center.

I didn't buy a parcel shelf, and to be honest, I don't really want one. It would always be getting in the way with the way I use the car. The drone is bad enough that I'd consider getting one though -- if I was sure that would fix it. I'd hate to spend all that money on something that I don't really want if it didn't fix the problem. If anyone lives near Thousand Oaks, CA and has a parcel shelf that I can test with I'd really appreciate it (please send me a private message).

Nope, the parcel shelf doesn't help the 70 mph drone.