Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I drove my car on the hwy a fair distance with the heat set at about 27 ish (it's 7 outside). When I pulled up to my place and turned off my music as I pulled into my driveway I hear a faint hum like a computer fan from the front dash. I've been sitting here for about 5 mins and the sound is still there. My climate is set to off and changing the accent lighting doesn't do anything

More concerned then anything

Today I drove my car on the hwy a fair distance with the heat set at about 27 ish (it's 7 outside). When I pulled up to my place and turned off my music as I pulled into my driveway I hear a faint hum like a computer fan from the front dash. I've been sitting here for about 5 mins and the sound is still there. My climate is set to off and changing the accent lighting doesn't do anything

I think that's normal. I hear that too sometimes...whatever it is.

my only issue after a week in is a very noticeable grinding or buzzing noise from the car when I drive on the highway between 65-70mph.

it is pretty loud and sounds like *egad* an aftermarket exhaust note or something.

i have NO IDEA what this is. motor? tires?

oh, and my charging cable won't open my chargeport door.

any ideas? i searched the forum but couldn't find anything about the grinding noise...

I hear this as well. Sounds to me like a small fan behind the dash display. Previously I didn't hear it when the car was off, until I upgraded to v4.2 Unfortunately, the fan now seems to be on 24/7.

my only issue after a week in is a very noticeable grinding or buzzing noise from the car when I drive on the highway between 65-70mph.

it is pretty loud and sounds like *egad* an aftermarket exhaust note or something.

i have NO IDEA what this is. motor? tires?

oh, and my charging cable won't open my chargeport door.

any ideas? i searched the forum but couldn't find anything about the grinding noise...

This may be the 'resonating rear hatch' phenomenon some have mentioned. The fix is apparently to adjust the rubber bumpers that get compressed when the hatch closes, extending them a bit to make the hatch latch work against a larger compression force and the hatch thus be less likely to vibrate. I haven't had this problem so I don't know exactly where you find these bumpers.

I wouldn't say grinding (grinding sounds bad) but there have been a number of mentions of a hum from the motor/power train:

Road noise at highway speeds coming from wheel wells - Page 2

The charge port door is a noted issue, it sometimes helps to hold the cord above and behind the door. If you hold the button down and circle it around back there you'll probably find the spot. But I know service will replace your receiver antenna if you bring it in as a problem. I've just figured out where to hold it and it really isn't that inconvenient.

This may be the 'resonating rear hatch' phenomenon some have mentioned. The fix is apparently to adjust the rubber bumpers that get compressed when the hatch closes, extending them a bit to make the hatch latch work against a larger compression force and the hatch thus be less likely to vibrate. I haven't had this problem so I don't know exactly where you find these bumpers.

I had the hatch buffeting before adjusting my bumpers. This description sounds like something else.

I wouldn't say grinding (grinding sounds bad) but there have been a number of mentions of a hum from the motor/power train:

Road noise at highway speeds coming from wheel wells - Page 2

The charge port door is a noted issue, it sometimes helps to hold the cord above and behind the door. If you hold the button down and circle it around back there you'll probably find the spot. But I know service will replace your receiver antenna if you bring it in as a problem. I've just figured out where to hold it and it really isn't that inconvenient.

okay, thanks for the info..

That's normal too. Can't remember but it's a system arming. Might be ABS, child locks, something related to cruise control...can't remember. But I heard a similar sound in my old ICE when crossing a speed threshold for the first time.

I had that in an ICE a couple of cars back. It was the ABS and/or Traction Control "charging up" or something. If you just happened to be on the brakes at that point, you could feel it in the pedal too.

Yes! Noticed it yesterday and today. Called service and they said they would look at it on Thursday.

If you're referring to having service look at the 25 mph sound, I'd say don't bother them with it. After quick checks, I'm 99.9999% sure this is the ABS system check/activation sound. Do a Google search ('ABS arming sound' or something similar) and you will find dozens of comments on the same thing, from all different manufacturers. Happens to me right at 25 mph too, and likely everyone else. Almost sounds like a muted dot matrix printer head moving for a brief moment, right? (Had trouble thinking of common sounds that sound similar).