Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Obviously not sufficiently hellish. Since these torrential downpours started happening around 5 years ago, I've had to widen my drainage around my house to prevent flash flooding of my patio. Does that give you a picture of what I'm talking about?

Not going to get into a pissing match about it. I know what hellish downpours are, they've happened all my life here, they're the type that forces traffic to slow down regardless of what car you drive, and the Model S's wipers handle it just fine.

Want wiper problems in the rain? Try the single-speed, non-intermittent wipers in my 1964 Mustang.

Not going to get into a pissing match about it. I know what hellish downpours are, they've happened all my life here, they're the type that forces traffic to slow down regardless of what car you drive, and the Model S's wipers handle it just fine.
I think at least one of you is missing the obvious here... I'd guess that it isn't necessarily the degree of hellishness of your respective downpours that is different. From your postings, it seems to me that your Model Ses wipe at different speeds. Simple as that. Not exactly the level of production quality that Elon is touting, but I'm sure they'll get it right eventually.

Anyone else having issues with the scroll wheels? In my experience, the scroll wheels on the S are frustratingly imprecise in use: they have click detents that don't really match up with the menu items. Sometimes you have to go two or three clicks to move to the next menu item; sometimes it jumps two or three items. I reported it and my service center says they'll install a new airbag unit when they can get one in.

I am having this issue as well. Can a software upgrade remedy this?

I'm still going with the theory that the DC/DC converter has two channels, one that charges the 12V intermittently as needed, as the voltage maps show, and one that keeps a constant voltage that powers the rest of the 12V accessories.

When I took my car in today there was a firmware update for the DC/DC converter that was done. I didn't have this issue you are reporting earlier in the thread, but perhaps on some cars the symptoms manifest differently.

From your postings, it seems to me that your Model Ses wipe at different speeds.
I've gone through both of their experiences.

At times, my Model S has a horrible setting 1 and/or setting 2 experience. At other times it's perfectly fine.

These days it's mostly the latter (fine) but I think that's in part due to getting the ClearPlex + imbuing (or whatever they call it) that gives an aquapel/rain-x type experience (water runs off more quickly/easily).

At times, my Model S has a horrible setting 1 and/or setting 2 experience. At other times it's perfectly fine.

This might be more appropriate to post in the firmware 4.4 section but generally speaking I'd say that I'm much less satisfied with the wiper speed in version 4.4. I would have thought that they would have made the rain sensing wiper settings much more sensitive in version 4.4 but I feel like my car is far less sensitive to rain after the updated firmware. Prior to version 4.4 I almost never had to manually push the wiper button to clear the windshield and my visibility was generally good. However, since the update the wipers aren't nearly as sensitive and my vision is being severely impaired by the mist (forcing me to manually engage the wipers).

Not sure whether to post here or in one of the doors threads. I was driving along today, and while stopped at a traffic light I looked in my right rear view mirror and noticed the rear passenger door handle was extended. I thought that was weird and looked at all the other door handles and as expected they were retracted flush with the car. Just the one was extended. So since I was stopped for a moment, I put the car in park to extend all the door handles. Then back in drive. The light turned green and as I drove off I saw all the handles close, including the right rear one that was extended before. Seems fine ever since. Hope this is a one off thing....

My car sleeps in a very silent garage. When I approach the car with fob, handles auto-extend, car light up, etc but one thing I find strange is that when climate control is on (A/C off) , I hear a somewhat very strong compressor noise. Doesn't seem like a normal noise to me.

Anyone observed the same behavior

My car sleeps in a very silent garage. When I approach the car with fob, handles auto-extend, car light up, etc but one thing I find strange is that when climate control is on (A/C off) , I hear a somewhat very strong compressor noise. Doesn't seem like a normal noise to me.

Anyone observed the same behavior

Likely the battery management system ..... pumps to cool or heat the battery

For some information, this is "clouds burst and fall on you" rain such that the storm sewers on some streets are overflowing and spilling out into the street.

It's been happening fairly often in recent years around here. There's a reason most cars' wipers have a FAST speed which is actually fast, rather than the leisurely speed at which the Model S wipers go even on top speed. It's not good to get caught in a torrential downpour, but you can't always pull over and wait half an hour for it to end; we need wipers which can handle it. It's a must-fix because it's a safety issue.
If it's truly a "must-fix" safety issue, you should file a safety complaint at Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned but there is a FMVSS on wiper speeds at Standard No. 104; Windshield wiping and washing systems. - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
S4.1.1.1 Each windshield wiping system shall have at least two frequencies or speeds.
S4.1.1.2 One frequency or speed shall be at least 45 cycles per minute regardless of engine load and engine speed.
S4.1.1.3 Regardless of engine speed and engine load, the highest and one lower frequency or speed shall differ by at least 15 cycles per minute. Such lower frequency or speed shall be at least 20 cycles per minute regardless of engine speed and engine load.
I have no S, but if it's not at least 45 cycles/minute on high, that would likely be recall class (and I'd file a safety complaint). I've seen recalls for much more minor violations of FMVSS.

Last edited:
I was looking through the thread and didn't see much on the doors… I have a problem with my right rear passenger door. The handle comes out normally along with all the others, but I cannot open the door using it. If I open the door from the inside, it works fine. But it won't open from the outside. This happened once before … randomly … and then self corrected. It has not self corrected this time. Any ideas?

I was looking through the thread and didn't see much on the doors… I have a problem with my right rear passenger door. The handle comes out normally along with all the others, but I cannot open the door using it. If I open the door from the inside, it works fine. But it won't open from the outside. This happened once before … randomly … and then self corrected. It has not self corrected this time. Any ideas?

Bruce, is the LED in the handle still lighting up? If it isn't, you may need to get the handle replaced.

Bruce, unfortunately the handles have had a lot of issues/replacements. Tesla was reaching for the brass ring with this one. No one else had the courage to use this type of handle previously. They could not get the handles to work for the factory event-preproduction. There are lots of moving parts and sensors that need to work properly in correct order. One of my handles finally misbehaved enough that it was replaced.

I think that when replacement is needed it will be very early or late in the life of the car. The bad handle started out having problems early and the others work well.

That said, the handles popping out when I walk up still puts a smile on my face.

Thanks William13, Appreciate the response. I gotta say that when people ask me (and this is all the time) about my Tesla, my response is still always an unequivocal "hooray!". I am happy to be a "Tesla Ambassador. It is sorta frustrating though when I am reminded at times that I am also a Tesla guinea pig…
Good with the bad...

Bruce, unfortunately the handles have had a lot of issues/replacements. Tesla was reaching for the brass ring with this one. No one else had the courage to use this type of handle previously. They could not get the handles to work for the factory event-preproduction. There are lots of moving parts and sensors that need to work properly in correct order. One of my handles finally misbehaved enough that it was replaced.

I think that when replacement is needed it will be very early or late in the life of the car. The bad handle started out having problems early and the others work well.

That said, the handles popping out when I walk up still puts a smile on my face.