Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need Input:

1. Mile range drifts down when vehicle is not being charged. It is about a 5 mile drift per 24 hours. Temp in garage is between 30-40°F and interior is between 45-55°F. Is this normal?
When parked, I also see 3-7 miles loss/day depending on temps. It's not a problem.

You'll loose range with your MS sitting because of various vampire drain. Perhaps most notably under your control are settings for Display/Energy Savings which from my testing years ago can save or use an additional ~1-3 mi/day depending on the combination. There are numerous old threads with analysis and detail on pros/cons/variations, but an over-simplified net is: set it to Energy Savings ON and Always Connected Checked to have fastest access via the Tesla App to your vehicle, knowing it will use the most energy to keep that part of your car alive to quickly respond when queried from outside; Set it to OFF/Unchecked and you won't have the same increased vampire drain, but you may have to wait minutes for your Tesla App to respond as it won't connect until your MS does it's occasional check back up with the Mothership.

In addition, unlike lesser EVs, your MS will automatically cool or heat your main battery pack to protect it's health as temps become more extreme. I always have a few more miles drain on days with much hotter or colder weather. Assuming you have not been charging or set HVAC to stay on, to see that your car is actually protecting itself, occasionally watch your Tesla App and you'll note the inside cabin temp can be much warmer or cooler than outside because of that heating/cooling happening with the pack under your floorboards -- e.g. my MS has been sitting in my garage overnight, but the cabin is a toasty 68, whereas the garage is in the 40s.

There are other threads on pros/cons with hoards of opinions, but I personally just leave my MS plugged-in while it's parked in my garage most of the time, and let the MS handle itself when it needs a "top off" to deal with vampire drain if I've not driven in a day or two. There is no need for me to worry with it that way unless I'm headed somewhere like the airport or a hiking trip, where my MS may remain parked for days/weeks at a time when my manually turning off those Energy Savings/Always Connected options will help preserve more of my useful battery range for when I return -- loosing 1-3 miles/day under your control adds up if you're going to be gone for awhile and don't really need quick access via your Tesla App. In addition, your MS is always doing automatic things like turning off some of the antenna as time goes on trying to preserve your battery charge (it's why if you park for awhile, sometimes your MS won't recognize your FOB as you approach and present handles until you touch them) -- your MS becomes more aggressive trying to protect it's battery charge as time goes on, and I'm sure the logic tries to balance preserving what's left of your charge with protecting it's battery health (meaning auto heat/cool of the pack) as you approach nothing left.

===

Additional suggestion on rebooting -- There used to be a significant difference in how much got reset between what I call a manual "quick reboot" vs a "full reboot". "Quick" being: hold both scroll wheels down until Tesla T appears on the CID, then let up. "Full" being: put your foot on the brake AND hold both scroll wheels down until Tesla T appears on the CID, then let up on all three. I do the latter most of the time, since the majority of my ongoing failings requiring a manual reboot are related to Media Player (MP), and in the past only a "Full Reboot" reset the most parts of MP USB (sadly, updates in the past year or so seemed to eliminate some of that difference, but I still always do the Full Reboot process unless I'm driving down the road and can't pull over just-in-case. The "Full" reboot is also what Tesla Service has generally suggested I do for various problems.)

Good luck with that MS! Enjoy.

Bought a 2014 P85D third party just a couple weeks back with 48,500 miles

1) steering wheel scroll wheel broke about a week ago. Not sure what happened there. Called to have mobile service come and replace tomorrow

2) yesterday my son SLAMMED the door when he got in. It shook the car. The door handle won’t present and the paddle gear must have broke. The motor just keeps spinning. I looked at the odometer and I had 49,998.9 miles! Called to add that to the service appointment.

I had a conversation with him this morning explaining a) to be gentle on things and b) the concept of design defects.

I looked at some videos of the door handle repair, looks pretty straight forward. However, being an engineer myself the build quality of those handles are pretty abysmal. I’ll see if I can buy some spare parts from the tech tomorrow since I’ll be out of warranty.

Bought a 2014 P85D third party just a couple weeks back with 48,500 miles

1) steering wheel scroll wheel broke about a week ago. Not sure what happened there. Called to have mobile service come and replace tomorrow

2) yesterday my son SLAMMED the door when he got in. It shook the car. The door handle won’t present and the paddle gear must have broke. The motor just keeps spinning. I looked at the odometer and I had 49,998.9 miles! Called to add that to the service appointment.

I had a conversation with him this morning explaining a) to be gentle on things and b) the concept of design defects.

I looked at some videos of the door handle repair, looks pretty straight forward. However, being an engineer myself the build quality of those handles are pretty abysmal. I’ll see if I can buy some spare parts from the tech tomorrow since I’ll be out of warranty.
I'm having mobile service repair a door handle next week. I was quoted a price of $265, which is a lot less than the $800 number that used to be mentioned here at TMC for door handles. My problem is a microswitch but he said he would also replace the paddle gear, as long as he was at it. He said I was welcome to watch and learn (did that when he replaced the 12 V battery last year — it is in an awkward location on the older cars).

Way cheaper to do it yourself, if you are comfortable with taking the door apart. Since I am not, I am willing to pay for the service in my garage. (I am 300 miles, and a lot of mountains, away from the nearest service center, so mobile service is a big convenience.)

Yeah, just talked to the SC and they said they would bring a couple extra paddle gears if I ever wanted to repair myself. I think the toughest part of the repair is removing the door panel. I live about 75 miles from the SC so having them come to my house (and saving my vacation days at work) for $265 is not bad at all.

That's nice of them. I had a similar problem but I'm totally out of warranty so the SC just handed me 2 of the paddle gears and a hand full of the plastic rivets. I just did mine. The paddle gear is an updated part from what's in my car now. Hopefully the new design will last longer. I've taken apart my rear door panels 3 times now. And it's not too hard.

They came out and fixed it and gave me a paddle gear if I wanted to tackle it next time. Ranger technician was nice and showed me everything he was doing to get it apart and repaired. He said he can do it In like 45 minutes now but the first few took him a couple hours. It is good to see that the part was redesigned. Also, the thumb wheel on the steering wheel was a redesign too. As much as it stinks having those little things break on the car, I was really happy that Tesla is on the continuous improvement of current parts instead of switching to a wholesale brand new design of interior/exterior and no improvement of existing sub assemblies like a lot of other manufacturers.

Reactions: JRP3
Took a delivery of my 2016 model S 90 last week , absolutely love the drive.

We had some heavy rain in the last 2 weeks in LA area and I noticed water is seeping into tail lamp assembly. Has anyone else seen this before ?

I have the CPO warranty, hopefully this will be a no-cost fix for me. The challenge is to get an appointment at a service center, before any circuit or reflectors are damaged. The first available appointment 3 weeks away in LA area.
Water seepage.jpg

They came out and fixed it and gave me a paddle gear if I wanted to tackle it next time. Ranger technician was nice and showed me everything he was doing to get it apart and repaired. He said he can do it In like 45 minutes now but the first few took him a couple hours. It is good to see that the part was redesigned.

This is a picture of my broken paddle gear and the new one the SC gave me. Obviously a "new" part. Hopefully they addressed the weakness in the hinge part. They obviously changed the body and made it lighter. I can't tell if it's a different material. But it's updated!

IMG_1080.jpg

Took a delivery of my 2016 model S 90 last week , absolutely love the drive.

We had some heavy rain in the last 2 weeks in LA area and I noticed water is seeping into tail lamp assembly. Has anyone else seen this before ?

I have the CPO warranty, hopefully this will be a no-cost fix for me. The challenge is to get an appointment at a service center, before any circuit or reflectors are damaged. The first available appointment 3 weeks away in LA area.
View attachment 378226

They should fix that. My car is a 2015 and had it on both sides. And my SC gave me the "well technically the tail light works, just cause there is water in there doesn't mean it's broken. We only replace broken parts" And I had to pull the "No other car I have collects water inside the housing, this is not right, and should be fixed". Their response was something like "Well, we will do it, but we will have to word it creatively because we shouldn't be replacing this so the warranty covers it."

Mine were fixed/replaced.

I'm having two issues. The door handle problems seem to be real. My driver's door handle extends but won't open the door. Ranger coming to fix it in an hour or so. The other problem I'm going to show him is clearly a software problem, the dashboard (small) screen has smatterings of black pixels with a semi-regular pattern. This is almost certainly caused by data being written through bad pointers. Problems like this usually get worse over time, until something important gets overwritten, so after I show it to the ranger I intend to do a display reset.

The door handle design is faulty.
In the four years of ownership I have never had yearly service without a door handle repair or replacement.
Misteriously enough, my door handles behave and always break down 2-4 weeks before annual service.

The door handle design is faulty.
In the four years of ownership I have never had yearly service without a door handle repair or replacement.
Misteriously enough, my door handles behave and always break down 2-4 weeks before annual service.
You quoted my post from 2012! Amazing. My door handles were replaced and subsequently replaced again with the new design/supplier in early 3016. 6 years since then, no problem!

How long ago have they been replaced? I'm curious because if they're more reliable now then I might jump on a used model S.
While I think they are a bit more reliable than the in the earliest years, the S door handles do still fail. I had one replaced (the whole thing because the service center didn't have parts then) in 2016. As it happens, the same handle failed again a couple of weeks ago — broken wire to one of the microswitches, perhaps the most common problem. In addition to replacing the microswitch harness, the mobile service technician replaced the paddle gear, although the old one showed no signs of failing. The cost for the parts, sales tax, and service visit to my garage was $237.

So, I've had one handle fail twice (front passenger side) but not the other three. Go figure.

If you want to buy a used Model S you might just budget for some repairs, assuming that you don't get one with a warranty. The big stuff, battery and drive unit, has an eight year warranty on most Model S versions. Prices are way lower than when I bought my used Model S; assuming that you get a low enough price you can afford to pay for some repairs if they crop up.

All three of tour doors on my 2015 have had replacement handles (Passenger F & R, Driver's R), the Driver's door has now failed once, been fixed (not replaced), lasted less than a couple of weeks, fixed again and now playing up again (presents but fails to actuate the opener when pulled - 50% of the time). As noted - they'll fail, they are on Rev C, I think, and it's still a pain. Mechanical handles on M3 are telling (and a great relief to their service engineers I am sure).

Reactions: neroden
It usually is dependent on how you drive and what temperature you set the climate control to. So there is no way for us to know if that is normal or not because we don't know how you drive.

If I had to guess I would say it is normal based on how you drive. (For example, short trips in the cold will cause your usage to go up significantly over the same distance in one longer trip.)

Does this usage fall within specifications on a 37°F Day. This is the lowest I could get with ultra conservative driving in "Chill" Mode. My Tesla is a 2015 Model S P90DL. Drove at 65 MPH Max and even switched to 60 MPH at times. No rapid accelerations and use variable cruise control the entire way.

View attachment 383865

Also, Had to replace 1 rim and 2 tires from unfortunate road debris damage. Fortunately no other damage. Cost me 2K. Anyone know where i could purchase rims and tires cheaper? I see real cheap on line but not sure if they are the correct parts. Any feed back is always appreciated.

TYIA,

Harris Littman

Does this usage fall within specifications on a 37°F Day. This is the lowest I could get with ultra conservative driving in "Chill" Mode. My Tesla is a 2015 Model S P90DL. Drove at 65 MPH Max and even switched to 60 MPH at times. No rapid accelerations and use variable cruise control the entire way.

View attachment 383865

Also, Had to replace 1 rim and 2 tires from unfortunate road debris damage. Fortunately no other damage. Cost me 2K. Anyone know where i could purchase rims and tires cheaper? I see real cheap on line but not sure if they are the correct parts. Any feed back is always appreciated.

TYIA,

Harris Littman
[
Usage Example 322019.jpg