Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like the same problem I (and others) had: it's a bad UMC.

Ah, that is good to hear. I have Tesla coming out Monday to look at it, called them today and they were prompt to tell me they would contact me back when the SC was open. Which is pretty sweet, they are going to come out to my house. I don't have a SC out in San Antonio yet, so I guess they have traveling guys do the work. Sounds pretty open and shut.

A bit disappointed I had a problem this early, but frankly as long as its not the car I am not worried about it. I don't believe that it is the car and I was highly suspicious of the UMC myself. It pretty much points to it almost.

Same thing happened to me. They came out to the house and replaced it.
Hopefully this trend doesn't continue. Particularly for cars operating 100 deg F weather.

I bought a used Model S about 2 months ago from an owner in Seattle. I live in Phoenix. After 1-week in the desert, I got a service needed warning and Tesla replaced one battery coolant pump. A week later they called and said after checking some more algorithms, they wanted to change the 12 volt battery. They sent a ranger to replace the latter at no charge.

Same thing happened to me. They came out to the house and replaced it.
Hopefully this trend doesn't continue. Particularly for cars operating 100 deg F weather.

Service advised that there is nothing wrong with the pump, it is simply a communication error in software. They said engineering is hoping to push out a software fix this week. We all know how that goes. The software miscommunication causes charging to become limited at the supercharger, but has no impact on regular driving or charging.

Welp, after 1800 miles... my charger is apparently on the fritz in the car. Carlos from Tesla came out. Awesome guy and impeccable service. I am not upset that its broken, just a bit disappointed it happened so fast.

Carlos was so cool though, I can't be upset. Tesla seems to be taking good care of me so I don't even worry about it.

four warnings at the same time new car two months old

Does anybody had the same problem? Four warnings: ABS Needs Service - Traction control Disabled - Regenerative Braking Disabled- and Stability Control Disabled. All happened at the same time while driving. Also the steering wheel very hard, no power steering at all at any setting, sport, standard or comfort.
Stopped the car and called Tesla, they told me to turn car off, didn't work, drove to where I am staying away from home (I am from Florida on vacation in North Carolina) I have been without a car for two days. I was told yesterday they would try to reboot and work on it remotely and called me back, nobody did. I had expected better customer service from Tesla. I will follow up with them again today.
Anybody had a similar experience?

Does anybody had the same problem? Four warnings: ABS Needs Service - Traction control Disabled - Regenerative Braking Disabled- and Stability Control Disabled. All happened at the same time while driving. Also the steering wheel very hard, no power steering at all at any setting, sport, standard or comfort.
Stopped the car and called Tesla, they told me to turn car off, didn't work, drove to where I am staying away from home (I am from Florida on vacation in North Carolina) I have been without a car for two days. I was told yesterday they would try to reboot and work on it remotely and called me back, nobody did. I had expected better customer service from Tesla. I will follow up with them again today.
Anybody had a similar experience?
I have had this a few times, mainly in the winter when the tires got frozen in the wet snow. Going to Controls>E Brake and power off>shut car off, then closing the door for a minute cleared it every time. I think it's just an error that pops up when the traction control system senses a certain unusual condition.

My 2 month old S85 has what I think is a speaker power line short. The standard left A-pillar speaker crackles for seconds at a time intermittently, sometimes when I turn the steering wheel, but this happens even when the the sound system is muted. At other times the AM radio will suddenly sound like the voices are coming from a distant tin can, and occasionally with an echo, then 5-10 seconds later it returns to normal. Both issues are very annoying and Tesla says they will look at, but I haven't had time to coordinate a service trip. Has anyone else experienced this?

My 2 month old S85 has what I think is a speaker power line short. The standard left A-pillar speaker crackles for seconds at a time intermittently, sometimes when I turn the steering wheel, but this happens even when the the sound system is muted. At other times the AM radio will suddenly sound like the voices are coming from a distant tin can, and occasionally with an echo, then 5-10 seconds later it returns to normal. Both issues are very annoying and Tesla says they will look at, but I haven't had time to coordinate a service trip. Has anyone else experienced this?

Yes.... I have had the static noise too and it only comes from the left A-pillar speaker. It sort of sounds like Morse code. Doesn't last long. Don't think it is associated with a turn of the steering wheel but I will have to pay closer attention next time. Thought I would mention it the next time I'm in for service.

Yes.... I have had the static noise too and it only comes from the left A-pillar speaker. It sort of sounds like Morse code. Doesn't last long. Don't think it is associated with a turn of the steering wheel but I will have to pay closer attention next time. Thought I would mention it the next time I'm in for service.

Sometimes, with my cell phone in the cubby, I can hear cell phone wireless noises in the speakers. Move the cell phone and it goes away.

I think the noise that some of us are experiencing is that when our phones drop back into EDGE mode (Enhanced Data Rates for GSM Evolution) there is radio interference. I do not experience the interference when my phone is running on LTE and I don't believe that it is a problem when the phone is connecting in "4G" (whatever that this!) or 3G mode.

Neither Telus nor Bell run a GSM network, hence no EDGE, no interference.

An aside. If you are looking for data speed, you want LTE. With a strong signal I've experienced download speeds as high as 106 Mbps in BC. In Vancouver I've seen 53Mbps, both down AND UP! Makes me wonder how much longer I'll bother with a wire based ISP.

If the sound is a crackle or Morse code like, then it could be your cell phone as Duckjybe suggested. It can occur when a GSM 2.75G or 3G smartphone (or possibly the Tesla Tech Pkg modem) handshaking with the GSM network when it is establishing a data connection. You may have experienced this during a business meeting when someone had their phone close to the speakerphone or headset. GSM is used by T-Mobile, ATT. Issue doesn't occur with Verizon and Sprint who use CDMA. If you have 4G coverage with any of the carriers this noise doesn't occur that i know of.

I'll definitely check this, but in my case I hear the sound even when the sound system is on mute! How would cell phone interference do that?

Another problem I've experienced is if I plug my phone in to the USB port then turn on the car, the car seems to think there is an ongoing call and goes into call-in-progress mode. However, I cannot end the call form the steering wheel or the screen, mute the call or do anything else. The dash keeps track of the call time and the speakers emit an open line sound. The phone does not think there is a call so I can't end it there. The only way to stop it is to unplug the phone. This has happened 3 times now and is VERY annoying.