Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S to be on Top Gear US.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are trying to be entertaining with the goofy stuff but they really sre not. Its a very uncomfortable watch. As i wait for my tesla the last 10 mins of the episode was fun to watch.... I wonder how many miles they will get on those tires driving it that hard... :)

They are trying to be entertaining with the goofy stuff but they really sre not. Its a very uncomfortable watch. As i wait for my tesla the last 10 mins of the episode was fun to watch.... I wonder how many miles they will get on those tires driving it that hard... :)
This was easily the most awkward Top Gear US episode since season one. Really forced. You could tell they didn't really know what to do with those little electrics. I wouldn't judge the show based on this particular episode. The remainder of the season has been excellent (watch Alaskan Adventure or Off Road Racing, perhaps). It's clear they still haven't quite gotten the hang of the car reviews, and are much better at the construction challenges.

The Tesla segment was good, though.

Aside from the Tesla portion at the end, this was one of their weakest episodes. When they did get around to it, the Model S segment was awesome. Spoiler alert: Sweet grey/grey/grey P85+ beat Merc S550 handily by 3 seconds! You could tell Rutledge was genuinely impressed. However, as usual, the writers/producers are willing to sacrifice factual truth for entertainment value. To whine about range without mentioning the supercharger network is a severe misrepresentation.

The episode was a bit unimpressive... It wasn't one of their best for sure. That said, the Model S was impressive.

SPOILERS: I am not quite sure that a P85+ would out quarter miles a Camaro ZL1 (I think the Camaro specs out around .5 seconds faster, but I could be wrong). But I won't complain too much. I would have been surprised if it didn't beat the S550 though (which it did). Other things I noticed: they must have filmed the segments backwards because the range increased in almost every shot; the MS had a California carpool lane sticker (but only 1 not the required 3); Tesla needs to hire their videographer, because the shots of the car were downright sexy.

Very curious if anyone thought they were overplaying their impressions of the model s. I think any real car guy HAS to be awed by an S's performance. This combined with the "full tank every morning" is why I bought the stock AFTER I bought the car. It's just a matter of time before the real and full truth about these great cars is fully understood by the masses. Then look out!

I don't think they were faking their reactions just a little unsure what to make of it. Hard to hide the joy of this kind of acceleration.

Very curious if anyone thought they were overplaying their impressions of the model s. I think any real car guy HAS to be awed by an S's performance.

I don't think they were faking their reactions just a little unsure what to make of it. Hard to hide the joy of this kind of acceleration.

Their review seems exactly like anyone that comes from pure ICE background coming across new technology. You can intellectualize your expectations but the reality of what the car does astound the person. The first time reviewer seems to always bring the range anxiety baggage that quickly goes away with an actual buyer that interacts with the car on a daily basis.

Overall a very positive review as I predicted. They loved the car for the brief time they had to drive it. They lacked a lot of knowledge that we take for granted. A positive review is the best we'll get for now and I'll take it. Beating a souped up muscle car and a sporty Merc was just gravy. We can be grateful they didn't try for a bunch of laps and then whine about how the car powers down when driven hard for a long period.

What I thought was most telling was not the review of the Model S, but rather their experiences in the S10, the dragster, and the 944 - all electrified. You could tell that they were surprised at the times delivered by those vehicles, they had the preconceived notion that every electric car had the acceleration of a 1983 Yugo.