Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S to model 3 regret?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hey folks, anyone switch from a model S to a model 3 and regret their decision? I just got my invite to build a model 3 but it’s many months earlier than expected. I realize this may put me in a better position as far as the tax credit is concerned but I’m getting a little hesitant now in the differences between the cars and the unknown as far as quality, etc. FYI, I currently have a 2017 S90D that is performing quite well. Thanks in advance.

Josh

The Model S is a high end touring vehicle. Long distance driving in comfort. The model 3 is a smaller, lighter, vehicle better suited for the local day to day driving and parking. In the 3.5 years my wife drove our Nissan Leaf to work and parked in the parking garage at work she was side-swiped 5 times, and of course no one ever left a note. Each time our insurance paid for the repairs, but we paid the $500 deductible. She is very much looking forward to driving the M3 to work but will not take the MS because it is larger and she does not want it damaged.

We got our invitation in January, but we are waiting on the D option. She does not want to pay for the extra range as we will probably never need it, but I am okay with the LR. If you choose to wait you can save your place in line and configure any time you want. If she changes her mind and get the currently offered options we are able to configure now and take delivery within 4 weeks. You will also.

In either case, we will be keeping both the S and the 3. All our trips out of the local area will be in the S and all her commute will be in the 3. I am semi-retired and work from home, although I still end up driving the S several hundred miles each week.

I think you will not be as happy on long trips with the 3 as you are in the S. If you are single and only need one vehicle, keep the S. If your household drives more than one vehicle then keep both. jmho

Drive a Model 3. Borrow one, bribe someone with some beer, rent one on Turo, etc.

I absolutely love my wife’s Model 3, but I’d still take my 2017 S75 over it any day of the week. The S75 just feels more luxurious, more magic-carpet-ride feeling, more enveloping, and more spacious. The Model 3 has a ton things going for it - but I do feel that the Model S is still the ‘nicer’ car.

hey folks, anyone switch from a model S to a model 3 and regret their decision?...... I currently have a 2017 S90D that is performing quite well.
From what I’ve seen, most of the Model S owners that are switching are going from pre-autopilot cars, so they’re gaining considerably more range and AP hardware.

Quite frankly, if I had an AP2 S or X, I wouldn’t even be considering switching. While Model 3 does have coat hooks and a longer queue, your Model S is still definitely a better car. Enjoy it!

Based on the threads that I have read, most S owners don't seem to regret the decision.

Makes me wonder if this is like an arranged marriage situation (not throwing shade on arranged marriage which happens to be my heritage) where an S owner plunked down $60K...bam...sight unseen, and didn't even have a chance to drive the 3 until delivery day and now are saying...well she is great, not the Model S but great.

Or, is the 3 just that good where they would objectively say (after the novelty wears off and they are dime a dozen on the road)...given what I know now, would switch to a 3 again?

Objectively, your question can’t be answered.
This is it a very subjective question and will differ depending on who ask. No one can answer for you.

I have driven Tesla’s since 2010, including an 85, 70D w AP1, as well as my wite’s X.

For me, I love the Model 3. If the Model 3 cost what a Model S does, and the Model S cost what the Model 3 does, I would still buy the Model 3.

But that is me.
I would second the idea above. Rent or borrow one, drive it for a while and see what you think.

Not comparable cars. You can regret the difference in refinement and features. But maybe not the 50-80% higher price tag?

Now, as Graffi notes above, our 3 is replacing a Leaf. Um there’s absolutely no regret whatsoever. Yes we have the LR and PUP, so that isnt fair. But if we had a SR and all the seats were textile, the answer would be the same.

It really depends on what makes you love your MS. They will both drive like a Tesla and will feel similar when comparing it to an ICE vehicle. As others mentioned, the size/weight difference between S and 3 will change the driving characteristics.

Aside from the driving experience, the main difference between S and 3 IMO is how evolved the design is. Model S interface (I refer to all parts we interact with, not just the touchscreen) resembles a traditional ICE car way more than Model 3. In the design world, you never want to make huge leaps because people will outright reject it. Had Model 3 come first, people would have likely rejected it because it's too different from what they know. Even now, some people are trying to come to terms with the cockpit design of the 3. Switching from S to 3 means you'll have to adjust to the new paradigm. It will be easier than someone going from ICE to 3, but I think that's where any challenge would be.

Reactions: yngwiescruggs
From what I’ve seen, most of the Model S owners that are switching are going from pre-autopilot cars, so they’re gaining considerably more range and AP hardware.

This is me. My S was one of the very last non-AP models produced in 3Q14 (some people in CA took delivery of their AP cars before my non-AP car was delivered to TX). I could really use the extra 45 miles of range on usual road trips. Additonally, owning a $100k car is not really something I would normally do - this was a special case.

As with earlier comments, I would only switch if it as a pre-AP model S. Otherwise, it is a hard switch if you already have a S. Unlike the previous member, I actually use my model 3 as my commute car. Although the ride is not as luxurious as my X, I feel better using the 3 as my commute just because I don't like burning 100+ miles per day on a $100K car. The 3 in my mind is a small step down--the best way to describe it is like going from a 5 series BMW to a 3 series. You go from a nice touring sedan to a little sports car with less amenities. It definitely is great for a everyday driving car (parking and simply getting around town).The X gets used on longer trips and family outings.

Based on the threads that I have read, most S owners don't seem to regret the decision.

Makes me wonder if this is like an arranged marriage situation (not throwing shade on arranged marriage which happens to be my heritage) where an S owner plunked down $60K...bam...sight unseen, and didn't even have a chance to drive the 3 until delivery day and now are saying...well she is great, not the Model S but great.

Or, is the 3 just that good where they would objectively say (after the novelty wears off and they are dime a dozen on the road)...given what I know now, would switch to a 3 again?
Probably some level of rationalization going on for people too. When we make pretty major decisions that we can’t go back on (Sell Model S, buy Model 3) our brains tend to fill in the blanks and make us feel more comfortable and happy with our decision. I am not at all saying it’s a bad thing or even 100% what people are doing who say they like the 3 better because there are definitely huge strengths for the 3, but there’s plenty of psych research in this area of decision making that can inform our interpretations of reviews. Plus there seem to be quite a few people that still own both and prefer their 3!

Reactions: croman and Atlantan
not sure about long term consequences of either, but after having spent a few hours in a 2017 MS last year and recently delivered 3 a few weeks ago, I definitely would go with the S. It’s just a better, nicer car overall. In fact, if I could go back in time, I would’ve slept in on 3/31/16 instead of getting up to stand in line for hours to reserve a 3 and invested to $1k deposit in a cryptocurrency that would’ve let me buy an S worry-free today. As such, I’ve cancelled the 3 for a few reasons - mainly delays and being underwelhmed by the car in-person - and am now looking for a different car. Hoping to see another CPO S firesale sometime soon!

With an impending (I hope) chance to configure Model 3 AWD, I’ve been switching daily between my 2015 AP1 S85D and my wife’s Model 3. And, my “choice” been ping-ponging back just as fast, just like AP1 in its earliest days!

Definite personality difference. For skiers in the crowd, like comparing stainless steel Volant GSers with Atomic slalom models. One is a smooth-at-speed long-radius slicer. The other is a playful, far more fun, dancer. Which is better? Whichever you drive last!

What I will note: The Model 3 has one very real advantage as a road-trip car: Charging speed. Because it only uses about four-fifths as much energy per miles, it gains about five-fourths (125%) as many miles per energy unit added.

This helps at Superchargers. And, it helps at most destination chargers. Our 85D can charge at 80A, versus 48A for the M3. However, most destination chargers we’ve encountered at hotels max out at 32-40A.

As for comfort and capacity on road trips, Model S wins, but Model 3 comes closer than one might expect.

And, unless you’ve got an S100D, the M3’s range and charging speed advantage will cut travel time. In our S, we’d averaged five and one-half hours for the uphill 300-mile trip to Mammoth and five for the downhill return. M3 cut half an hour in both directions ... including a no-charge-stop return.

@Joshuak172 What was your motivation for putting in the deposit on the 3? I assume it was before you purchased the S? What are you expecting out of the 3? You will loose a chunk of change on the depreciation of your current car, so it won't be money savings IMHO. Knowing what you are looking for might help guide an answer.

I reserved a 3, ended up buying an S last year. Still holding on the 3 reservation for wife car, but going to wait until her car is really on life support. It has 150k+ miles. But I would rather offset my new car purchases in time for financial reasons. Sucks to buy two cars at once! Also, she would love a heated steering wheel. Not a show stopper, but if it was there would have ordered on day one (or Jan 11, 2018 when I was offered the opportunity to configure/order).

Edit: Also, if it isn't urgent, I'd find a test drive somewhere...

not sure about long term consequences of either, but after having spent a few hours in a 2017 MS last year and recently delivered 3 a few weeks ago, I definitely would go with the S. It’s just a better, nicer car overall. In fact, if I could go back in time, I would’ve slept in on 3/31/16 instead of getting up to stand in line for hours to reserve a 3 and invested to $1k deposit in a cryptocurrency that would’ve let me buy an S worry-free today. As such, I’ve cancelled the 3 for a few reasons - mainly delays and being underwelhmed by the car in-person - and am now looking for a different car. Hoping to see another CPO S firesale sometime soon!

Obviously this is a personal thing. Different people value different things in cars. I'll just say as somebody who has driven a Model S daily for the last 5 years and a Model 3 daily for the last month I can't see myself ever owning an S again. If they were the same price I'd have to think long and hard about which to get, but mostly about the easier ability in the S to pack more stuff (which matters a couple times a year). For my commute I prefer the 3 hands down. Eventually we'll probably get a Model Y for my wife to fulfill the desire for a Tesla that can pack more stuff.

I sold my 2016 S90D and went to the Model 3. There are some things I miss:
- Power liftgate
- Hatchback/trunk space
- More frunk space
- Smoother touring ride on my long road trips
- Free supercharging

Do I regret it? As in, if I can go back in time would I change what I did? Nope. I love the Model 3 so far. I thought I'd really miss the gauges/binnacle in front of me, and although it's really nice to have, I don't even think about it anymore. The 3 is a lot more fun to drive, tighter turning radius, very nimble, sporty/quick. I used to have a BMW M2, and to me, that is one of the ultimate "affordable" sports cars. With the 3, I got to stay in the Tesla brand, but get back some of the fun of my M2.

tl:dr Don't regret. TM3 great for daily commute to work, very fun. S90D better for long smooth road trips, especially with family and luggage/stuff in car.

After many months of Model 3 info, videos, reviews etc........I finally saw one in person the other day at Syosset SC. Maybe I expected too much but I was not overly impressed. I had reserved one with the intention of downsizing from a Yukon XL but fell for the test drive and purchased the S. :cool:
I have NOT driven it so this is only an up close look and opinion but it's not a 60k car to me. More like a Mazda 3, but better. Of course it's all in perspective: I drive a Model S and love it! I do not want smaller. If I were wealthy I may have gotten one for my 21 year old son. It's a perfect car for him. But, he's on his own. :)[/QUOTE]

• Funny
Reactions: UkrHog and 206er