Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S to the Nürburgring Next Week!

Would Elon Announce a Nürburgring Visit Without Already Knowing the S Would Beat the Taycan’s Time?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Tesla's Planning a Nurburgring Lap, They Forgot to Tell the Nurburgring

Does not surprise me one bit if Elon didn't actually schedule anything.

If one is going to launch an insurance product, one might actually have a person or two check the rates to see if they make ANY frieken sense before making it public.
Actually I checked Misha’s company Apex-Nurburgring’s website. They have a track day on Monday. Since he is the guy revealed the test car on instagram, they may just squeeze in the sessions to do a demo lap?

I doubt whether this will be an official record or not.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
If Tesla's Planning a Nurburgring Lap, They Forgot to Tell the Nurburgring

Does not surprise me one bit if Elon didn't actually schedule anything.

If one is going to launch an insurance product, one might actually have a person or two check the rates to see if they make ANY frieken sense before making it public.
Yep. First question that popped up in my head yesterday was "which next week?" :)
It will be real funny if Porsche releases Model S Nurburgring time before Tesla does. How many think Porsche hasn't tried that?

Reactions: MXWing
if you guys know Porsche's history
Well, there's this:

2012-337625-ferdinand-porsche-with-hitler1.jpg

So maybe don't be too proud of Porsche history.

Last edited:
Well, there's this:

2012-337625-ferdinand-porsche-with-hitler1.jpg

So maybe don't be too proud of Porsche history.

It's a different time and a different generation.

Mitsubishi used American POWs as slave labor in WW2 and killed many American's with their Zeros during Pearl Harbor.

I didn't find it morally objectionable to install Mitsubishi Solar Panels on my roof or own a Mitsubishi TV.

Hilton actually has a chain of hotels in Hanoi.

upload_2019-9-6_19-31-45.png

I'll clown on the Taycan for being stupid expensive as you can buy a Performance X that can tow a Performance S, and a Performance 3 behind it and might possibly have more range and better straight line performance still. ;)

Not sure if past ties to Nazism is the right way to go about it as its almost 100 years ago.

Last edited:
The raven Model S has entirely new drivetrain and battery cooling,

I don't believe it actually does have equivalent cooling as Model 3P though, that's why it can't supercharge at 250 kW yet for example. I might have missed info on the cooling system change though. The way the model 3 uses the AC compressor for track mode is crazy effective.

The perm magnet motor is the same, yes, but that's only half of it. I've tracked my Model 3 P with and without track mode (i.e that extra cooling kick) and the difference is MASSIVE and i don't believe Raven has it yet.

My money is on Elon unveiling a new Model S with track mode, maybe even that infamous refresh. They'd need some sort of track mode type cooling, brake pads + fluid and decent tires and it should hold up alright.

Selling a new level of Model S makes sense with the recent price changes too, you'd have one at $80K, $100K and maybe $110-120K for a track pack or something.

Last edited:
HUGE difference running a P100DL and a current P RAVEN

Is there? There are differences but has anyone really compared the two on track? There's not much difference at the drag strip, a couple of tenths in the quarter mile. They still have the same rear motor and same brakes (IMO the biggest weak point on track). The suspension is adaptable, but that's more to be able to smooth out the ride than to make it more track focused. Unless Tesla has done something transformative to the Raven's battery cooling system, I'm guessing there won't be a lot in it at the track.

Reactions: ucmndd and ICUDoc
Is there? There are differences but has anyone really compared the two on track? There's not much difference at the drag strip, a couple of tenths in the quarter mile. They still have the same rear motor and same brakes (IMO the biggest weak point on track). The suspension is adaptable, but that's more to be able to smooth out the ride than to make it more track focused. Unless Tesla has done something transformative to the Raven's battery cooling system, I'm guessing there won't be a lot in it at the track.

It was never the battery cooling holding the P100DL back in any data stream I've seen - it's the heating of the drive motor rotors that forces the car to rein in the power.

The Raven has the PMSR front motor which doesn't heat up the same way, so we should expect it to get a lot further without limiting. No idea if the induction rear unit has any improvements, or the new rev E pack might.

Whether the pack cooling will now be an issue, whether it can push as hard as a P3D or a Taycan, these are open questions at the moment. But the previous biggest limitation has been cut back substantially just by the PMSR switch.

My apologies if it is already posted here; didn't go through all 10 pages, and coincidentally as I am watching the European tour Porsche open from Hamburg, this will show how easy it is to die trying this

Last edited:
Reactions: gowthamn
It was never the battery cooling holding the P100DL back in any data stream I've seen - it's the heating of the drive motor rotors that forces the car to rein in the power.

The Raven has the PMSR front motor which doesn't heat up the same way, so we should expect it to get a lot further without limiting. No idea if the induction rear unit has any improvements, or the new rev E pack might.

Whether the pack cooling will now be an issue, whether it can push as hard as a P3D or a Taycan, these are open questions at the moment. But the previous biggest limitation has been cut back substantially just by the PMSR switch.

If the rear motor is the same or very similar in both the P100D and the Raven, wouldn't the limitations be similar due to it being the weakest link? The front motor may be fine, but wouldn't the rear motor heat up in a similar fashion, thus effectively limiting overall performance at roughly the same time in both cars? I'm by no means an expert, and I'm genuinely curious about this.

If the rear motor is the same or very similar in both the P100D and the Raven, wouldn't the limitations be similar due to it being the weakest link? The front motor may be fine, but wouldn't the rear motor heat up in a similar fashion, thus effectively limiting overall performance at roughly the same time in both cars? I'm by no means an expert, and I'm genuinely curious about this.

The front motor on the P3D is the same induction type as the S/X rear motors, but it doesn't see that.

If the rear motor is the same, it will become a limitation when the same amount of power per unit time is pushed through it. But that's not at all the same as what you said above.

For any circumstance where the demand is less than ~250 HP, the Raven can answer it all with the PMSR and let the induction motor cool, while the P100DL has to balance it between the two induction motors, both of which are heating up as they deliver power. Even if the average demand is well above that, the Raven has more time at lower power settings to cool the rotor off in.

So there are certainly demand curves that will drive the Raven into power limiting, but they are hundreds of horsepower of average demand above the ones that a P100DL has to power limit at. Whether the demands of the Ring are enough to hobble the Raven remains to be seen...