Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Trade In - Ridiculous Offer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll start off by saying I'm well aware Tesla's trade in offers overall aren't the best; I had a great experience trading in my ICE when I got my S though.

However... When putting in for an offer for my S I was floored.

- In Sept 2020 I got an offer of $24.5k from tesla, which was somewhat low.
- Feb 2021 and 250sh more miles, no other changes, I get an offer of $18k.
($6500 down in less than 6 months and little miles added?! no explanation, I asked)
- Got quotes from Vroom and Carvana this month, both at $24k, so why the $18k is baffling me.

I haven't received a vin yet, as I just ordered end of Jan, but apparently the lack of checks on the delivery steps can effect getting a vin; trade in is currently a pending check as is loan (conditionally approved, condition of proof of trade-in o_O)

Has anyone rejected a trade in offer and changed your mind after? I'd prefer to trade in to avoid private sell hassles and tax benefits, but $6000 is much more than the hassle and tax savings. But if for some reason trading with Tesla ends up being the best choice, I don't want to reject the offer if it means it's final.

Not sure why the hit, but I heard Tesla will match offers from other places as long as you bring in proof of the offer, so you may still be able to get that $24k from Tesla...
Unless something has changed, Tesla hasn’t matched offers in over a year, in fact they’ll often suggest you contact a room or Carvana!

It could be refreshed Model S/X was the factor pushing it down more...

I had some of the same ideas mentioned here so far about the difference. I noticed there were no 2013 CPOs on their site last I checked, maybe 2014 is their cut off now and they really don't want vehicles older.

Even so, that difference in their own quote was a lot!

You should be able to add it at any time but of course, their offer may change at any time! What are you taking delivery of?

Yes I imagine I'll see an even lower offer.
I have a Model Y on order.

I had some of the same ideas mentioned here so far about the difference. I noticed there were no 2013 CPOs on their site last I checked, maybe 2014 is their cut off now and they really don't want vehicles older.

Even so, that difference in their own quote was a lot!

Yes I imagine I'll see an even lower offer.
I have a Model Y on order.
The first offer may have been a mistake but deal was never consummated so you'll never know what the true trade value is until you complete the transaction.

Tesla trade in offers are unpredictable.
I was checking trade in offers on my Model X every month for about 8 months before I traded it in on a Model Y. The trade in offer from tesla went down almost $10k in 6 months, it was well below kbb. Then all of a sudden it went up $6400 in one month and was almost an exact match to kbb, higher than carmax and carvana. Since my warranty only had a month left I traded on the Y.

The first offer may have been a mistake but deal was never consummated so you'll never know what the true trade value is until you complete the transaction.

Ah good point!

Tesla trade in offers are unpredictable.
I was checking trade in offers on my Model X every month for about 8 months before I traded it in on a Model Y. The trade in offer from tesla went down almost $10k in 6 months, it was well below kbb. Then all of a sudden it went up $6400 in one month and was almost an exact match to kbb, higher than carmax and carvana. Since my warranty only had a month left I traded on the Y.

Wow, your $10k difference in 6 months makes me feel better (although both are crazy, good to know it wasn't just me to see a huge drop for no reason) I'll keep an eye out on the estimate page to see if it happens to change. With the age of mine it may be unlikely but I hadn't thought about this.

Any opinions on whether I should just decline the offer for now? I'm going to ask my contact if I decline if I can request a new one if I change my mind,

Please tell us more about your S - not just year, but significant options like dual drive and EAP, etc. also general condition. That should help us help you evaluate things better. I have traded in an S to Tesla and also sold an X to Vroom, and traded in a Kia EV to Tesla, so i have been around the block with this trade-in stuff, and the prices do seem to vary alot.

Please tell us more about your S - not just year, but significant options like dual drive and EAP, etc. also general condition. That should help us help you evaluate things better. I have traded in an S to Tesla and also sold an X to Vroom, and traded in a Kia EV to Tesla, so i have been around the block with this trade-in stuff, and the prices do seem to vary alot.
I see you typed in that info in a response while i was typing this one in. Gee, a 2013 is ancient in many ways. Wouldnt expect to get much for it.

2013 P85, it's got jump seats, air suspension and all the upgrades at the time so it's a more valuable than a lot of other 2013's (pre-autopilot model though)

Used car is worth whatever someone will pay for it.

Tesla is really not interested in taking your trade. Ask me how I know. I actually had a Tesla person in Las Vegas ask me, "Can you just not trade your car in and remove it from the deal, it would make things a lot easier."

I would sell your car to Vroom if you've gotten an acceptable offer. I think you've gotten most of the reasons why they dropped their price in the last 6 months. I think it's a combo of the new MY and the refresh pushing your price down. You never said how many miles you have. For a 2013 Model S Performance, the average auction value is about $26k with 73k miles.

Good question:
2013 P85 with 100% charge around 230 last I checked
- Rear Facing Jump Seats
- All Glass Panoramic Roof (Opens/Closes without issues)
- 21" Grey Wheels
- Performance interior carbon Fiber Décor & Spoiler
- Free Supercharging and Free Premium connectivity
- Tech Package/ HomeLink
- Smart Air Suspension
- Premium Sound

Additional Specs:
- Tinted windows (all around and sunroof)
- "Microwave" Space frunk; largest frunk of all the Tesla cars
- MCU1 Upgrade (with LTE, and tire pressure monitoring)
- Center Console (the S's used to come without them for those that don't know)
- 3D MAXpider Front & Second Row Custom Fit All-Weather Floor Mats
- Updated interior lights
- Aluminum Sports Accelerator and Brake Pedals
- Tires replaced ~2k miles ago (right as Covid-19 hit and now only drive her 2-3 times a month)
- Little to no wear on seats, kept covers during use

The car in in excellent contrition and I've loved everything about it, but with it being from 2013 and the warranty running out this summer, I wanted to upgrade. Wanted to upgrade to another S but the price for new is more than what I'd like to pay right now so I decided on a Model Y.

Everyone that rides in it can't believe it's 7-8 years old. I never saw a Tesla in person in 2012/2013 but I can imagine how ahead of its time this car looked back then.

0.jpg
6.jpg