Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S turn signal stalk positioning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I teach as a BMW Safety driving school instructor, and with airbags, 9 - 3 is what is taught. There have been reported brakes in the wrist and hand - especially the thumb as a report of improper hand position, especially sitting with the thumb on the airbag.

Thanks for the info. Any other "instructor tips" on grip, positioning, etc.? I prefer to keeping my wrists, thumbs, and limbs unbroken and attached.

One example from off-roading: keeping all fingers above the plane of the wheel (i.e. don't grip the wheel, just control the outside edge) is recommended going over rough terrain so sharp corrections the road "makes for you" don't damage your thumb or wrist.

With the Roadster, I keep my hands at 9 and 3 with my thumbs looped around the steering wheel in the inside so I can access the horn quickly when someone turns into my lane without seeing me (very common in the Roadster). That seems like it would be ok. With the Model S, I assume you can mash on the middle of the steering wheel for the horn? That makes emergency situations where you need your horn much easier.

With the Roadster, I keep my hands at 9 and 3 with my thumbs looped around the steering wheel in the inside so I can access the horn quickly when someone turns into my lane without seeing me (very common in the Roadster). That seems like it would be ok. With the Model S, I assume you can mash on the middle of the steering wheel for the horn? That makes emergency situations where you need your horn much easier.

Yeah, the Model S steering wheel is a 'regular' one with the entire center pane (that encloses the airbag) serving as the horn zone. Unlikely that other vehicles cannot see the big S coming. More likely needed for pedestrians in a parking lot...

Thanks for the info. Any other "instructor tips" on grip, positioning, etc.? I prefer to keeping my wrists, thumbs, and limbs unbroken and attached.

I'm not an instructor, but the big one is: if a crash is inevitable, let go of the steering wheel!

Obviously this is something you do at the last second. Here's a famous example:

Last edited by a moderator:
i got used to the location of the turn signal stalk very quickly on my drive today. i don't think it will be an issue. the steering wheel was overall very nice, i know they lifted it from mb, but if it works, it works. i like it. as many have said, the driving experience, and almost everything from the driver's seat in this car is superlative. really really fun and strong.

Maybe this has been discussed already, but when did Tesla reverse the stalk position and use a different supplier(apparently)? I liked the turn signal down low. I drove a brand new loaner today and was surprised by some of the changes.

Maybe this has been discussed already, but when did Tesla reverse the stalk position and use a different supplier(apparently)? I liked the turn signal down low. I drove a brand new loaner today and was surprised by some of the changes.

Mercedes changed the position of the stalks on their cars a number of years back. Tesla has finally caught up with this change. This has been discussed in a few places already most notably:

Teslas Now Being Delivered with Turn Signal and Cruise Control Stalks Swapped!!
(to the Model S, aside from 'D') - Page 2

After 10 months with my S I'm still not used to the turn signal being so low. Am now mostly driving a Roadster and it has the stalk in the "normal" higher position. I wish I could change the wheel and stalk in my S to the new style.