TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S turn signal stalk positioning

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Stuart, Jun 26, 2012.

1. rogbmw

rogbmw Member

I teach as a BMW Safety driving school instructor, and with airbags, 9 - 3 is what is taught. There have been reported brakes in the wrist and hand - especially the thumb as a report of improper hand position, especially sitting with the thumb on the airbag.

2. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Thanks for the info. Any other "instructor tips" on grip, positioning, etc.? I prefer to keeping my wrists, thumbs, and limbs unbroken and attached.

One example from off-roading: keeping all fingers above the plane of the wheel (i.e. don't grip the wheel, just control the outside edge) is recommended going over rough terrain so sharp corrections the road "makes for you" don't damage your thumb or wrist.

3. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

With the Roadster, I keep my hands at 9 and 3 with my thumbs looped around the steering wheel in the inside so I can access the horn quickly when someone turns into my lane without seeing me (very common in the Roadster). That seems like it would be ok. With the Model S, I assume you can mash on the middle of the steering wheel for the horn? That makes emergency situations where you need your horn much easier.

4. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913

Yeah, the Model S steering wheel is a 'regular' one with the entire center pane (that encloses the airbag) serving as the horn zone. Unlikely that other vehicles cannot see the big S coming. More likely needed for pedestrians in a parking lot...

5. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

#25 Doug_G, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    I'm not an instructor, but the big one is: if a crash is inevitable, let go of the steering wheel!

Obviously this is something you do at the last second. Here's a famous example:

6. MikeK

MikeK R#129, TSLA shareholder

So why does the wheel have big, comfortable grips at 10 and 2?

7. dtich

dtich #P708

i got used to the location of the turn signal stalk very quickly on my drive today. i don't think it will be an issue. the steering wheel was overall very nice, i know they lifted it from mb, but if it works, it works. i like it. as many have said, the driving experience, and almost everything from the driver's seat in this car is superlative. really really fun and strong.

8. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I look at that as a 9-3 "nook" to hook your thumbs into. It's very comfortable at 9-3.

9. Raven

Raven Member

Maybe this has been discussed already, but when did Tesla reverse the stalk position and use a different supplier(apparently)? I liked the turn signal down low. I drove a brand new loaner today and was surprised by some of the changes.

10. breser

breser AutoPilot Nostradamus

Mercedes changed the position of the stalks on their cars a number of years back. Tesla has finally caught up with this change. This has been discussed in a few places already most notably:

Teslas Now Being Delivered with Turn Signal and Cruise Control Stalks Swapped!!
    (to the Model S, aside from 'D') - Page 2

11. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

After 10 months with my S I'm still not used to the turn signal being so low. Am now mostly driving a Roadster and it has the stalk in the "normal" higher position. I wish I could change the wheel and stalk in my S to the new style.