Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - UK Used / Secondhand Pricing - Help?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

Looking to buy a MS in the UK, I'm not a massive fan of the facelift so a MS 85 with AP1 and a pano roof would be ideal. (A 70 would be fine too)

I'm just massively confused about secondhand prices in the UK 2014/15 MS range massively between £43k to £55k (or even £60k). Source is primarily Autotrader and Pistonheads.

Tesla UK PCO prices are usually higher and that's understandable.

Any advice on what I should be paying and is there any guides on this?

Appreciate the new financing rates (sub 2%) in the UK is making the prospect of a new MS look tempting too.

Thanks.

Not sure I can advise you of second-hand pricing as there are simply so many variables: model type, extras, mileage, age, condition... but you should be aware of the very-wide range of pricing when these cars were new:-

S60 (base price: ca. £50,000)
S85 (base price: ca. £60,000)
P85 (base price: ca. £70,000)
P85+ (base price: ca £80,000)

There was an extensive range of extras (more so than now) which further increased prices. For example:-

- metallic paint (£650)
- Panoramic roof (£2100)
- Optional 19" and 21" alloy wheels (ca. £2000-£3000)
- Nappa Leather seats (£1250)
- Various wood or carbon fibre trims (£550-£650)
- Matching "yacht floor" (£550)
- Dual chargers (£1250)
- Tech package (£3200)
- Smart air suspension (£1900)
- Parking sensors (£400)
- Fog lamps (£400)
- Subzero winter package (£650)
- Extended leather trim (£2100)
- Premium interior lighting (£850)
- Security package (£350)
- Four-year service package (£2300)

As you can see, it was possible to spend well over £25,000 on options - so it's entirely possible that a "top-of-the-range" P85+ cost considerably-less than a full-specced P85 or even a standard 85 kWh car.

So my advice would be:-

Step 1: Make sure you know exactly what model you're getting!

Step 2: Check the options.

Step 3: Check the range - the more miles, the more wear on the battery.

If it's possible, check the indicated range (make sure this is the "typical" range, which will give you a lower figure than the so-called "rated" range - it's different in Europe than the USA, thanks to different energy efficiency models). If the battery is in good health, you should see a rated range of ca. 245 miles for a 100% charge.

Finally, remember that these are still quite rare cars, and in quite limited supply, so the traditional car dealers are pretty clueless about how to price them. They are NOT like traditional luxury cars whose values plummet as soon as they leave the showroom - so you shouldn't expect to snap up a bargain. I'd strongly recommend buying through Tesla, since they're the ones who'll be servicing the car, and they'll know about all kinds of minor (and some major issues) affecting these early models.

on the plus side, these are great cars - we still have our June 2014 P85 (which my wife now drives) and have driven over 33,000 miles in it without major problems (lots of minor issues, all addressed in the first year, under warranty). Good luck!

One other factor to bear in mind is that Tesla prices in the UK have increased quite dramatically, because of the collapse in the value of Sterling. That may or may not propagate through to the used market.

Anyway, and make sure you book yourself a test drive with Tesla (if you haven't already done so) - and have fun :)

The chart attached shows all used Model S for sale in the uk, updated Wednesdays. Pick the Model on the right to show them in context of other models.

Tesla Model S for sale

Age seems to make little difference. Options seem to make more difference. There are a couple of mistakes I've noticed. Volume is very low with only 4 or 5 cars selling each week and prices are falling, but some are still very optimistically priced.

• Informative
Reactions: Shock-On-T