Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Window Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here in Hawaii we're limited to 35% all around on sedans, so that's what I have. I chose Pinnacle ceramic tint by Formula One. Tried to add the Air80 on the windshield as well, but it metered too dark for Hawaii's legal windshield limit, so no-go. Here's the result with 35% all around:

Tesla1.jpg
Tesla4.jpg
Tesla7.jpg
Tesla8.jpg

Saving my money to add photosynch to windshield. Seems to be the only place heat comes in now that the rest of the car is done. Waiting for a sale or a winning lottery ticket or the next run up on Tesla stock.

Tell me about it. My wife now wants her Accord done along with the RX. Told her it will have to be one or the other. Photosync will be placed on our 8 year old RX as she drives that quite often and we want to protect our grandkids. It is pretty penny for Photosync, but worth every one of them.

mmartin, where are you located? I have a place in Diamond Head. I was there in December last year and only saw one MS, which my wife saw and fell in love with. Many more MSs there now I'm guessing?

I'm not sure if I'm going to tint this time around. Had the burn in Huper that looks like imprinted flames. Was told that it's normal because they need to use an air dryer to work out the wrinkles. To top that off, I had reception problems.

TylerCA, I'm actually located on the windward side near Kaneohe. I shot the photos up on Tantalus overlooking Diamond Head with the Waikiki/Honolulu skyline. There's a decent amount of MS's on the island (125+), but you wouldn't know it as you don't see too many out and about.

If you had reception problems, it sounds like you had a metallic tint. If you opt to tint your MS, go with a ceramic tint like Pinnacle or Photosync. They're more pricey, but they reject more heat than metallic tints of the same darkness and they don't interfere with reception as there's no metal in the tint. The problem you mentioned about the tint sounds like it was not installed correctly, or the tint failed. All of the (reputable) premium tints are backed by lifetime warranties (I believe Huper is), so if you have a problem like that, they should fix it at no cost to you. It can take up to a month for all of the bubbles and blemishes to disappear (although most are gone within the first few days)...beyond a month, you should see your installer.

Send a msg the next time you're in town. Aloha!

TylerCA, I'm actually located on the windward side near Kaneohe. I shot the photos up on Tantalus overlooking Diamond Head with the Waikiki/Honolulu skyline. There's a decent amount of MS's on the island (125+), but you wouldn't know it as you don't see too many out and about.

If you had reception problems, it sounds like you had a metallic tint. If you opt to tint your MS, go with a ceramic tint like Pinnacle or Photosync. They're more pricey, but they reject more heat than metallic tints of the same darkness and they don't interfere with reception as there's no metal in the tint. The problem you mentioned about the tint sounds like it was not installed correctly, or the tint failed. All of the (reputable) premium tints are backed by lifetime warranties (I believe Huper is), so if you have a problem like that, they should fix it at no cost to you. It can take up to a month for all of the bubbles and blemishes to disappear (although most are gone within the first few days)...beyond a month, you should see your installer.

Send a msg the next time you're in town. Aloha!

I saw them take tint out of a box with label "huper", so it is their ceramic product unless the installer did a B&S on me. Either way, I'm not crazy about that tint especially with reception problems from the first day. The installer admitted that it happens randomly for BMWs. Either way, this time around I'll probably forego the tinting.

mmartin, I'm usually there 2-3 times a year, but 2013 has been a crazy one for me. Probably back in Oahu late November, so I will send you a message. Great photos and congrats on the new purchase.

In the process of ordering another MS. The significant other wants one too and I don't like to share. Once we get it, it's going straight to the tint shop to get phosotynch. (can't believe it's 45 days out now for the P85+).

Congratulations on that 2nd MS. My wife's been nagging me to get Photoysnc to our Lexus and Honda. I guess if I am not the one driving those cars I do not care as much ha.

Congratulations on that 2nd MS. My wife's been nagging me to get Photoysnc to our Lexus and Honda. I guess if I am not the one driving those cars I do not care as much ha.

To follow up on this. I received an email from my tint company yesterday regarding a new ceramic tint. I've been hesitant to put on Photosync on our Lexux and Honda due to the total cost for both cars. My tint company told me that it's made by the same company for Photosync. Said it does not perform quite as well as Photosync, but just as good or better than the ceramic tints out there and will be cheaper than Photosync. If it's the same company, than I'm assuming it would be pretty high quality. Anyone try?

Another great job by Lee at Leeberbs https://www.facebook.com/leeberbs

Below are before and after pictures. Lee had previously done my XPEL Ultimate wrap back in March, but prior to meeting Lee I had my windows tinted somewhere else with 3M Crystalline 40% by an authorized 3M installer in south jersey. That job was good (though the two rear side windows have small bubbles...) but the rear window always bugged the hell out of me because 3M Crystalline tint has some sort of reaction with the coating of the rear window, making it look quite literally purple. (some will describe it as reddish/blue, but to my eyes its like barney purple). So for months this has been grating at me, over, and over, and over every day I had to look at the car.

Lee did an awesome job with my XPEL wrap and I knew he did tint too, so I took it back to him for fixing my tint. Lee did a superb job ripping off the 3M Crystalline tint on the rear window and installing Madico Charcool 20%. Now I have the look I was originally going for! Highly recommend him for PPF wraps and tint! Thanks Lee!! Looks awesome! No more purple! lol.

BEFORE SHOT (with 3M Crystalline 40%):

DSC_0055e.jpg

AFTER SHOT (with Madico Charcool 20%):

DSC_0431.jpg

two more after shots (outside). it was extremely difficult to take outside shots that focused on the tint. It was really reflective! lol

DSC_0392.jpg

DSC_0391.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: rahs
Well here you go. I just returned from NY only to find that my wife decided to tint the Tesla with Airblue80 on the front windscreen and Huper on the doors. What can I say about it? Not a fan. The airblue has a very weird color to it and I personally still feel a lot of heat coming in. And Huper? I was never a fan to start off as I had issues with CA (comfort access) not working all the time and sat radio static immediately after putting it on the F10 M5. I'm pretty annoyed that she had it done even when I advised her to leave the glass bare, but she is into the uv protection. So we will see. I'm leaning towards pulling it all off as I can see the fiery marks on the back window and the door glasses. Installer said it's normal for Huper because they have to use heat to make the tint conform and Huper's prone for it.

Here's us on our trip to Harris Ranch today. Likely will get all this taken off because it really does look like sh*t when I am up close to the car.

Attachments

• 20131210_115313.jpg
    20131210_115313.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,651
I had a very interesting observation today. With the cold snap recently, my average consumption was rated anywhere from 450-500wh/m whereas during the summer months our average was in the low 300s. This morning, temperatures were ranging at 28-30F and zapped up more power than I had expected. So I had to turn everything off on the car including the heated seats and hvac for the last 15 miles. I made it home with "0" on the range, but what was just as intriguing was how the inside of the car was not as cold as I thought it would be with the hvac turned off. From my understanding and recollection of speaking to my window tinter, this is due to improved energy retention with photosync.

I'm sure had I not turn off the hvac, I would not have made it home as I was averaging 700wh/m for the last two miles and at that point the range meter was already at "0". So I am pretty impressed at how well photosync works even in this cold snap. Not very scientific, but my skin dyno tells me this is a top notch tint in both cold and hot weather.

Attachments

• 20131211_081228_resized.jpg
    20131211_081228_resized.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,621
I think it is interesting that the best tints advertise blocking IR up to 98% or so yet one only measures their film using IR between 900nm and 1000nm and the other best in class measures rejection between 850nm and 2500nm.

Last edited: