Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Window Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I ended up getting Huper tint on my car (part of it was I was lazy to drive to the shop where Photosync is done). Went with 30% Huper all around, 60% windshield. Anyways, at certain angles I will see a faint rainbow on my windows. The intensity of the rainbow increases with my Oakley polarized sunglasses. I just assumed my car was in the closet so I didn't pursue any further.

Furthermore, I do see the sides/doors of cars on the freeway (next lane over) to have a greenish hue.

PLEASE CHECK YOUR STATE LAWS. A young boy was hit and killed on a bicycle in our city a year ago. The car that hit him had illegally tinted windows. Due to this fact, rather than manslaughter charges, he was found guilty of second degree murder and is now beginning his 30 years jail sentence. Since this event, I removed the tint from all the vehicles in my family. My insurance agent also informed me that any accident in which the insurance claims are severe, the insurance companies will not pay up under the grounds that they contracted with a driver and assumption of a vehicle operating legally--"If you are going to tint, you might as well not buy insurance"

PLEASE CHECK YOUR STATE LAWS. A young boy was hit and killed on a bicycle in our city a year ago. The car that hit him had illegally tinted windows. Due to this fact, rather than manslaughter charges, he was found guilty of second degree murder and is now beginning his 30 years jail sentence. Since this event, I removed the tint from all the vehicles in my family. My insurance agent also informed me that any accident in which the insurance claims are severe, the insurance companies will not pay up under the grounds that they contracted with a driver and assumption of a vehicle operating legally--"If you are going to tint, you might as well not buy insurance"

Sounds like that guy had a bad lawyer. Nobody should be charged with 2nd degree murder for having tinted windows.

Sounds like that guy had a bad lawyer. Nobody should be charged with 2nd degree murder for having tinted windows.

Agreed. I'm pretty sure there are something else more than the tinted windows. And gene should change his insurance agent too. Most accidents involve actions that are more "illegal" than window tinting. And how about drivers wearing sun glasses? Cancel the insurance too?

Last edited:
PLEASE CHECK YOUR STATE LAWS. A young boy was hit and killed on a bicycle in our city a year ago. The car that hit him had illegally tinted windows. Due to this fact, rather than manslaughter charges, he was found guilty of second degree murder and is now beginning his 30 years jail sentence.

Is this is the even you are talking about? Trial opens for Satnam Singh, Ventura man accused in fatal DUI Ventura County Star

If so, he was drunk. He hit 2 people on bikes, then shortly later hit a pickup truck stopped at a red light, then continued on and hit and killed a third bicyclist. And he was involved in a previous accident while drunk.

I don't think it was the tint that caused him to get 2nd degree murder...

Last edited:
No issues seeing through the front window and no noticeable prizm colors with photosynch. I did have airblue on the + previously (subsequently replaced with photosynch) and the prizm effect was noticeable inside looking out. On our other car, we have huper 60 on the front and the prizm colors are noticeable even when looking at my car from the outside.

After digesting everything in this long thread (Whew!) - I decided to go with PhotoSync 45% (with 75% on the windshield) installed by Auto SuperShield in Boca Raton, FL.

After having it installed for a week, I'm very pleased and have no problems with polarized sunglasses or seeing at night in low light areas. Thanks to all the contributors on this thread and on this forum.

IMG_0386 c1600b.jpg
IMG_0389c1 600.jpg

IMG_0387c1600.jpg
IMG_0385 c1600.jpg

Reactions: MrABRanch
I want to thank the many contributors to this thread. I've learned a lot about tint and seen photos of many beautiful cars. I'm not currently a Tesla owner but based on what I've read here have made an appointment to have Photosync installed on my BMW. Special thanks to Bill D for replying to my PM asking about the shop he used -- that's where I'm going for my installation. Can't wait.

After digesting everything in this long thread (Whew!) - I decided to go with PhotoSync 45% (with 75% on the windshield) installed by Auto SuperShield in Boca Raton, FL.

After having it installed for a week, I'm very pleased and have no problems with polarized sunglasses or seeing at night in low light areas. Thanks to all the contributors on this thread and on this forum.

View attachment 46332 View attachment 46331

View attachment 46330 View attachment 46328

Love your photos

Love your photos
Thanks. Your previous posts and photos depicting your Photosync transparency were helpful in my decision.

After a month in our strong south Florida sun, we really feel the difference with this film and the A/C runs far less.

Before the film we felt the sun's heat especially strong through the side windows (sun through the windshield wasn't as bad because its natural tint is pretty good). We're very pleased with our 75% windshield tint, but folks viewing this thread to help them make their decision may want to consider skipping the windshield at first for a trial period. You can easily go back and add it later.

My opinion on the Pano is that it does not need tint, no matter how close to the equator you live.

I have a Brown MS and went with 3M Crystalline installed by Cactus Tint in Scottsdale, the same place that had previously done araxara's Brown MS with Photosync. I am very happy with it and their professionalism, service and quality. I was going to go with Photosync because of everything I read here, but Cactus Tint and my husband talked me out it - mostly on the basis that it hasn't been around as long as 3M, coupled with the fact that I have Crystalline on my BMW 6 series, so I knew what I was getting. Cactus was happy to do Photosync for me, and was pleased with araxara's - so it wasn't really anything 'against' the photosync per se.

Anyway, I went with 35 on the sides and rear window (the darkest they offered, the legal limit in AZ, and also what I have on my BMW), and 70 (or was it 75?) on the windshield. Similar to other statements here, Cactus Tint said you really couldn't totally avoid the purple-ish tint on the rear window because of the existing coating and the slant of the window, but his opinion was that the purple would be less pronounced with the Crystalline - I don't notice it at all, personnally. They also had something even lighter for the windshield that I was considering, as i didn't really want 'tint' on the windshield, just the heat rejection. But he encouraged the 70/75, and I went with his expertise. No regrets at all.

I did not get the pano roof done - for all the reasons mentioned here. Tesla rep at the Scottsdale gallery told me it has Crystalline on it already - I don't know if that's true, but it definitely has something that blocks the heat very well already.

I don't have any pictures to share....but I really should make a point of getting some.

I have a Brown MS and went with 3M Crystalline installed by Cactus Tint in Scottsdale, the same place that had previously done araxara's Brown MS with Photosync. I am very happy with it and their professionalism, service and quality. I was going to go with Photosync because of everything I read here, but Cactus Tint and my husband talked me out it - mostly on the basis that it hasn't been around as long as 3M, coupled with the fact that I have Crystalline on my BMW 6 series, so I knew what I was getting. Cactus was happy to do Photosync for me, and was pleased with araxara's - so it wasn't really anything 'against' the photosync per se.

Anyway, I went with 35 on the sides and rear window (the darkest they offered, the legal limit in AZ, and also what I have on my BMW), and 70 (or was it 75?) on the windshield. Similar to other statements here, Cactus Tint said you really couldn't totally avoid the purple-ish tint on the rear window because of the existing coating and the slant of the window, but his opinion was that the purple would be less pronounced with the Crystalline - I don't notice it at all, personnally. They also had something even lighter for the windshield that I was considering, as i didn't really want 'tint' on the windshield, just the heat rejection. But he encouraged the 70/75, and I went with his expertise. No regrets at all.

I did not get the pano roof done - for all the reasons mentioned here. Tesla rep at the Scottsdale gallery told me it has Crystalline on it already - I don't know if that's true, but it definitely has something that blocks the heat very well already.

I don't have any pictures to share....but I really should make a point of getting some.

Are you sure it's 35% ? 3M Crystalline is only made in 40,50,60, and 90%.

Regarding the purplish, yes it's easy to avoid - just don't use 3M Crystalline and instead use a different tint lol. I've only seen the purple effect with 3M crystalline. I've seen plenty of non 3M tint brands on MS and none of them purple.

Sorry to hear you went with crystalline. Sounds like you got pressured into it. Looks horrible on an MS.

Also sounds like that Tesla employee doesn't understand tint and window coatings. The pano doesn't come "standard" with aftermarket 3M crystalline tint.

Are you sure it's 35% ? 3M Crystalline is only made in 40,50,60, and 90%.

Regarding the purplish, yes it's easy to avoid - just don't use 3M Crystalline and instead use a different tint lol. I've only seen the purple effect with 3M crystalline. I've seen plenty of non 3M tint brands on MS and none of them purple.

Sorry to hear you went with crystalline. Sounds like you got pressured into it. Looks horrible on an MS.
3M Crystalline does come in 70. That's what I have on my Model S and I'm very happy with it.

View attachment 46332 View attachment 46331

View attachment 46330 View attachment 46328

There is something about palm trees and the MS with quality tint that makes it stand out. I have photosynch done on all the windows and really love it.

Attachments

• e.jpg
    e.jpg
    503 KB · Views: 1,221