Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Window Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I too am interested in the Spectra Photosync/Solar Adaptive Transitional film. The video is pretty powerful, but I don't see it discussed much. Any opinions or experiences? I'm in SoCal if anyone knows a good local installer.

I believe premier film located in Orange is the only dealer in Southern California that carries Spectra films. I have had 3-4 cars with the F1 pinnacle ceramic film with great result, but the videos on the Photosync film looks very promising. Maybe we can setup a group buy for those interested in tint?

Here are some pictures of two Teslas with different shades of Formula One Pinnacle. The Multi-coat Red has 50 while the Signature Red (darker) has 35. Both have Air Blue 80 on the front windshields.
The second picture is looking through the Pinnacle 35 while the third is looking through Pinnacle 50. The fourth picture is looking through the Air Blue 80.
View attachment 23716View attachment 23717View attachment 23718View attachment 23719View attachment 23720View attachment 23721

HELP>>>>>>>That's my Pearl White P85 Sig with dark 21's in the background on photo #2 …. (BTW all the work was well done on the red MS's!)

I thinking about 90 vs 80 on the front windshield (a post above shows that 90 is legal in CA), 40 on all side windows (not legal but looks great) and 20 on the hatch (I have the "kids" seats) less than 20 may effect night visibility for fast glance out the rear e.g. lane changes without the rear camera on).

I'm running with no front plate so the dark rims with less than 40 will be a little risky…I may have to move out of CA before I "fix-it."

Constructive comments or morale support on this plan would be greatly appreciated!

HELP>>>>>>>That's my Pearl White P85 Sig with dark 21's in the background on photo #2 …. (BTW all the work was well done on the red MS's!)

I thinking about 90 vs 80 on the front windshield (a post above shows that 90 is legal in CA), 40 on all side windows (not legal but looks great) and 20 on the hatch (I have the "kids" seats) less than 20 may effect night visibility for fast glance out the rear e.g. lane changes without the rear camera on).

I'm running with no front plate so the dark rims with less than 40 will be a little risky…I may have to move out of CA before I "fix-it."

Constructive comments or morale support on this plan would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Joe:

One of our SD Club members has a blue S and did a combination I think is just about perfect. She did AirBlue80 for the front windshield, Pinnacle 35% for the 8 side windows and Pinnacle 15% for the back windshield. She said the 15% on the back windshield matches the color of the pano roof perfectly.

I can't help you with the 90% on the front windshield (I don't think Mr. Tint carries it; I've never heard of it) but the AB80 is not very noticeable from the outside.

Are you thinking of using 3M Crystalline, because Pinnacle at Mr. Tint is available in 50, 35, 15 and 5 (limo). 40 sounds like Crystalline.

Hi Joe:

One of our SD Club members has a blue S and did a combination I think is just about perfect. She did AirBlue80 for the front windshield, Pinnacle 35% for the 8 side windows and Pinnacle 15% for the back windshield. She said the 15% on the back windshield matches the color of the pano roof perfectly.

I can't help you with the 90% on the front windshield (I don't think Mr. Tint carries it; I've never heard of it) but the AB80 is not very noticeable from the outside.

Are you thinking of using 3M Crystalline, because Pinnacle at Mr. Tint is available in 50, 35, 15 and 5 (limo). 40 sounds like Crystalline.

I also have Pinnacle 15 on the rear window, and I agree it matches the pano almost dead-on. It also is not so dark as to make night visibility too difficult.

I went with 35 on the rear sides, and 50 on the front sides. I'm very pleased with it.

I went with 35 on the rear sides, and 50 on the front sides. I'm very pleased with it.

An interesting difference has been noted within our club between the 35% and 50% F1 Pinnacle tints. On my 50% side windows I don't see any rainbow effect using polarized sunglasses. But another member who has 35% on the side windows does notice the rainbow effect. Of course we have different sunglasses, so maybe the affects the results.

Since you have both tints and hopefully you have some polarized sunglasses, can you check and see if you notice a difference in the rainbow effect between the 35% and the 50%?

So I am getting just the rear window tinted (so that the kids don't get heatstroke). I don't really care too much about the rear vision at night, but I do care about keeping it as COOL as possible back there. Texas has no restrictions on what I should get for the rear window of a car. Suggestions?

An interesting difference has been noted within our club between the 35% and 50% F1 Pinnacle tints. On my 50% side windows I don't see any rainbow effect using polarized sunglasses. But another member who has 35% on the side windows does notice the rainbow effect. Of course we have different sunglasses, so maybe the affects the results.

Since you have both tints and hopefully you have some polarized sunglasses, can you check and see if you notice a difference in the rainbow effect between the 35% and the 50%?

Yup, I see the issue on my 50 on the front side windows with my polarized glasses (Oakley glass). It's more pronounced for me on the driver's side than the passenger side, leading me to believe that the distance between the glasses lenses and the tint film has a bearing on what I assume is an "interference pattern" prismatic effect going on.

I haven't noticed it at all on the rear 35% tint. I haven't sat in the rear since getting it applied either, so it could be that the distance issue I mentioned above comes in to play with the rears... but I don't think so. I think the 35% tint is "immune".

It's not a big deal for me... but I can confirm it does happen.. so other folks may want to decide accordingly.

Of course going 35% in the fronts would be one solution... but I'm already pushing (past) the legal limit with the 50... :)

Our 3M Crystalline tinting experience

Hi There,
We live In California where the legal limit on the front side windows is 70%. You see lots of cars here with light tinted front door windows and dark rears but I find that look jarring on the sleek line of the MS. After seeing how light the samples of 3M Crystalline are I decided to push it a little and ended up going with 70 on the windshield, 60 on the sides and 40 on the hatch. We find it significantly cooler in bright sun while having little effect on visibility. On the downside if you wear polarized sunglasses you do see rainbows, there is a tiny bit of fuzzy distortion on the windshield because of its low angle (the sides are appear perfectly transparent) and the darker shades of Crystalline are brownish - not pure gray. Quality Glass and Tint in Santa Clara took a while to get into but seemed to know what they were doing. We are satisfied.
Regards,
Trent

I used to have 15% on my camaro side windows which were illegal in NJ (any tinting at all on front driver and passenger windows in NJ is illegal but back seat and rear windows are ok) and I would get stopped ALL the time. I used to keep track but I know I got pulled over at least 60 times in 5 years. I never got a ticket either lol they always just told me that it wasn't allowed at which I responded back saying that I didn't wanted people seeing the huge amps and subwoofers and stereo that i had installed. I was also 17 at the time and I figured they just wanted to give a young kid in a Camaro a hard time and check to make sure I was t drinking or anything. This is south jersey. I never got stopped in PA or MD for it and I spent a lot of times in those states too. Actually, I have gotten stopped for speeding several times in both PA and MD and neither of them ever mentioned about the tinted windows. I figured they were legal in those states or just don't care about them. Jersey cops, at least the ones in south jersey, will stop you for everything I guess because they have nothing better to do lol. I will be moving to north jersey next year so hoping they are a bit more lenient up there. I also know that the car will fail inspection, so whenever I had to get it inspected I had to go to a shop and pay to have the tint removed, and then just have them tinted again after the inspection. It's fairly cheap and not too much of a hassle.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Yup, I see the issue on my 50 on the front side windows with my polarized glasses (Oakley glass). It's more pronounced for me on the driver's side than the passenger side, leading me to believe that the distance between the glasses lenses and the tint film has a bearing on what I assume is an "interference pattern" prismatic effect going on.

I haven't noticed it at all on the rear 35% tint. I haven't sat in the rear since getting it applied either, so it could be that the distance issue I mentioned above comes in to play with the rears... but I don't think so. I think the 35% tint is "immune".

It's not a big deal for me... but I can confirm it does happen.. so other folks may want to decide accordingly.

Of course going 35% in the fronts would be one solution... but I'm already pushing (past) the legal limit with the 50... :)

No, that's just the opposite of what I have. I notice no interference pattern with my 50% tint, but my neighbor does notice it with his 35%.
I think you'd have to sit in the back seat to do an equal test on the rear 35.

Model S P85. Spectra PhotoSync 65% + 75% Windshield

Would like to see photos of the Spectra photosync made by Prestige if anyone has that on their cars. It's only been out for a year, but its supposed to have superior head reduction properties than even the crystalline and ceramics.
Ok, I braved 100+ degree weather to bring you these Spectra PhotoSync photos. The tint used is 65% all around with 75% used on windshield. The pano roof is not covered. Tinting was installed by Cactus Window Tint in Scottsdale, AZ. I've included some representative photos here. You should know that since I was doing spot metering the light levels are different for various pictures, so it may look darker between pictures. I should have just locked the camera to one setting, but I was not thinking at the time. A complete set of pictures with larger resolution can be found in my Flickr account.

9184957113_3ca4cf5ed8.jpg

Rear Window UP
9184961797_8cb86eed54.jpg

Rear Window Down
9187408860_c9949197e9.jpg

9187412208_67320b9625.jpg

9187425210_18d73de0ae.jpg

9187419974_30d1cb7ec8.jpg

9187423488_fd02fee869.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Joe:

I'm torn because I think 40 is the perfect tint level on white but the SD club Mr Tint deal is very compelling. Tough decision 35 vs 50! After the feed back here I've changed to 15 for the rear hatch and AirBlue80 for the front windshield.

I'm also milling around trying to decide on the xpel wrap as well. It is so helpful to have a rich source of knowledgable owners on TMC…Thanks for all the comments people!

Last edited:
Ah apologies... read your post too quickly.

I'll sit in the back seat and see what I notice and chime back in on this thread.

Well I tested this out. For me, I get the rainbow effect on the 50% (lighter) tint on the front windows. I do not see the effect on the 35% (darker) windows, even when sitting near them in the back seat.

Perhaps it's a difference in how the tints are polarized (linear vs. circular?) and the type of glasses lenses one has?

I've heard great things about PhotoSync.
one thing I've always wondered, can the photosync tint be applied onto another tint such as formula one, that way you don't get the blue-ish hue.
id love to find out if anyone knows the answer :)