Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Window Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Photosync 75 on the windshield does have a very slight haze. This is from the angle of the windshield and why it is not noticeable on the side windows. I had 3M's crystalline 70 on my windshield and replaced it with the Photosync 75. It was a good decision. Some observations: The Photosync 75 has better clarity than the Crystalline. Looking through the Crystalline it was always apparent one was looking through a film. Moving the eyes up and down one could see the artifacts of distortion looking at straight lines. The Crystalline also had the effect of shifting the paint color of cars as they moved by. Much more pronounced when wearing polaroid glasses. Also the Crystalline had more than a slight haze effect, the view out the windshield is more like looking out at a real smoggy day. Both brands of tints really block the heat coming in through the windshield and I would put them on par with each other. Also, the haze effect is really only noticeable when driving into the sun for both brands of tint. Personally I like the Photosync better on the windshield than the Crystalline.

Thanks for the comparison Tommy. Do you think a darker tint on the windshield would make it better? I don't see that haze through the rear hatch glass where I used Photosync 65.

Thanks for the comparison Tommy. Do you think a darker tint on the windshield would make it better? I don't see that haze through the rear hatch glass where I used Photosync 65.

Personally, I didn't do the darker tint on the windshield as I didn't want to draw attention to the fact it was tinted to law enforcement. I can tell you when I had the Crystalline 70, it was noticeable from the outside that the windshield was tinted. Very hard to see the driver at certain angles from the front and also the windshield had a bronze look to it that was also a tell. Based on this observation, I think the Photosync 65 would look like the windshield was tinted viewed from the outside. Personal decision if you think that is a good thing or bad. Most importantly, keep in mind you will be driving also at night so I don't think the Photosync 65 is a good all around fit for the windshield as it might be a bit too dark at night. Being it adapts to light might be the saving grace why it might work for you thou.

Regarding the haze effect, I discussed this with my installer and he specifically mentioned it was the angle rake of the windshield that was the cause. Certain brands are more prone than others. I know from personal experience that Crystalline shows the haze effect more so than Photosync. The only other brand I am aware of suitable for the windshield is Llumar's Air 80, though I am sure there are others.

If you're thinking of changing the tint I would suggest waiting for a Tesla club meet-up in your area and then look at the other tint brands on actual cars. That is what I did and decided to switch out the windshield after seeing the noticeable better clarity of the Photosync tint film.

Update: It's been about 2 or 3 mos since I've had photosync and I still love it. Looks really good and the clarity is quite crisp when I'm looking through the windows. I dropped into Premier to get my some paint armor done for the trunk area and saw them testing two other MS (a white P85 and the other a black P85+). They let me watch their test and it was apparent how good photosync was. I don't remember how long they had both MSs outside, but one had the 35 and the other didn't have anything. I was watching them test the interior temperatures every 5-10 minutes or so and the difference was quite dramatic. I only remember in the end they had 144 degrees in the rear hatch of the MS w/o any tint. On the white P85, it's temperature reading was only 102 degrees. I think they were testing it for 45 minutes. From their explanation, they were not testing surface temperature readings, but the air temperature, which is more important.

Glad I have it and I can vouch for this tint especially after watching a live test and feeling the difference everyday.

rdrcrmatt: many thanks for the photos of the 3M crystalline 35%. Does it have a bronze tint? I have heard reports of the tint over the hatch looking purplish. Do you find this to be the case?

here ya go, see for your own eyes.

DSC_0055e.jpg

DSC_0074e.jpg

DSC_0087e.jpg

Ok, but what was the air temperature outside the cars?

Was in the 80s

- - - Updated - - -

Personally, I didn't do the darker tint on the windshield as I didn't want to draw attention to the fact it was tinted to law enforcement. I can tell you when I had the Crystalline 70, it was noticeable from the outside that the windshield was tinted. Very hard to see the driver at certain angles from the front and also the windshield had a bronze look to it that was also a tell. Based on this observation, I think the Photosync 65 would look like the windshield was tinted viewed from the outside. Personal decision if you think that is a good thing or bad. Most importantly, keep in mind you will be driving also at night so I don't think the Photosync 65 is a good all around fit for the windshield as it might be a bit too dark at night. Being it adapts to light might be the saving grace why it might work for you thou.

Regarding the haze effect, I discussed this with my installer and he specifically mentioned it was the angle rake of the windshield that was the cause. Certain brands are more prone than others. I know from personal experience that Crystalline shows the haze effect more so than Photosync. The only other brand I am aware of suitable for the windshield is Llumar's Air 80, though I am sure there are others.

If you're thinking of changing the tint I would suggest waiting for a Tesla club meet-up in your area and then look at the other tint brands on actual cars. That is what I did and decided to switch out the windshield after seeing the noticeable better clarity of the Photosync tint film.

I agree. I've seen this bronzish look with Crystalline as my co-worker has it on his AMG and I was not a fan.

Hi new here, been following this thread for a while now trying to decide if I should get the photosync 45% or 35% all around. From the specs, the 35% blocks up to 79% total solar energy which is simply amazing, most I've seen from any tint. Here in Cali, I've gotten ticketed for 35% before so not sure if I want to risk it again, plus be expensive to retint if I do get a ticket :( Does anybody have any pics or can take some pics of how the 45% look at night? Just want to get an idea how it looks at night.

Hi new here, been following this thread for a while now trying to decide if I should get the photosync 45% or 35% all around. From the specs, the 35% blocks up to 79% total solar energy which is simply amazing, most I've seen from any tint. Here in Cali, I've gotten ticketed for 35% before so not sure if I want to risk it again, plus be expensive to retint if I do get a ticket :( Does anybody have any pics or can take some pics of how the 45% look at night? Just want to get an idea how it looks at night.

I don't know if you saw the video earlier in this thread or not, but it doesn't seem to be a huge difference between the different darknesses in the Photosync line. There's improvement, but it seems pretty marginal to me. I'm planning to just do 65% to hopefully avoid any unwanted attention here in SoCal.

Thanks for the info, I am considering Mr. Tint even though its a 2 hour drive.

While I was disappointed in the prices & none of them offered XPEL paint protection, driving the car around without the wife & kids was a blast, I am going to hit up a few more shops this Saturday, hopefully I can find a shop in Malibu :biggrin:

I'm very interested in tinting my soon-to-be-delivered MS but somewhat conflicted about the cost. A lot of people recommend the Photosync which sounds great for heat rejection but was quoted $1350 for WS, all around, and pano. The same place offers Pinnacle F1 for about $770. (Autowerks)

-In place of a sunshade or screen, are the cheaper tints able to provide the heat protection?

-Would tinting the pano roof allow me to avoid using a sun shade or having to use sunglasses all the time? (SoCal)

-Have not tinted my car before so not sure how a mismatch of front vs rear side windows would look. What's the best %'s for avoiding tickets, but not having a noticeable contrast? I was thinking WS 75%, Front 65%, Rear 45%, Tail 35%, Pano 35%. Is that too weird?

Thanks so much for all the good info!

I went with Photosync 75 on the windshield and front windows, 55 on the rear passengers and hatchback and 35 on the pano roof.

The 75 on the fronts is nearly invisible so as to reduce the risk of undue attention, and the 55s give some tint and doesn't wreck my night view out the back hatchback. 35 on the roof makes a nice dark top. There is definitely less glare coming in from the roof now.

The family reports much less heat in all seats.

I was initially worried that all this differing tint would look funny but its all very subtle. I'm extremely happy with this film.

I don't have a picture exposed for the windows yet but will post some soon.

I'm very interested in tinting my soon-to-be-delivered MS but somewhat conflicted about the cost. A lot of people recommend the Photosync which sounds great for heat rejection but was quoted $1350 for WS, all around, and pano. The same place offers Pinnacle F1 for about $770. (Autowerks)

-In place of a sunshade or screen, are the cheaper tints able to provide the heat protection?

-Would tinting the pano roof allow me to avoid using a sun shade or having to use sunglasses all the time? (SoCal)

-Have not tinted my car before so not sure how a mismatch of front vs rear side windows would look. What's the best %'s for avoiding tickets, but not having a noticeable contrast? I was thinking WS 75%, Front 65%, Rear 45%, Tail 35%, Pano 35%. Is that too weird?

Thanks so much for all the good info!

I had F1 Pinnacle on 4-5 previous vehicles. The pinnacle definitely blocks more heat. I think front and rear windows with different percentages looks weird. I suggest going 75% WS, maybe 55% front and rear and pano 50%. I have 75% 35 all around and its great. It was about 90-93 today in So cal and my car's temperature was around 80-85.

One thing to remember is the Photosync 65 darkens to 55 when exposed to the sun. I'm hoping that is not dark enough to attract a ticket...

nothing to worry about ... we have 65 on the front of our shop car and I can tell you it *looks* more like a 5% visual difference when the SAC is activated... so its not noticeable to most people if they are not looking for it. Got pulled over the other day actually ... was asked to roll up the windows and passed with flying colors. :) this was mid day on the 10fwy heading eastbound in full sun!

nothing to worry about ... we have 65 on the front of our shop car and I can tell you it *looks* more like a 5% visual difference when the SAC is activated... so its not noticeable to most people if they are not looking for it. Got pulled over the other day actually ... was asked to roll up the windows and passed with flying colors. :) this was mid day on the 10fwy heading eastbound in full sun!

Thanks. That's good to know.

I'm getting my wife's Volt done this weekend as a test (still have not ordered my Model S...) with 75 on the windsheild, 65 everywhere else. She's worried about tickets, so hopefully there are no issues...