Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Window Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently had mine done at Eco-Tint here in Las Vegas. I had to wait three weeks from my delivery date to get the tint physical at the shop, Viet Tran the provider of the film had to physically ship the film from Prestige Films. Eco-tint did the installation, they did a wonderful job with the car and the windows were even ready to be rolled down right away.

I got the Photosync 75% on the pano and windshield and 35% on the four windows and rear hatch. I love it so far, the exterior windows are all legal and the 75% is so light, it's really just to keep the heat out here in Vegas. I will post pics when I get a chance, I haven't even posted a review of the car and today's its 1 month anniversary!

I've now had my Photosync on for about 11 days, so I think it's fully dried.

I can report a persistence of a slight distortion in the windshield (Photosync 75) again like an orange peel like blurring of horizontal lines (tops of cars, etc). If you look from the outside of the vehicle at a very oblique angle to the windshield you can see the texture of the film on the inside.

As others have mentioned this might be more visible due to angle of the windshield (the view out my drivers side and front passenger -- also 75's -- is very clear). Have others with PS 75 noticed this? Is best seen on sunny days.

Also I do still think there are more visible/accentuated reflections of headlights etc in the rear hatchback defrost lines.

All of these I can live with given the benefits of the film, but I'm checking in to see of other people have noted the same. Do other tints do this on the windshield as well?

I can report a persistence of a slight distortion in the windshield (Photosync 75) again like an orange peel like blurring of horizontal lines (tops of cars, etc). If you look from the outside of the vehicle at a very oblique angle to the windshield you can see the texture of the film on the inside.

As others have mentioned this might be more visible due to angle of the windshield (the view out my drivers side and front passenger -- also 75's -- is very clear). Have others with PS 75 noticed this? Is best seen on sunny days.

Also I do still think there are more visible/accentuated reflections of headlights etc in the rear hatchback defrost lines.

All of these I can live with given the benefits of the film, but I'm checking in to see of other people have noted the same. Do other tints do this on the windshield as well?

I have the photosynch on my MS and very happy with the results. I have the 75 on the front windscreen and do not see the lines that you describe. I have another brand tint (3m?) on my son's car and I see the headlamp distorted light view, but I can only see it at night time. My son doesn't seem to notice when I first brought it up to him, so I personally have acclimated to it before I received my one and only luxury car. Many benefits of this film.

i Also notice the same on my windshield when looking from inside. I have photosync 75 in the windshield and pano roof and 65 everywhere else. I think the orange peel texture is the reflection of the dashboard since I only see it from the inside at certain angle. i also notice the accentuated reflection in the defrost lines of the hatch. Not a huge deal but it is there.
For me the biggest thing is the front windshield. It looks hazy when driving with the sun in front and the solar coating gets activated. Then again that's when you need the tint the most.
I installed mine exactly 2 weeks ago here in Florida. Given you installed yours around the same time, I wonder if there was a batch of 75 that was produced with some defect.

Awesome looking car. Looks just like mine :wink: It was about 95 today in So cal and the interior temperature was only in the 80 in the car with the tint. Great stuff!

Actually i think it might be your car lol ! What I think is funny is how all the pictures where with white vehicles. I have pictures with other colors an will put them up when I get a second to make sure plates are blocked out.

i Also notice the same on my windshield when looking from inside. I have photosync 75 in the windshield and pano roof and 65 everywhere else. I think the orange peel texture is the reflection of the dashboard since I only see it from the inside at certain angle. i also notice the accentuated reflection in the defrost lines of the hatch. Not a huge deal but it is there.
For me the biggest thing is the front windshield. It looks hazy when driving with the sun in front and the solar coating gets activated. Then again that's when you need the tint the most.
I installed mine exactly 2 weeks ago here in Florida. Given you installed yours around the same time, I wonder if there was a batch of 75 that was produced with some defect.

I'm thinking this might be with all tints, and where it shows up most on the windshield. Mine is not Photosync, 80% carbon, but has that subtlety hazy look when the sun is out. And with 40% in the back, I get the headlight reflections off the defrost lines in the rear too.

Have you tried wearing polarized sunglasses and see anything different when you drive? Would be interesting to see or hear about your thoughts on that.

@rawady: I think the texture of the film is accentuated by the slope of the windshield. I have 75 on the windshield and front driver/passenger side windows. When looking out the side windows, the view is without distortion -- that glass sits at a right angle whereas the windshield is obviously more slanted, so you end up looking across the surface of the film.

I note vertical lines don't seem distorted but that might be intrinsically harder to see. I wonder if the film were installed rotated 90 degrees the distortion wouldn't be as notable (I didn't see the rolls of film, but I'd imagine there is only one orientation you can cut out a windshield sized panel). It's interesting other Photosync users haven't reported this: either they just didn't notice it or there are batch issues. I don't think this is related to the installation -- it looks seamless and has no bubbles.

As for the accentuated reflections and shimmer I can see in the rear hatch -- this looks like its due to the tiny space between the defrost lines and the film -- the small pocket of air/film/glass will cause refractive changes. This is my first tint I've had: is this intrinsic to film installation? It seems to be a physical limitation as the film can't snug up 100% around raised surfaces (defrost lines, painted texture like text, windshield black borders & bumps).

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1377971160.839882.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1377971128.954382.jpg

As for the accentuated reflections and shimmer I can see in the rear hatch -- this looks like its due to the tiny space between the defrost lines and the film -- the small pocket of air/film/glass will cause refractive changes. This is my first tint I've had: is this intrinsic to film installation? It seems to be a physical limitation as the film can't snug up 100% around raised surfaces (defrost lines, painted texture like text, windshield black borders & bumps).

This.

I am having my MS wrapped in Xpel Ultimate and wanted to tint the windows at the same time. After reading through this entire thread, I came to conclusion that PhotoSync was the best option, I was going to go with 45 because with the factory tint considered, I was told a 35 may not pass the state inspection (in NC the legal limit is 35 and window tint is checked each year during the annual state inspection) but then when I spoke to Prestige, they indicated that even the 45 was at risk of not passing the state inspection as when it is fully exposed to light, the levels can drop as the film becomes more effective. So they suggested I go with 55 but looking at photos, the 55 is too light aesthetically for my liking. So now I am reconsidering using a different tint. The place that is wrapping my car in the Xpel said they offer Huper Optik and SunTek CXP. Does anyone have Huper Optik and do they like it? Is Huper Optik better than SunTek CXP?

Last edited:
I they indicated that even the 45 was at risk of not passing the state inspection as when it is fully exposed to light, the levels can drop as the film becomes more effective. So they suggested I go with 55 but looking at photos, the 55 is too light aesthetically for my liking. So now I am reconsidering using a different tint.

The 45 get close to 35 when exposed to the sun. Can you get your inspection in the morning or evening? At those times it would be closer to a true 45...

I am having my MS wrapped in Xpel Ultimate and wanted to tint the windows at the same time. After reading through this entire thread, I came to conclusion that PhotoSync was the best option, I was going to go with 45 because with the factory tint considered, I was told a 35 may not pass the state inspection (in NC the legal limit is 35 and window tint is checked each year during the annual state inspection) but then when I spoke to Prestige, they indicated that even the 45 was at risk of not passing the state inspection as when it is fully exposed to light, the levels can drop as the film becomes more effective. So they suggested I go with 55 but looking at photos, the 55 is too light aesthetically for my liking. So now I am reconsidering using a different tint. The place that is wrapping my car in the Xpel said they offer Huper Optik and SunTek CXP. Does anyone have Huper Optik and do they like it? Is Huper Optik better than SunTek CXP?

I would just go as dark as you want. When its time for inspection, just have your tint taken off and then get it inspected and then have it put back on. It's a bit of a pain in the arse, but I'd rather do that then settle for less and not get the look that you want. Fortunately in NJ, electric cars are exempt from inspection LOL so I can do whatever I want :)

But when I was a teeny bopper, I had 5% limo tint on a 97 silver Camaro RS. There was no way that was going to pass (NO tint is allowed on driver and passenger windows at all, no matter what the %). So what did I do back then? I rolled down the windows and disabled the motors. It failed for mechanical malfunction. So the only note I got to pass inspection was to fix the window motors. So I went home, reenabled them (all I did was pop the cover off and pull the wire from the control), then went to a different shop with the notice to fix the motors to pass and was like "hey I had to fix this equipment and it works now" and they passed me HAHA ! Since I didn't fail for tint and the notice was only for broken window motor, the 2nd shop wasn't inspecting it for tint. :) however, the cops didn't like it very much and would pull me over every other week lol

I have 3M Crystalline 40 on mine and it looks good on the sides, but it has some reaction with the finish on the rear window and looks purple. I've been meaning to have the rear window redone with something else. I have no experience with Huper Optik or PhotoSync so can't really help you there with that :/

The place that is wrapping my car in the Xpel said they offer Huper Optik and SunTek CXP. Does anyone have Huper Optik and do they like it? Is Huper Optik better than SunTek CXP?

Everyone that I know with Huper love what they have, but I have SunTek CXP, and not sure I can say the same about mine. Looks great from the outside, and holds color over the long haul, but sure gives rainbow effects looking out with polarized glasses, and has some ghosting at certain sun angles.

I have the Huper Optik and I do like it very much, though I am no expert. I went as legally dark as I could go here in CO and the heat reduction inside the car is noticeably reduced. It is non-metalic so there is no interference and doesn't give off a bluish tint. Looks good with the Sig Red too.

It's a mixed bag with Huper:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=552220

I've had issue with CA (comfort access) from day one with reception. Service adviser had me remove the tint as they replaced my key fob and it didn't work to improve my range. Also AM reception was grainy after my Huper tint was put on. So long story short, I had it removed and sure enough the reception on CA was back. GRRRRRRRRRR

You could be in the clear with the state inspections - I took my car through inspections and they gave me a 5 year expiration (2018) because it's electric. Most ICE cars in NJ have annual inspections. So you could get the dark tint and not have to worry. You should call the DMV and find out. GL