Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S windshield wiper upgrade!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does any one know if it is possible to upgrade the model S wiper assembly to the one that is on the Model 3?

The Model S wipers are not that great during the winter. Overspray and spraying at the wrong spot is a huge problem and it makes the car less safe in the winter. For this I want to switch to the Model 3 system where the nozzle is on the wiper arm and it sprays more direcydito the windshield and cleans the blade.

Does any one know if it is possible to upgrade the model S wiper assembly to the one that is on the Model 3?

The Model S wipers are not that great during the winter. Overspray and spraying at the wrong spot is a huge problem and it makes the car less safe in the winter. For this I want to switch to the Model 3 system where the nozzle is on the wiper arm and it sprays more direcydito the windshield and cleans the blade.
My washer sprays didn't hit the right part of the windshield when I bought my car, so I just adjusted the nozzles with a pin, much as one does with many cars nowadays.

Good wipers are a big deal for me, and my model S' wipers are a huge disappointment, though it seems like not everyone has the same issues I do. The drivers side washer on my car sprays directly into the back of the wiper blade itself! So the windshield only gets cleaned on the down-stroke. And then the wipers chatter like crazy. I tried RainX and it did not help at all. I had a mobile tech come and adjust the wipers, but all he did was bend the wiper arm so that it applies more pressure to the windsheild. It helped, but only a little.

I'm going to try new blades, and manually adjusting the sprayer.

Good wipers are a big deal for me, and my model S' wipers are a huge disappointment, though it seems like not everyone has the same issues I do. The drivers side washer on my car sprays directly into the back of the wiper blade itself! So the windshield only gets cleaned on the down-stroke. And then the wipers chatter like crazy. I tried RainX and it did not help at all. I had a mobile tech come and adjust the wipers, but all he did was bend the wiper arm so that it applies more pressure to the windsheild. It helped, but only a little.

I'm going to try new blades, and manually adjusting the sprayer.
Your car is under warranty. They will replace and adjust these things for you if you ask. While under warranty you should not have to do a thing. I get my car serviced also. Last 12,500 they replaced the wipers. I took it back as the factory wipers worked great I said. They replace the ones they just put in and got them to work perfect. The washer has always worked perfect. Let them adjust these things like sprayers. Make life easy on yourself, you paid now let them do what they do. If its not right, take it back.

Last edited:
The early Model S came with the dual spray nozzles on both sides of the windshield. Our 2012 S required frequent adjustment to keep the spray hitting in a usable place on the windshield, and periodically requiring manual adjustment to get them back to a usable spot.

Later Model S come with fan spray nozzles, that don't appear to require any adjustment, since they hit such a wide area on the windshield.

If you have one of the early Model S with the dual spray nozzles, you can have the Service Center replace those nozzles with the newer fan spray versions. Did this on our 2012 S - and after that, never had any issues with the sprays.

Great thread about the wipers.
Almost ordered them then realized the add says DOES NOT FIT 2017 S.
so that thread is old and those guys had 2014 models etc. maybe they changed them for later 2017 models.
so now I’m not quite sure again. Need a bit more reading I think.
Strange, but you are correct, at least for PIAA. Their fitment guide lists part numbers for 2012-2015, then only 2018, skipping 2016/17.
Older cars were 28”/18” (driver/passenger) and 2018 cars are 26”/18”. Can you take a pic of your current blades to show what type of adapter/mount is used? Maybe that’s the limiting factor.

Last edited:
CC80E391-42D9-430C-8BC3-6CC9C2C984CB.jpeg
Strange, but you are correct, at least for PIAA. Their fitment guide lists part numbers for 2012-2015, then only 2018, skipping 2016/17.
Older cars were 28”/18” (driver/passenger) and 2028 cars are 26”/18”. Can you take a pic of your current blades to show what type of adapter/mount is used? Maybe that’s the limiting factor.
Yeah now I’m a bit confused here is what they look like on a 2017 S.

• Love
Reactions: pedriscoll
The early Model S came with the dual spray nozzles on both sides of the windshield. Our 2012 S required frequent adjustment to keep the spray hitting in a usable place on the windshield, and periodically requiring manual adjustment to get them back to a usable spot.

Later Model S come with fan spray nozzles, that don't appear to require any adjustment, since they hit such a wide area on the windshield.

If you have one of the early Model S with the dual spray nozzles, you can have the Service Center replace those nozzles with the newer fan spray versions. Did this on our 2012 S - and after that, never had any issues with the sprays.

As I recall, there was another thread about the nozzles a couple of years ago, and it was pointed out that the nozzles are different depending upon whether or not you have the sub-zero winter package. If the car has that package, the nozzles have the heaters in them, and can't be interchanged with the type that "fans" out the spray. So the conclusion then was, as I recall, that the fan spray was not an option for the heated nozzles. (I remember it that way because I have the heated nozzles so i concluded I could not get better nozzles and relied on the SC to adjust the nozzles.)

Anyone know if the situation is any different now?