Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X deliveries with Intel-based MCU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is slow, but is not busted by any means. It is still one of the best screens out there, the only exception being the Tesla new MCU.

I do hope that someday they would offer a MCU1.5 upgrade with a new computable daughter board with faster CPU and memory.

To be honest the only thing that is slow is the browser, the rest is fast, not just instant. Feels like Android pre 2016.

Just a general comment to those of you continuing comparing apples with oranges (not meant to be harsh:))

2018.10.4 - Old MCU runs the bitmap-maps
2018.10.1/2018.10.2 - New MCU runs Vector-maps and (maybe) also a tweaked browser

Just put all comparisons aside for the time being. Vector maps WILL COME to MCU1 and then it will perform better than the current bitmap-version. It will of course not be as fast as new MCU, but it will be a lot better than if doing the comparison today.

When vector maps is out for MCU1 we can start doing the real comparison. Until then, it just doesn't mean anything.

Just a general comment to those of you continuing comparing apples with oranges (not meant to be harsh:))

2018.10.4 - Old MCU runs the bitmap-maps
2018.10.1/2018.10.2 - New MCU runs Vector-maps and (maybe) also a tweaked browser

Just put all comparisons aside for the time being. Vector maps WILL COME to MCU1 and then it will perform better than the current bitmap-version. It will of course not be as fast as new MCU, but it will be a lot better than if doing the comparison today.

When vector maps is out for MCU1 we can start doing the real comparison. Until then, it just doesn't mean anything.

Hi evster,

Just a stupid question (maybe) :
- Vector maps are native (fully used) out of the satelitte view and in the screen behind the wheel.
- In the satelitte view mode, it's still bimap maps (google earth photo mapping) for MCU1 and MCU2.

Am I right or am I missing something ?

• Disagree
Reactions: tessellator
Hi evster,

Just a stupid question (maybe) :
- Vector maps are native (fully used) out of the satelitte view and in the screen behind the wheel.
- In the satelitte view mode, it's still bimap maps (google earth photo mapping) for MCU1 and MCU2.

Am I right or am I missing something ?

What you see behind the steering wheel is something completely separate from the Vector maps. In our current cars that is a render based on Navigon system (used for navigation, as opposed to 17" screen which uses Google). The rumor (with high probability) is that when Tesla release the new navigation UI all together this Navigon will be passed to history and replaced with something else. Probably looking very similar, but will have a slightly different UI. Hopefully improved.

The satellite view is not effected by the Vector maps. Satellite view will still render images/tiles.

It is slow, but is not busted by any means. It is still one of the best screens out there, the only exception being the Tesla new MCU.

I do hope that someday they would offer a MCU1.5 upgrade with a new computable daughter board with faster CPU and memory.
Yeah. I just took the picture. I didn't write the text saying it was busted! Lol.

I think vector maps will make it faster and hopefully we'll get a browser update one of these days as well.

How can we tell if we are running vector maps or not?
Do the two-finger rotate on the street map. Any location labels (city names, points of interest) will stay level and not resize while the map turns under them. The old bitmap tile maps do not — they're only available in 90° orientations and as loaded images, so if your map is turned to the northeast, for example, all the location labels will be tilted.

Also, zooming in and out will be much smoother.

Just got notified that my MS coming next week has the old MCU. Does anyone know if the new antennas in the side mirrors I also read about are only with the new MCU? Are they connected or could my MS have those. My DS and OA have no information on the options with my car other than what’s on the site. When I had my overnight test drive I wasn’t really concerned about the speed and responsiveness of the display.

Not to sound too stupid but why else should I car about the new MCU?

Thanks - Tony

Reactions: bhzmark
I have found this thread very helpful and informative. I wanted to add another data point for those interested. My DS just notified me that my Model X does indeed have the new MCU. It has the lowest VIN I’ve seen posted here with the new MCU.

Model X 100D with the new MCU
VIN 883xx
Build finish date March 8th

Thanks and good luck to all those waiting to hear!

I have found this thread very helpful and informative. I wanted to add another data point for those interested. My DS just notified me that my Model X does indeed have the new MCU. It has the lowest VIN I’ve seen posted here with the new MCU.

VIN 883xx

It seems like the VIN is somewhat irrelevant. For me it was issued 3 days after I ordered my Model S 100D - 2/22. (249xxx) in production 3/9-3/15.
The build date seems to be the only determining factor for US cars. March. Anything prior seems to be a crapshoot.

VIN 883xx

Hey, when did you order the car? My VIN is 893xx And placed my order on Jan 30th

Ordered on January 6th confirmed on the 9th. I received my VIN in the middle of January. My production start date may have been pushed out since I am located in the Midwest.

Have you heard if you have the new or old MCU?
Waiting to hear back from them. They are looking into it. I’m on the east coast by the way. I will report back once I hear back from them.

• Funny
Reactions: ranma64
Has anyone with the new MCU had a chance to get the screen resolution info off this page yet? https://jsfiddle.net/qja8wjxc/30/show

Thanks!
71E7006E-629F-46C4-AA5B-B1ADE6412A7F.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark