Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X deliveries with Intel-based MCU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just talked to delivery here in Norway, and according to them all Teslas being delivered this month to customers should have the new MCU. I am expecting a delivery during next week or week after... For my part, if this is true I have a Tesla produced in mid Jan that has the new MCU...
Based on what I have read here, it is more likely the delivery person is wrong, but who knows.
One thing is for sure, I will refuse delivery if the MCU is the old Tegra.

This mentality drives me more insane than I am already...

Rolling the dice??? You get what you paid for - no dice rolling.

If you are lucky you might receive an upgrade that was above what your expectations and purchase cost.

I seriously doubt when you trade the car in 3-5 years later the dealer will worry about what MCU you have. I might even argue in 5 years the number of old MCU 2018 cars will be so small - the down rev MCU people will receive the same trade in value as the new MCU cars.

Try to unlock your brain for a moment. With the model year way, you know what the trade offs are when you make your purchase decision. You know what the feature set is for existing and upcoming model years. It is known well in advance. The Tesla way, there is always hidden information that consumers don’t know. There could be a major model refresh that will occur in 2 months from now. If I was buying a car today, I might want to wait 2 months to get that refresh, or I might want to buy a discounted car right now since I don’t care about the refresh. But Tesla doesn’t give out that info, so I must gamble that nothing that I care about will be changed in time horizon of when I would wait to get that feature.

It isn’t about resale value, it is about making an informed decision now. Would I personally wait 3 months for a newer Model S and pay $3k more for it for a faster display? I would, many wouldn’t, but it is nice to be able to make the choice, rather than rolling the dice.

It isn’t about resale value, it is about making an informed decision now. Would I personally wait 3 months for a newer Model S and pay $3k more for it for a faster display? I would, many wouldn’t, but it is nice to be able to make the choice, rather than rolling the dice.

I got some inside info for you. In 6 months, the Tesla's for sale will be better then the ones they are selling today.

Also 6 months after that, the same applies.

And so on, and so on.... That's Tesla.

Just an update:

It appears my 2/20 completed P100D has the old MCU, so I won't be taking delivery tomorrow. However, they offered to roll my $2,500 to my new order (so I have $5,000 down on it). Great customer service.

I've waited years, what's a few more months? The one disappointment is I was planning a road trip for early May that I planned just because I'd have the Tesla. Maybe I'll rent one instead.
But then the refresh will be very very imminent by then.

Try to unlock your brain for a moment. With the model year way, you know what the trade offs are when you make your purchase decision. You know what the feature set is for existing and upcoming model years. It is known well in advance. The Tesla way, there is always hidden information that consumers don’t know. There could be a major model refresh that will occur in 2 months from now. If I was buying a car today, I might want to wait 2 months to get that refresh, or I might want to buy a discounted car right now since I don’t care about the refresh. But Tesla doesn’t give out that info, so I must gamble that nothing that I care about will be changed in time horizon of when I would wait to get that feature.

I've been following this forum and other threads for a while, and it has been widely predicted there was going to be a change to the cars. I guess this is it. I am just concerned that the promised improvements to the satnav are going to be linked to the new hardware

EV-FW has user 'preilly4' reporting 2018.10.1 on a Model 3, vin 0030xx. Teslafi.com has 2018.10.1 recorded on a different Model 3 VIN 004XXX (TeslaFi.com Tesla Model S X 3 Data Logger).

Where did you see 2018.10.1 on a MS/MX? It would be very interesting if they are releasing the same firmware across all model lines.

If you've ever been on a Fremont factory tour, they track everything down to which parts go into which car. So yeah, they can track VINs through production. It's just who has access to the most accurate/up to date info that is key.

I'm checking with @DÆrik . He filmed a video of a new Model S delivery on Wednesday and the car had 2018.6.50. Later, he said "He already got an update to 2018.10.1" and I thought he was referring to the Model S that he had just recorded the video on. It is possible he was referring to a different "he". :confused:

I confirmed that it was an S75D delivered on Wednesday with 2018.6.50. The Model S got the 2018.10.1 update later that night. So it looks like the new Intel MCUs and the Model 3 might share release builds.

I highly doubt that "MCU2" will be option coded. The base OS is Ubuntu which is a good multi-architecture base; Tesla obviously have done the work and testing to get their codebase running fine on x64 (it probably always did) so really there probably isn't much effort to support both platforms behind the scenes and they likely do not represent major differences inasmuch as the current software is concerned. It's just a question of which arch the image is built for...

A big remaining question that has yet to be answered is what has happened to the IC on these newer vehicles. Is it still a separate Tegra3 computer? Has it moved to Intel also? Is it even a standalone system anymore or just a second display on the updated MCU? I think this is one of the biggest questions that remains as to whether or not it would be possible to do a retrofit (through official or unofficial means). I really don't see the side mirrors and wiring harness things being a barrier. The side mirror stuff is all USB; there is really no reason why a retrofit couldn't simply use the Intel MCU with the Parrot 2.4ghz-only bluetooth+wifi modules that are already in the mirrors.

On the subject of Tegra, we are all sitting here bashing it because it's a few years old. Listen, the MCU display is pretty simple. There is absolutely no reason that the Tegra 3 or 4 (information is conflicting) should not be able to do the job a lot better than it does. If Tesla really doesn't want a bunch of backlash from this, they may finally take the time to make their UI snappy on Tegra. The Tegra should be fully capable of rendering the MCU UI at 60fps and responding to touches with much lower latency. Many systems have been built on lower spec hardware that worked just fine; the software people just have to put in the work. If they don't want a bunch of pissed off customers they are gonna have to step up and get the performance out of the older hardware.

it is about making an informed decision now
You are also making an informed decision buying a Tesla, it's just you're not happy with the horizon of available information Tesla releases, but the decision is still informed based and the information available. I understand that you'd like to have more information, but, hey, I'd like to know earning reports a bit earlier but that aint happening.

Can you get the hash code for 2018.10.1 on the S?

2018.10.1 5e8433d
2018-03-16_1128.png

But then the refresh will be very very imminent by then.

Been hearing about this rumored refresh for...what? Has it hit two years yet?

I like the look of the car on the outside. I don't see that changing and I don't know that it would do much if they did change it. I'm fine with the interior. Much of the interior can be done aftermarket as good as or better than what a refresh will be (albeit not cheaply). New car has the vanity. Aftermarket coat hangers cost $10. What else do I need? I'm a gadget guy who loves the roller coaster acceleration. I'm not going to ride El Toro (coaster in NJ) more because they add cushions to the grips.

The only thing that bothered me about the car was the sluggishness and freezing of the touchscreen (in the 2015 I rented). This fixes my main concern.

Ha I love these threads. Newer is not always better for everyone. Take AP1 vs AP2, enough said. Or the significant loss of Frunk space after the frunk refresh a couple years ago. Or how the high res dash is slower than the older low res.

I would agree that consumers should always be informed. Customers should also not be expected to pay identical prices with no choice for older, legacy components. Customers don't buy an iPhone, and expected to gamble that they'll open up the box to find an iPhone 7 instead of the iPhone 8 for the exact same price. Apple doesn't say, hey you wanted an iPhone, you should not expect it to be the 8.

Tesla's are basically smartphones on wheels, hence my analogy.

Last edited:
AP will continue to be updated. But I think on the history ofnthe S and X this will be a major point like the face refresh. Cars on MCU1 will no longer recieve major infotainment updates

This just does not makes sense. Why? Because if Tesla suddenly start to add new features/apps/whatever for certain cars (with new MCU) customers will question why they were not informed about the hardware change. The UI today looks exactly the same MUC1/MCU2 and Tesla have (and probably never will) write anything official about this hardware change. With AP2 it was different. With those cars a new hardware suite was introduced and announced. With this new MCU hardware we're talking about a bit snappier interface, but I don't think we'll see different features for new MCU2.

Last edited:
Ha I love these threads. Newer is not always better for everyone. Take AP1 vs AP2, enough said. Or the significant loss of Frunk space after the frunk refresh a couple years ago. Or how the high res dash is slower than the older low res.

I would agree that consumers should always be informed. Customers should also not be expected to pay identical prices for older, legacy components. Customers don't pay iPhone 8 prices for an iPhone 7, even though the outside looks identical. And arguably they do identical things.

In many cases you are correct. There are people who might prefer old style seats to new one. Or I still really like the old style MS fronts. Of course, not too mention AP1 vs AP2.

However, this situation is not one of them. We're talking about a processor based in 2011 technology vs 2018. There is no comparison. Who wouldn't want faster technology? Especially when said technology might be needed for future upgrades?

Reactions: kak1154
I just talked to delivery here in Norway, and according to them all Teslas being delivered this month to customers should have the new MCU. I am expecting a delivery during next week or week after... For my part, if this is true I have a Tesla produced in mid Jan that has the new MCU...
Based on what I have read here, it is more likely the delivery person is wrong, but who knows.

I think with this rationale you will never get a Tesla. If you refuse this delivery with the old MCU and re-order, your car will appear in Norway in June... but at that point you'd probably also refuse delivery because of some other stuff changed. Maybe a new interior refresh, exterior facelift or a new battery pack. Who knows ;)

That's simply not how it works. If you refuse delivery then you can kiss your deposit goodbye. You got the car you ordered and Tesla makes constant changes, what else are you going to refuse delivery for?

Jeff