Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X deliveries with Intel-based MCU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok. so one more thought here... The videos we have seen of the new MCU2 all are with a different software version just like reported in this thread. This software version ALREADY include the Vector based and high definitions maps instead of the OLD and slow bitmaps that we currently have with the MCU1 software.

So when MCU1 get these Vector maps (which it should) the difference will be smaller. Maybe this also applies for the browser. The software for the updated MCU already have new code for the browser, but the old MCU still got the old browser software. The old MCU will of course never be as snappy as the new one but I think we'll see a much smaller delta than we currently review. We're comparing apples with oranges since it's different software for MCU1 and MCU2.

Maybe any of the hackers in here can elaborate further around this?

Take a look in this video. Here is the new MCU2, but with more detailed VECTOR MAPS, that we don't have in MCU1

If this is helpful to anybody, I just received word from my delivery advisor that my soon to be delivered model s does have the new MCU. Very relieved! Although I feel for the people that missed it by a few days.

Ordered 2/20
Confirmed 2/23
VIN 2/23 249XXX
In production 3/6-3/11
End of March delivery in Houston TX

75D, Pearl white, white interior, EAP
Unfortunately I had to decline delivery this morning for my P100D X, VIN 900xxx.
Production start date: 2/28
Production finish date: 3/13
Old MCU, and some pretty bad build quality problems that service offered to paint over. Welds on the bottom passenger frame were especially bad on both sides, and immediately visible.

View attachment 287033
WOW!!! how is that TERRIBLE quality WELD pass inspection!

GOOD FOR YOU to decline delivery. in Canada, a loaded MX P100D is $200K+ with no rebates available. the quality should be near PERFECT with this amount of vehicle cost. actually, I don't want to dismiss a base model x or s. as they are very expense vehicles and quality should be near perfect! a weld like that should NEVER make it to a showroom for delivery to a customer! unbelievable

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark and SummitX
converting outright purchase to a 3 year lease is an option for sure.....but 3 year lease is quite expensive when I looked at the initial numbers. I"m in toronto as well BTW.

my logic for spending so much on the vehicle on an outright purchase was the following
  • free supercharging for life of vehicle (lots of driving in the family, lots of roadtrips)
  • 14,000 EV rebate
  • and 8 year , unlimited mileage powertrain warranty
  • keep the vehicle minimum 8+ years to maximize the ROI on the purchase.
  • put 500K on the vehicle with minimal maintenance costs
  • obvious huge fuel savings
with a lease, I'm limited on number of KM's driven, 3 years with very high payments is not long enough to lower the TCO

I'm bummed, because as soooo many other members have voiced, the only real pain point I had in the car was the outdated MCU, I could deal with other updates that are probably coming eventually......but to have this very big update that will most likely be the basis for new features to be available via OTA updates to happen during my order, and I miss it by days, and I haven't even received the vehicle yet.....no go for me.

I'm venting. :) therapy
Another Toronto buyer here, picked up my custom model s a week ago missed the upgrade by 2 weeks. Bad news is yes, we got the old mcu (Which is still perfectly functional and is extremely smooth considering other vehicle alternatives) good news is we are still fortunate enough to own and enjoy the best vehicles on the planet!

• Love
Reactions: widodh
Another Toronto buyer here, picked up my custom model s a week ago missed the upgrade by 2 weeks. Bad news is yes, we got the old mcu (Which is still perfectly functional and is extremely smooth considering other vehicle alternatives) good news is we are still fortunate enough to own and enjoy the best vehicles on the planet!

Congrats on the purchase!

As I mentioned, everyone has a right to their own opinion on their purchase/experience. if someone is happy, great. if someone is not happy, person should work with Tesla to find a reasonable resolution.

I think too many people comment that the "complainers" should be silent and should just be happy etc. I say, everyone has their own right to have an opinion on spending their own money.

some compare the tech getting dated with examples of ipads and tv's. sorry, I don't see the logic, those pieces of equipment have an "average" lifespan of a few years. also, they are sub $1000 pieces of tech.

a tesla is 100K+++ (canadian dollars here) and the last time they upgraded the CPU was never, it is original from 2011. I'm not saying Tesla should offer free upgrades to all. they never committed to anything like that for the MCU......Elon made statements on the AP computer will be upgraded if the current AP 2.0 hardware does not support FSD, he will swap the ECU.

for this MCU debacle, make an UPGRADE for previous owners(people will pay, if I bought my vehicle 1+ months ago, I would pay a reasonable fee), and swap out MCU for cars undelivered to customers.

The software for the updated MCU already have new code for the browser, but the old MCU still got the old browser software.

I don't believe this is true. There are some assets (CSS files) that sort of mention different versions of Webkit, but I haven't seen any evidence that there is existing code for a new browser on the system. The browser in the current new MCU2 is the same old QtCarBrowser as before, it just runs faster. I would take a wild ass guess and say that the "new" browser (if/when released) isn't going to be Qt based.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
Here is hoping that when FSD comes out, the car WILL require the new MCU and Tesla ends up offering choices to update our cars.

The AP computer (AP2 or AP2.5) is entirely separate from the MCU.

If FSD needs a hardware update, they'd only be updating the AP computer (plug and play) and not the MCU (not plug and play) in older cars.

Congrats on the purchase!

As I mentioned, everyone has a right to their own opinion on their purchase/experience. if someone is happy, great. if someone is not happy, person should work with Tesla to find a reasonable resolution.

I think too many people comment that the "complainers" should be silent and should just be happy etc. I say, everyone has their own right to have an opinion on spending their own money.

some compare the tech getting dated with examples of ipads and tv's. sorry, I don't see the logic, those pieces of equipment have an "average" lifespan of a few years. also, they are sub $1000 pieces of tech.

a tesla is 100K+++ (canadian dollars here) and the last time they upgraded the CPU was never, it is original from 2011. I'm not saying Tesla should offer free upgrades to all. they never committed to anything like that for the MCU......Elon made statements on the AP computer will be upgraded if the current AP 2.0 hardware does not support FSD, he will swap the ECU.

for this MCU debacle, make an UPGRADE for previous owners(people will pay, if I bought my vehicle 1+ months ago, I would pay a reasonable fee), and swap out MCU for cars undelivered to customers.

Just curious - how much would you be willing to pay for a retrofit? Me personally, I think I’d be willing to spend $1500, maaaybe $2k at most. But even then, I’d need more than a zippier web browser to justify spending the cash.

I completely sympathize with those who are feeling gypped that their brand new car didn’t come with the latest and greatest. I certainly would. But until tesla can show what the new mcu will enable - I wouldn’t lose too much sleep over it.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Another data point:

Just got a phone call from my SC confirming delivery of my new Model S on 3/21...and...I've got the new MCU! VIN #2477XX, not sure of exact production dates but I think production was completed a week or so ago. Delivery to Dallas. I would have taken delivery even if I got the old MCU but I am really happy that I am getting the new one.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Just curious - how much would you be willing to pay for a retrofit? Me personally, I think I’d be willing to spend $1500, maaaybe $2k at most. But even then, I’d need more than a zippier web browser to justify spending the cash.

I completely sympathize with those who are feeling gypped that their brand new car didn’t come with the latest and greatest. I certainly would. But until tesla can show what the new mcu will enable - I wouldn’t lose too much sleep over it.

how much I would pay....good question.......as many others have speculated.....it depends on what the future holds.......if all the future NET new features they may release will be available to current MCU1 hardware, just slower, that's one thing to consider......

again, this is just theory as we don't have facts yet.....

what if development of net new features stop because hardware/chipset is too different and development of both hardware platforms is not worth it. AP1 and AP2, mobile eye vs tesla vison. at some point tesla may say we are going in "maintenance mode" for MCU1 vs new feature development for MCU2.

or....what if MCU1 just won't have the "horsepower" to power new features? dash cam? around view monitor, car play? android auto? what about the ability to open up more third party applications? I'm just thinking outloud here. everyone puts their own value on the giant 17" screen's feature set.

how much I would pay....good question.......as many others have speculated.....it depends on what the future holds.......if all the future NET new features they may release will be available to current MCU1 hardware, just slower, that's one thing to consider......

again, this is just theory as we don't have facts yet.....

what if development of net new features stop because hardware/chipset is too different and development of both hardware platforms is not worth it. AP1 and AP2, mobile eye vs tesla vison. at some point tesla may say we are going in "maintenance mode" for MCU1 vs new feature development for MCU2.

or....what if MCU1 just won't have the "horsepower" to power new features? dash cam? around view monitor, car play? android auto? what about the ability to open up more third party applications? I'm just thinking outloud here. everyone puts their own value on the giant 17" screen's feature set.

That’s the thing though - none of us knows what the future holds for this new mcu. Could enable something really great, or...nothing at all. Too many what ifs to get flustered about.

Also, and this is what boggles me - this mcu refresh was easily the lowest possible hanging fruit for Tesla to address. Like, someone had already picked it, washed it, and cut it into bite sized pieces for you. Everyone knew it was coming up on 7 years old, and dog-slow. And then the model 3 arrived and showed you exactly what was coming. If you’re here, on a Tesla enthusiast forum, and are somehow surprised and upset that you missed the mcu refresh...well, I don’t know what to tell you!

That’s the thing though - none of us knows what the future holds for this new mcu. Could enable something really great, or...nothing at all. Too many what ifs to get flustered about.

Also, and this is what boggles me - this mcu refresh was easily the lowest possible hanging fruit for Tesla to address. Like, someone had already picked it, washed it, and cut it into bite sized pieces for you. Everyone knew it was coming up on 7 years old, and dog-slow. And then the model 3 arrived and showed you exactly what was coming. If you’re here, on a Tesla enthusiast forum, and are somehow surprised and upset that you missed the mcu refresh...well, I don’t know what to tell you!

upset, yes, not for the reasons you may be hinting at. with your logic, whats the reason tesla took 7-8 months after the first Model 3 to upgrade the MCU on the model x or s. who knows, and we never get any warning, we all get that's tesla's way.

yes, I am an enthusiast of tesla. my gripe is simple, if you make a change in production, make it FAIR. not have "10" cars ordered the same day, and have 5 with upgrade and 5 without. we are all paying the same price for the vehicles but are receiving different cars because of tesla's way of doing production changes and overall manufacturing.

If it turns out the hardware, more than just the ECU of AP2 or even AP2.5 cars is not capable of FSD, does Elon's commitment extend to things like the radar, maybe additional radars on the rear, additional cameras and yes even LIDAR or is it just the ECU and if that doesn't cut it well tough?

Oh, interesting. So the new S/X MCU shares the “build root” kernel that the Model 3 uses?

If true, then these new MCUs should be much more difficult to root (given the new security artitecture Tesla is already using in the Model 3).
Yes. Though due to some cost cutting measures, they have exposed a couple of new surfaces, but I imagine those would be pentested and closed relatively fast. So... The window is small ;)

Update on my situation: I talked to my OA. I am refusing delivery on my old MCU MX and ordering a new one. He said he can transfer my deposit to the new order, no problem. No extra deposit needed.

He was very accommodating. He seemed to be surprised that I was willing to go through the "hassle" and potentially lose out on the tax credit and financing rates, but perfectly willing to make the change for me. The way I see it, all I'm giving up is 3 months of not having the car. There's only a miniscule risk of losing half the tax credit, and potentially slightly higher financing rates. I still get free supercharging, and actually an extra $500 credit towards service which wasn't in place when I originally ordered on 1/20.

Ok guys.. just to counter balance this a bit...
Is this new MCU really that kind of crazy big improvement in reality? I mean, if you consider that the browser is never used, then the other improvements are not that massive? When Vector maps is released to the old MCU, the maps will be much improved in speed and more than acceptable.
Really looking forward to see what improvements we can see from a software perspective for the old MCU the coming months.

To me, it makes the centerpiece of the car feel more modern and slick, and it also future proofs the car. I can see a scenario where the longer we have MCU2, the more sluggish MCU1 gets as things become slowly more optimized for MCU2s power. Further, if I have the car 10 years, with MCU1, it would be 7 years older than the 2018 car. MCU2 will age with the car.

Plus $14000 Ontario rebate which was eliminated on Tesla's

@mebwp So let's say that Tesla told you that if you waited to place your order until after 3/1/18 that you would have gotten the upgraded MCU at no additional cost. But what you didn't know was that you would lose the $14,000 Ontario rebate. Would you be pissed at Tesla because they induced you to delay your order causing you to lose $14,000? All for a faster MCU? (That may or may not get more features than the older MCUs.)