Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X deliveries with Intel-based MCU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For a depreciation value, how much would you place on model S with or without mcu2 in five years
$1. Most people will not remember or know the difference between MCU/MCU2 in the second/third/fourth hand market. Maybe for some people who really care (and know about Tesla really well) will look for one with MCU2, which makes MCU2 probably more desirable, but there's no monetary value for it. If you sell the car to Carmax etc. it's going to be $0 difference as they can't even differentiate between the two.

I'm checking with @DÆrik . He filmed a video of a new Model S delivery on Wednesday and the car had 2018.6.50. Later, he said "He already got an update to 2018.10.1" and I thought he was referring to the Model S that he had just recorded the video on. It is possible he was referring to a different "he". :confused:

I just signed for my MS on Thursday and have firmware 2018.10.1 per my phone app. I actually don’t have the car as it’s getting a clear bra so I haven’t been able to know if I have the updated MCU or not but I’m sure hoping for it!

I think many in here draw conclusions way too early about the Tegra 3 capabilities. We should wait for the new updated navigation with vecor maps. Also it has been a lot of talk about the browser upgrade. The new kernel that we got last summer was the first step and then all the software running on it needs to be rewritten. We'll probably see that for the old MCU browser in due course and old MCU will get a much better browser experience.

People who tell that that Tesla won't invest further in MCU1 is just wrong. This transition to the MCU2 is done "in the dark" by Tesla and is an update that is not reflected in option codes nor announced to the public. No people outside of enthusiasts will ever know about this switch in hardware.

It's just like the hardware change of front radar in AP2.0 -> AP2.5. Tesla changed from Bosch to Continental in a silent way. Specs for the Continental radar are much improved... Would you render the Bosch hardware obsolete just because they replaced it? There are more reasons for this move from Tegra 3 -> Intel than pure performance. The performance gains are there, but they will in the long run not be as noticeable when software is updated for MCU1.

There is not a chance in the world that Tesla will start to push out unique features to MCU2 within the next 3-5 years. The only difference will be a bit faster processing in MCU2, but the exact same UI will be there for both platforms. Next time we will see a change in UI and deviations is in Next Generation Model X/S, not before that. And by then there will be a different form factor for the screen.

I received an email from my DA confirming that I do have the MCU2. I sure hope he’s right as I’ve read many others on this same thread that have been told things from their DA that doesn’t pan out to be true. I won’t know for sure for another couple of days when I actually have my car in my possession. Since I have no idea on production dates of my car I did email my DA to see if he could get me that info and if he gets back to me I’ll post it here. I can give this info though

Order Date: 2/1/18
VIN 246xxx
Signed for the car 3/15/18
MS 75D EAP

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Being one who is getting the old MCU, the whole experience of being 1-2 days late just leaves a sour taste about the whole thing.

Yes, I originally bought it knowing it had the old MCU. But being this close is so painful (first world problem, I know).

But I’m now buying a car with outdated hardware. At least with iPhones and most ICE, you know when the updates are.

Being out of the blue is just a slap in the face.

I know I wouldn’t be saying this if I was on the other side of the line. But f-me, this SUCKS.

I don't understand this at all, a new version being out does not make the old version worse. It is not logical to enjoy your car less because you know there is a faster MCU out, especially since multiple people now confirmed that the latest software update made their old MCU more fluid and navigation faster. You should actually be happy since the car getting delivered is better than the car you ordered so you are getting more than you expected for your money.

I am getting my car in 2-3 weeks and it for sure has the old MCU as it was produced somewhere around January.

EDIT: Also some people seem to think that just because they moved over to the x64 platform that any optimization for the old MCU will not happen due to it being costly. That is not necessarily true as much of their code will most likely be the same code still. I do not know exactly what they changed but I imagine they have smart developers and have been planning for this move for a while.

If anything the latest update that made the old MCU better being released on the same day as the new MCU started being known would tell us that they are trying to narrow the gap.

Last edited:
I received an email from my DA confirming that I do have the MCU2. I sure hope he’s right as I’ve read many others on this same thread that have been told things from their DA that doesn’t pan out to be true. I won’t know for sure for another couple of days when I actually have my car in my possession. Since I have no idea on production dates of my car I did email my DA to see if he could get me that info and if he gets back to me I’ll post it here. I can give this info though

Order Date: 2/1/18
VIN 246xxx
Signed for the car 3/15/18
MS 75D EAP

You’re getting all the hardware updates: additional Bluetooth antennae, vanity lights, and MCU2. I ordered in Jan and got a 2467xx VIN. My DS assured me it has them. Build began 3/12.

I don't understand this at all, a new version being out does not make the old version worse.

An an iPhone 4S user until late 2014 (a mere 3 years of use) until I felt compelled to upgrade to an iPhone 6, I can say this is bollocks.

I'll stress it is not deliberate or otherwise *planned obsolescence* - but more a case of "we're not going to go through all the effort to deliver a user-experience that is as-good compared to our newer devices". It's no conspiracy theory: there's a reason you can't find new software today that still runs on Windows 98, even though Microsoft Visual Studio can still build software for it (seriously).

Reactions: viper2ko
An an iPhone 4S user until late 2014 (a mere 3 years of use) until I felt compelled to upgrade to an iPhone 6, I can say this is bollocks.

I'll stress it is not deliberate or otherwise *planned obsolescence* - but more a case of "we're not going to go through all the effort to deliver a user-experience that is as-good compared to our newer devices". It's no conspiracy theory: there's a reason you can't find new software today that still runs on Windows 98, even though Microsoft Visual Studio can still build software for it (seriously).

I don't see what point you are making? Did your iPhone 4S slow down the instant the 5 was released? No it didn't. Will software move forward and eventually leave old hardware sitting there getting only security updates? Yes. Will that point be so far in the future that most new owners today will have sold their car already? Yes.

Same goes for your iPhone 4S, it got the latest iOS updates for almost 3 years or so which is way longer than the normal ownership of a phone. Tech companies really try to not piss their customers off and thus give updates to older hardware for the period of time most owners will have their product.

• Disagree
Reactions: evster and viper2ko
Can someone running software 2018.10.4 load Dærik's inventory page (running with the old MCU)?

https://www.teslainventory.com

According to Dærik the car with new MCU can load this page... So if someone is running on the lates 2018.10.4 and old MCU can open this page we can assume the browsers on new MCU and old MCU are the same....
For those on 2018.6.1 the page will not load. The car Dærik tested were running 2018.6.50...

That's simply not how it works. If you refuse delivery then you can kiss your deposit goodbye. You got the car you ordered and Tesla makes constant changes, what else are you going to refuse delivery for?

Jeff

The thing is that my car was supposed to be delivered in January, but Tesla was not able to. So I have been waiting almost 3 months longer then what was said when the car was ordered. And now, when I finally is about to get the car, it is "outdated". If I had ordered in des/jan and got delivery according to plan now in march, I would not have cancelled the order. My order was placed in October, with January delivery... according to the sales rep...
If Tesla allows me to transfer my deposit to a new order with delivery in June, I would accept, and if updates comes in between then and I do get my car in June, I would not complain. Hope this gave a better understanding of my situation. You might not agree, but thats ok :) But it seems like the sales rep does not accept me transferring my deposit to a new order, unfortunately, even though I have seen here that others have been able too.

No, it's a tire option like I said right above your post

So what new tire option has TIM3 introduced? It is a new option code that has been added recently. I configured a Model S 100D 1 month ago with zero extra equipment and this TIM3 code was not present which it is now.... Both configured cars had 19" standard wheels, configured for EU-delivery.

TIMx = Tire Michelin
TIGx = Tire Good Year

?

Something

Don't you lose the rebate just the same when leasing vs. buying? In the US they simply add the rebate to the residual value, so it's higher, therefore lowering you payment, but if you want to buy it at the end the price is however many thousands (in your case $14K) than wholesale.

I don’t loose the rebate. As long as you order before the change Mar 9/18 and take delivery before sep, you are allowed to claim the rebate. Rebate also applies to lease. In the old program, it was a tiered based on 1/2/3 years so went with 3 which allows for 14k. New program only allows 3 years. Also Tesla stays out of the rebate program here. It’s up to individuals to apply. 2-3 month to wait for a cheque.

• Informative
Reactions: whitex
Can someone running software 2018.10.4 try to load Dærik's inventory page in the cars browser (running with the old MCU)?

According to Dæriks video the car with new MCU can load this page... So if someone is running on the lates 2018.10.4 and old MCU can open this page we can assume the browsers on new MCU and old MCU are the same....
For those on 2018.6.1 the page will not load. The car Dærik tested were running 2018.6.50...

I don't see what point you are making? Did your iPhone 4S slow down the instant the 5 was released? No it didn't. Will software move forward and eventually leave old hardware sitting there getting only security updates? Yes. Will that point be so far in the future that most new owners today will have sold their car already? Yes.

Same goes for your iPhone 4S, it got the latest iOS updates for almost 3 years or so which is way longer than the normal ownership of a phone. Tech companies really try to not piss their customers off and thus give updates to older hardware for the period of time most owners will have their product.

Did it slow down when the new MCU was released? No, it was already slow. It was already outdated technology by 7 years.

If they came out with a P120D tomorrow your point would be valid. I would still enjoy my car's performance regardless of the latest and greatest. However the MCU sucked before they came out with the new one and I bought my car DESPITE it being old and terrible. Tesla decided to release a new one with no notice and then to make it worse, also not make it available to current cars.
I think many in here draw conclusions way too early about the Tegra 3 capabilities. We should wait for the new updated navigation with vecor maps. Also it has been a lot of talk about the browser upgrade. The new kernel that we got last summer was the first step and then all the software running on it needs to be rewritten. We'll probably see that for the old MCU browser in due course and old MCU will get a much better browser experience.

I hope you are right but I just don't see that being the case. For starters there already is feature differences between the two MCUs. The new MCU already has vector maps. Now maybe Tegra ones are released tomorrow, or maybe it's a month or 6 months. But today they are already unequal. Not to mention the new antennas that came with the new MCU, to enable phone as a key.

I hope to death you are correct but I just don't see it.

Did it slow down when the new MCU was released? No, it was already slow. It was already outdated technology by 7 years.

If they came out with a P120D tomorrow your point would be valid. I would still enjoy my car's performance regardless of the latest and greatest. However the MCU sucked before they came out with the new one and I bought my car DESPITE it being old and terrible. Tesla decided to release a new one with no notice and then to make it worse, also not make it available to current cars.

I think we are completely different in what we consider terrible then. If I would consider the screen in the car terrible at its current state with a 1 ish second delay to fully load navigation after zooming out I would be completely broke and couldn't afford the Tesla to begin with. That means I would have to spend tens of thousands every year on computer equipment to eget rid of any delays there since I spend so much time in front of the computer for work and in my free time. The needed SSD raid setup alone would cost around 10k.

Then again maybe im not the tech junkie I think I am, I mean my phone is 14 months old at this point and I wont switch for another 6 and my Apple Watch is still a gen 2.

• Disagree
Reactions: evster and viper2ko