Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X deliveries with Intel-based MCU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I picked up my Model S P100D, VIN 2476xx, manufactured week of March 5th. Went to whatsmyua.info ans got CPU undefined. I asked the DS if we could go in some of the Model S and Xs with March 12th build dates so we could run the same command and all were CPU undefined. DS felt I DID have mcu2. Not sure what to believe. One other note, double scroll wheel hard reboot worked which leads me to believe that it is the old MCU. Thoughts?

Also, all the displays seemed snappy. Especially on WiFi.

Today I visited a Tesla showroom, and sat in a brand new Model X, opened the browser, went to 'What's my UA' site, and can confirm that the 'cpu' was listed as 'undefined'.

However, then visited http://teslamcu.xyz and confirmed NEW MCU. Even prior to that it was quite clear that the performance was the new Intel MCU. The browser is quite responsive, as well as Nav zooming, etc.

In summary, 'cpu: undefined' does not mean MCU1. Use the handy http://teslamcu.xyz site that our good friend here on TMC created.

If one isn't willing to offer a retrofit, the next best thing is to pre-announce that a new MCU is coming at a higher price, and give customers the option to choose the newer configuration, or the older configuration, for x number of days (let's say 90). Since the new config. is at a higher price, resale value is maintained, at least temporarily. After those 90 days, all cars default to the newer configuration, and the price possibly drops, or possibly stays the same, depending on how customers reacted to the new option. I believe Tesla has launched new battery pack options this way at least once before.

For whatever reason (weak demand, or a product management miscalculation) that was not done here, even though there is clear value add with the new MCU, and some people are willing to pay a premium for it. It's not too late for Tesla to change their policy, but I doubt they will.

So I picked up my Model S P100D, VIN 2476xx, manufactured week of March 5th. Went to whatsmyua.info ans got CPU undefined. I asked the DS if we could go in some of the Model S and Xs with March 12th build dates so we could run the same command and all were CPU undefined. DS felt I DID have mcu2. Not sure what to believe. One other note, double scroll wheel hard reboot worked which leads me to believe that it is the old MCU. Thoughts?

Also, all the displays seemed snappy. Especially on WiFi.
So we have a contradiction:

both “CPU undefined”
& 1018.10.1

Is “CPU undefined” no longer the indicator of an older MCU?

Are you really surprised Mobile Eye didn't let them do it? Elon was going to be the first to perpetrate a mass scale AI based IP heist.

Audi is using a mix of Nvidia and Mobileye (and others) in their zFas computer running the new L3 Audi A8:
Screen-Shot-2017-09-11-at-4.25.50-PM-1280x716.jpg
I would guess Audi and Mobileye saw eye to eye with their slow/conservative approach in contrast to Teslas aggressive/agile approach (more here).

Today I visited a Tesla showroom, and sat in a brand new Model X, opened the browser, went to 'What's my UA' site, and can confirm that the 'cpu' was listed as 'undefined'.

However, then visited http://teslamcu.xyz and confirmed NEW MCU. Even prior to that it was quite clear that the performance was the new Intel MCU. The browser is quite responsive, as well as Nav zooming, etc.

In summary, 'cpu: undefined' does not mean MCU1. Use the handy http://teslamcu.xyz site that our good friend here on TMC created.
I can’t tell you how much that eases my mind.
My MS 100D production: 3/9-3/15
DS confirmed new MCU to OA yesterday.
These posts were causing anxiety all over again.

Audi is using a mix of Nvidia and Mobileye (and others) in their zFas computer running the new L3 Audi A8:
View attachment 287544
I would guess Audi and Mobileye saw eye to eye with their slow/conservative approach in contrast to Teslas aggressive/agile approach (more here).
The Tegra in that picture is not the AI/neural network generation, so it doesn't compete with MobileEye.

• Informative
Reactions: DIL
Exactly. I did that to both our Model S trunks (no colors, just white). For interior, I'd start with brighter light bulbs first (in the trunk I wanted light from the top, not the floor, so mounted LED's under the shelf holders).

Abstract Ocean’s LEDs should be stock until they do a full color LED upgrade. The single easiest, best bang for the buck upgrade.

Abstract Ocean’s LEDs should be stock until they do a full color LED upgrade. The single easiest, best bang for the buck upgrade.
For the trunk the "best bang for the buck" for me was a simple homemade lighting (costed me less than $10, could have been $4 if I wanted to wait a few weeks to ship it from China, details with photo at Trunk Lighting Upgrade).

• Informative
Reactions: MarkS22
The sticker on the door says 3/18 I had the DS look up the actual build date in Salesforce (yes tesla uses Salesforce). And it started the build on 3/5. That also matched what I got on the website. I live in AZ do a west coast build. Like I said, we went into 3 other cars with a 249xxx vin and 3/12 build date an all had the same thing on whatsmyua.info
Yea you probably do have the new MCU. Just go to the other site on jsfiddle as mentioned.

Everyone who’s had MCU1 has build dates before 2/28.

Use the handy http://teslamcu.xyz site that our good friend here on TMC created.

I need to make some changes to the page because it incorrectly has an empty value for `Navigator.platform` for the 2018 MCU (because I didn't know what it was). It doesn't affect the functionality of the page, but I don't like being entirely incorrect :)

Unfortunately JSFiddles can't be changed once published if you link to a specific revision. I made the JSFiddle page, but I don't own or control the `teslamcu.xyz` domain name. Do we know who controls it?

As it stands right now, the following two firmware versions are confirmed to be MCU2.

Anything else is MCU1.

(subject to change).

V8.1 (2018.10.2 74fad9a)

@rjyoungmd has confirmed MCU2 in his MX delivered on Friday. Received a software update, presumably related to the problem with the instrument cluster going blank. So now we can add 2018.10.2 to the MCU2 list.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
I need to make some changes to the page because it incorrectly has an empty value for `Navigator.platform` for the 2018 MCU (because I didn't know what it was). It doesn't affect the functionality of the page, but I don't like being entirely incorrect :)

Unfortunately JSFiddles can't be changed once published if you link to a specific revision. I made the JSFiddle page, but I don't own or control the `teslamcu.xyz` domain name. Do we know who controls it?

@Tony_YYZ does.

See Post: Model S/X deliveries with Intel-based MCU