Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X minor refresh coming soon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt there'll be a retrofit for the camera. And if there is, it'll only be HW4 cars. But I don't think we'll see it on any Teslas except maybe the cybertruck any time soon. I don't particularly care much about the rgb lighting either, but I'd probably pay for a cheap retrofit.

Honestly, I wish they'd just bring back ultrasonics. I'd pay an extra $5k for those.
I believe since 22 all S/X have HW4's. I just picked up my X and know we have HW4. Crossing figners.

I doubt there'll be a retrofit for the camera. And if there is, it'll only be HW4 cars. But I don't think we'll see it on any Teslas except maybe the cybertruck any time soon. I don't particularly care much about the rgb lighting either, but I'd probably pay for a cheap retrofit.

Honestly, I wish they'd just bring back ultrasonics. I'd pay an extra $5k for those.
YES!! Bring back USS. I’m about to trade in the MY for the X and I’m not happy about having to acclimate to the limitations of a Vision only system.

Reactions: msm859 and StevenSD
Personally, I don't care for the lighting. What I do care is the that front bumper camera, I hope it'll be a retro fit option soon.
How would there be a retrofit when there isn't even an option on newer cars?

The only confirmation on a vehicle getting a front bumper camera is the CT. Not the Highland and less for the Model S/X.

I would like one as well, but if Tesla ever did decide to push it to more vehicles, HW3 couldn't accommodate it.

How would there be a retrofit when there isn't even an option on newer cars?

The only confirmation on a vehicle getting a front bumper camera is the CT. Not the Highland and less for the Model S/X.

I would like one as well, but if Tesla ever did decide to push it to more vehicles, HW3 couldn't accommodate it.
Based on the pictures, that front area is still the same, just that shroud under hood can easily swapped out, I do believe on the HW4 ecu has additional camera slots. After the hardware is added, it's just a software update. I don't see it being an issue if my theory is correct.

That's true for a lot of Tesla updates in theory, but it's very rare that they'll actually let you retrofit anything.

Hell, theoretically that exact statement applies to ultrasonics too for newer cars. But as best as I can tell no one has even attempted retrofitting them.
Tesla offers retrofits for MCU upgrades, powered liftgates, CCS charging, yoke steering wheel replacements, and other things I'm sure I've missed. In those cases, the retrofits are guaranteed upgrades. With the ultrasonic sensors, they're working on replacing/improving it with the cameras therefore there isn't as much incentive to retrofit.

Reactions: gsxdsm

By eliminating them, it only saved Tesla like 146 bucks per car.

Reactions: msm859
Based on the pictures, that front area is still the same, just that shroud under hood can easily swapped out, I do believe on the HW4 ecu has additional camera slots. After the hardware is added, it's just a software update. I don't see it being an issue if my theory is correct.
Again, there is no front bumper camera for the S/X, therefore there can't be a retrofit.

Reactions: StevenSD
What kind of vibration are you experiencing NeuroRad? When does it happen. I'm experiencing it too...2023 MSP led than 1k miles.
Do a quick search, you’ll find a mega thread on it. In short there are Multiple different vibrations including one which was new on 22 and newer models. There’s a software update coming soon which is supposed to address the vibration in some manner

Reactions: WilliamG
Again, there is no front bumper camera for the S/X, therefore there can't be a retrofit.
If the port is there in the HW4 and the wiring harness either isn't extensive (in effort or cost) to place or maybe is already there in cars coming off the line now waiting for parts, it might be possible. But Tesla doesn't have a great track record of offering things like this.

Are you saying there will never be a front camera or you believe there won't be a retro fit once the camera becomes available next year?
I have not doubt it's coming next year. You can even see it on Tesla's website. Latest rendering on the site shows a camera.
It's coming whether you believe it or not.

I can only hope based on the info about HW4 computers for the updated S/X a retro is coming. Plenty of videos out there showing the ecu have additional ports for additional camera. Where the placement of the camera is in the nose right to the T badge. That would be an easy add-on or change that shroud for the camera.

The Model 3 at one point did not have power trunks. There's a retro for it now.

Are you saying there will never be a front camera or you believe there won't be a retro fit once the camera becomes available next year?
I have not doubt it's coming next year. You can even see it on Tesla's website. Latest rendering on the site shows a camera.
It's coming whether you believe it or not.

I can only hope based on the info about HW4 computers for the updated S/X a retro is coming. Plenty of videos out there showing the ecu have additional ports for additional camera. Where the placement of the camera is in the nose right to the T badge. That would be an easy add-on or change that shroud for the camera.

The Model 3 at one point did not have power trunks. There's a retro for it now.
I'm saying there's no reason to believe a front bumper camera is coming, but if there ever was one, there would not be a retrofit for HW3 or earlier as there isn't enough camera inputs to add an additional camera.

There are no renderings that show a camera that anyone has posted...people are trying so hard they are making a shadow or bump into a camera.

Reactions: cwanja and ucmndd