Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X minor refresh coming soon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those sneaky aftermarket folks even managed to market it on the Tesla web page -

I stand corrected. Technology always moving, never stagnant.
Screenshot_20231122_091443_Tesla.jpg

Reactions: dsm363
As long as Tesla doesn't lose sales and money doing things like this, I think it's a great way for service centers to make extra revenue. If the hardware is basically there and adding the wiring doesn't require disassembling the entire front of the vehicle, I'd think some people would be willing to pay a few thousand dollars on a 2023 Model S to add the front bumper camera.

I doubt Tesla will add a front camera retrofit. The trunk is the first retrofit they have offered in quite some time. Initially it was for all models, then they reduced the cars it would fit. $800 for $50-$75 in parts and no major disassembly is a win for Tesla on the trunk.

I doubt Tesla will add a front camera retrofit. The trunk is the first retrofit they have offered in quite some time. Initially it was for all models, then they reduced the cars it would fit. $800 for $50-$75 in parts and no major disassembly is a win for Tesla on the trunk.
I assume it'd ba $1,000 or so in parts but if the HW4 chip has a slot for the camera, you think it'd be extensive labor to add it? I don't know what's involved in running the wiring needed.

Precisely.

People have been squinting real hard and wishing every shadow into a camera for well over a year now.
Cybertruck has shown a front camera view on the UI

The highland Model 3 had that camera looking thing photoshopped out in subsequent images

Why would they add an additional camera input on HW4 if it wasn't meant to be used in the near future?

Cybertruck has shown a front camera view on the UI

The highland Model 3 had that camera looking thing photoshopped out in subsequent images

Why would they add an additional camera input on HW4 if it wasn't meant to be used in the near future?
There are many additional camera inputs on S/X HW4 as many have postulated, the same HW4 is used on the CT and Semi which both do have additional cameras. Simply because there are additional inputs doesn't mean they will add cameras.

I'm saying there's no reason to believe a front bumper camera is coming, but if there ever was one, there would not be a retrofit for HW3 or earlier as there isn't enough camera inputs to add an additional camera.

There are no renderings that show a camera that anyone has posted...people are trying so hard they are making a shadow or bump into a camera.

You’re seeing what you want to see.

Precisely.

People have been squinting real hard and wishing every shadow into a camera for well over a year now.

Found this of an engineer carrying the new front camera near Freemont. So you are all wrong...

1700678837833.png

There are many additional camera inputs on S/X HW4 as many have postulated, the same HW4 is used on the CT and Semi which both do have additional cameras. Simply because there are additional inputs doesn't mean they will add cameras.
My hope is it's not impossible to do later. Like adding autopilot to a 2012 Model S would mean gutting the car and costing more than just buying a new car. If it's something where the service center can order the new bumper, run some wire and plug in for $3,000 let's say, some might do it. Assuming extensive labor isn't needed.

Better question: why would they NOT add the camera from the get-go if they indented to in the near future? The wire and camera itself are surely the least expensive and complex component of the entire system.
Yes. If that’s the only missing piece, it seems silly. Maybe $150 for camera and wiring. Cheaper than a price drop if it sells more cars.

Better question: why would they NOT add the camera from the get-go if they indented to in the near future? The wire and camera itself are surely the least expensive and complex component of the entire system.
At the very least, you would hope they would run the wires to make a paid upgrade later very easy for the service center.

I'll take gander at that. Second tenant of Musk's algorithm from Isaacson's book is:

1. Delete any part or process you can. You may have to add them back later. In fact, if you do not end up adding back at least 10% of them, then you didn't delete enough.
So stuff would be removed but engineers sometime manage to convince him to leave backup plan in place, thus more camera port on HW4. Just my speculation, but if that Isaacson's biography is any true this is very likely scenario.