Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X Owners Have Priority Model 3 Orders Over Non-Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I plan to place my $1000 in store on the 31st. Will I be asked then if I want a highly optioned car or do they just need my cc digits? I'm assuming I could change my mind later if I was?

Previous S/X pre-reservers: did paying cash vs cc matter for your reservation place?

I predict that you can become a Model S owner on 3/31/16 with purchase of an Inventory Model S that day followed by being bumped up in the Model 3 order rank. I also am guessing that special discounts will be available on 3/31 for inventory S for those who place orders for a 3 the same day (which in-turn bumps you up the Model 3 line).

The reveal is 3/31 in the evening so basically what people are doing in-store during the day of 3/31 is putting a deposit down for a car that is not yet revealed. It's refundable, of course, so there is no risk.

As an aspiring Tesla Model 3 owner, I feel fine with prioritization for current Tesla owners. Three reasons:
1.) Without them, there would be no Model 3. So thanks!
2.) I find it highly doubtful that every Tesla owner will be purchasing a Model 3 (let alone multiple). Sure, there will be some, but we are still talking cars starting at $35k.
3.) They will still probably ship the cars out by order of options, then region. So, I would imagine a current Tesla owner in Canada wouldn't probably get preference over a reservation in the US for the same high-end Model 3 that's within close reach of the factory.

Just my two cents.

Rich people are playing "Pokemon" with Teslas....gotta catch 'em all.

So for every rich person that buys one to "throw on the pile", that's one less working person that gets the tax credit.

I'm disappointed in their approach on this. Just another case of the rich getting richer/staying rich.

Actually, all due respect to those posters above who say they understand Tesla's decision I must say I don't at all. And since I feel this is a F you to the people who can't afford an S or X I feel like saying well F you Tesla Motors.

Yes I'm being blunt.

Potential 3 owners aren't the same as S owners. We can't afford either an S or an X. We probably haven't even bought a $50,000 car before - yes it's $50K in Australia because we have no EV incentives. But speaking for me I would stretch to a $50K model 3 to support Tesla and get the best, longest range EV.

I was going to camp out on the 31st, even though by the timings it looks pointless as in Australia the store closes at 9pm which makes it 5am or something PST. So I'm assuming that means it's the 31st for USA (the centre of the universe) and and the 1st for the online orders even though half the World has been on the 31st and first for a full half day already by the time it reaches that point in PST. Global as per Elon's tweet means USA global I guess.

Since I'm ranting....so the mass market version of the car which is supposed to make it more accessible is now being made available to current owners first, potentially 50,000, 60,000, 100,000 by the time it's starting production, it could be a very long time before non-tesla owners get one. Took 3 years to get a Model S down under, the X is 4 years to build, shipping a couple of hundred a week and doesn't look like landing down under until early 2017.

So on that sort of estimate I'm thinking early 2018 for reasonable numbers to start coming off the production line, USA orders first, Tesla owners orders first and then trickle down to Oz. I'm looking at a car in 2019. Forget it. There'll be other manufacturer options by then. Nissan has a bigger battery leaf now and in 2-3 more years might have a 300km range one. Merc, BMW etc aren't going to sit on their hands.

I consider myself a Tesla fan, still take photos on my phone every time I see one, have refused to test drive one as I know if I do I will sign on the dotted line even though I can't afford one (I've sat in many different S's on display and at car shows but I'm scared to turn it on). I like the Company, the mission etc. But am I prepared to give Tesla an interest free loan for 3 years and queue up to give them publicity when I know many 10's of thousands of people are getting priority over my order just because they're able to afford an expensive car?! There's the have's and the have not's and the haves keep having.

So I think I'm going to keep my grand and in two more years some depreciated Model S's will hit the second hand market and be more affordable and that'll be the car to buy. Then when we hit 2018 and know how Tesla is tracking to deliver 3's I can always order and wait a few months for delivery but it won't matter as much if I'm driving an S.

It doesn't really bother me, but when it changes my math of getting an M3 in 2 years to more like 2.5 to 3 years, it's enough to change my mind about putting a reservation down on the 31st. I'm not willing to wait that long to replace my current car. I'll find something to lease this coming fall/winter and see about getting an M3 when that's nearing expiration.

What this means to me is... Existing owners don't have as much incentive to extend the lines at Tesla Stores. Tesla is reducing the in-store-ordering burden.

I still expect many existing owners will be at stores for the occasion even if they are not reserving a Model 3, just to make it more enjoyable for us who are new, and for the media attention.

Agreed, this does seem to go against the idea of a mass market car for everyone. However, I'm not super concerned that this factor will delay me significantly.

depending on option packages/trim levels, I plan on coming very close to checking every box. being in New England means that I also have to get the Cold Weather package...so that could work in my favor if, say, a current owner in CA or FL decides not to check that box.

We'll see.

Since everyone has been thinking that we'd only see sketches, or maybe a rough prototype, and now it looks like we may be seeing a full-scale prototype on the 31st....I wonder how far ahead/behind schedule they are. Maybe THAT is the big reveal: it will be out sooner than we think.

The stock is up this week because analysts visited the factory and deemed TSLA "ready" to make the Model 3....so why not?

depending on option packages/trim levels, I plan on coming very close to checking every box. being in New England means that I also have to get the Cold Weather package...so that could work in my favor if, say, a current owner in CA or FL decides not to check that box.

We'll see.

Since everyone has been thinking that we'd only see sketches, or maybe a rough prototype, and now it looks like we may be seeing a full-scale prototype on the 31st....I wonder how far ahead/behind schedule they are. Maybe THAT is the big reveal: it will be out sooner than we think.

The stock is up this week because analysts visited the factory and deemed TSLA "ready" to make the Model 3....so why not?

Elon did add the caveat that to achieve production they need a fully operating giga factory though. That's a pretty big get out of jail free card for missing the scedule.

I feel that this is a not a good move. People have been waiting for an affordable Tesla and for people who already have taken advantage of the tax credit will get it again. I understand employees getting a jump in line, but the "well off" that will be bumped ahead...gezz! I am not against success at all, but the new car is "affordable" for working people like me. No cuts/bumps! The people that wait in line day one should be after the employees. The people the reserve on April 1st on line should come after current owners. That's fair and responsible. The working class taking off from work to reserve should not be left out in the cold.

I plan to place my $1000 in store on the 31st. Will I be asked then if I want a highly optioned car or do they just need my cc digits? I'm assuming I could change my mind later if I was?

Previous S/X pre-reservers: did paying cash vs cc matter for your reservation place?
Cash or credit card does not matter.

They will only take your money on the 31st and you will get a reservation number. Then at some point they will invite you to configure (based on their "line" of who was an owner or not, and other factors that make it impossible for us to comprehend lol.) Then, after you configure you go into a queue based on your option choices. Then you get a notification that you have gone into production.

So for every rich person that buys one to "throw on the pile", that's one less working person that gets the tax credit.

I've been seeing a lot of responses to this saying "Well, EM specifically quotes the $35k price without the tax incentives for this very reason, so you shouldn't expect to get the credit". As if we're supposed to pretend like the credit doesn't exist and that the decision Tesla made won't potentially affect whether a significant portion of non-owners get access to said credit? Sorry, that line of thinking just ticks me off even more. Extreme analogy, but it's like having a winning lottery ticket and someone takes it away and someone telling you "well, you only have a 1 in a million chance of winning the lottery, so you shouldn't expect to have won it anyways." So you're supposed to ignore the fact that you had the winning lottery ticket in your hand? (I know we weren't guaranteed to get the tax credit, but the analogy still stands)

I've been seeing a lot of responses to this saying "Well, EM specifically quotes the $35k price without the tax incentives for this very reason, so you shouldn't expect to get the credit". As if we're supposed to pretend like the credit doesn't exist and that the decision Tesla made won't potentially affect whether a significant portion of non-owners get access to said credit? Sorry, that line of thinking just ticks me off even more. Extreme analogy, but it's like having a winning lottery ticket and someone takes it away and someone telling you "well, you only have a 1 in a million chance of winning the lottery, so you shouldn't expect to have won it anyways." So you're supposed to ignore the fact that you had the winning lottery ticket in your hand? (I know we weren't guaranteed to get the tax credit, but the analogy still stands)

Exactly, WE...as in the working stiffs...are being told not to factor in the tax credit, because with this move, EM has just bumped a few thousand more of us out of getting it.

Cash or credit card does not matter.

They will only take your money on the 31st and you will get a reservation number. Then at some point they will invite you to configure (based on their "line" of who was an owner or not, and other factors that make it impossible for us to comprehend lol.) Then, after you configure you go into a queue based on your option choices. Then you get a notification that you have gone into production.

thank you, looking forward to deciphering the arcane formula for my spot in line

The 500k production wasn't estimated before 2020.

That said, Elon said during the earnings report call that people should not be concerned that the gigafactory would delay the M3 launch. (Not the same thing, I know.) but analysts have said that the gigafactory is actually ahead of schedule - so that's a good thing.

The 500k production wasn't estimated before 2020.

That said, Elon said during the earnings report call that people should not be concerned that the gigafactory would delay the M3 launch. (Not the same thing, I know.) but analysts have said that the gigafactory is actually ahead of schedule - so that's a good thing.

Right, I think that, combined with the recent analysis of the production facilities, as well as the fact that we're seeing an actual concept vehicle, rather than just sketches, shows that we're at least on schedule, if not slightly (maybe 2-3 months, so mid to late Summer 2017?) ahead.

Right, I think that, combined with the recent analysis of the production facilities, as well as the fact that we're seeing an actual concept vehicle, rather than just sketches, shows that we're at least on schedule, if not slightly (maybe 2-3 months, so mid to late Summer 2017?) ahead.

Tesla has learned lessons from past launches. Wouldn't it be great if one of them was to under promise and over deliver? :D

just wow.....

Tesla doesn't owe you an "affordable" EV.

No one said it was owed to anyone. But when someone tosses out a phrase like "mass market" or "EV for the masses", there are reasonable assumptions to be made, such as affordability, since "the masses" likely aren't rich.

I'll get mine either way, as I can afford to check some boxes on the Configurator, but if you've been following along for any period of time around here, there are plenty of people that are looking at $25,000 after credits as affordable, while $35,000 with no credits as not so affordable.