Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S90D Battery Degradation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
May '17 build S bought new with 500 miles, V3 battery (1088790-00-A). I have only fully charged my car 2 times, and less than a dozen times over 90%, most recently fully charged a month ago. It showed 289 miles of range. Car currently has 19K miles. Supercharged for about 4-5K true miles (range miles is a bit more since I've taken several road trips in the winter where miles actually driven were much less than what was put into the battery). When I bought the car I only charged to 70% for a few months, but for the past year I've upped it to 85% for daily use.

• Informative
Reactions: GoEagles997
day 1 of life new vehicle 2017 model s 90d full charge 294 mi.

2 years later it is 274 mi.

Normal daily use of car with charging set mainly to 80 percent max. Slow trickle charge at work 4 mi/hr mainly.

Is this within the realm of normal or accepted degradation? Or do I need to check with Tesla about battery issue?

2 Year mark on my S90D gives me 265 miles so I have lost 10% in 2 years. Does this slow down or am I expected to keep loosing 5% a year? Tesla tells me nothing is wrong and its normal.

2 Year mark on my S90D gives me 265 miles so I have lost 10% in 2 years. Does this slow down or am I expected to keep loosing 5% a year? Tesla tells me nothing is wrong and its normal.
To me, tho that may be acceptable to Tesla, it seems on the low end
After 2 years and 2 months I’m at about 280 with an S90D
Mine reached that level maybe midway thru last year, and has been constant since
I almost always charge to 90% overnight
I don’t charge every night, just when low

Mine reached that level maybe midway thru last year, and has been constant since

Unfortunately there is no list of acceptable degradation on the warranty so if it keeps loosing 5% a year I will get no assistance. My problem might be that I have to charge 100% many times because in the cold weather and in order to get to my destination and back I have no other choice. I make frequent 70 mile trips and I barely make it back sometimes with less than 10%. Seems in the cold and with highway driving around 70mph actual miles is around 35% less than listed.

I would say that is reasonable if not slightly high, but all within error so dont expect any replacement. Mine is 2.5 years with 45K miles and I am at 266 at 100%. The degradation has slowed way down for me though. At first it was 286 and rapidly degrading to 275, but it has been a while at 270 and slowly moving down to 266 right now.

You should not wait till it is low to charge. It is better for the battery to have shallower cycles. Better to go 3x from 80-60 than once 80-20.

Just going to throw my numbers into the mix, I doubt anyone has worse degradation than me:

- 472km / 293mi rated when new (3 years ago)
- 398km / 247mi rated now (almost 80,000km / 50,000mi on the odometer) and still declining slowly

This sums up to just over 15% degradation. I charge nightly to 90%, never been lower than 16%, 5-10x per year I charge to 100%.

Is there a good reason why no one uses the ‘Total energy’ data from the Trip menu? Isn’t that what we are supposed to compare in order to find true degradation? How much kWh the battery originally had to what capacity it is capable of now.

According to Jason-
“90D/P90D – ~85.8 kWh total capacity, 81.8 kWh usable“

So if I charged to ~80% and drove to ~30% (using 50% of the battery), assuming I had a brand new perfect 90 battery pack, ~40.9 kWh would display as Total Energy for that Trip.

Now try this on your 90D P90D

Last edited:
Is there a good reason why no one uses the ‘Total energy’ data from the Trip menu? Isn’t that what we are supposed to compare in order to find true degradation? How much kWh the battery originally had to what capacity it is capable of now.

So if I charged to ~80% and drove to ~30% (using 50% of the battery), assuming I had a brand new perfect 90 battery pack, ~40.9 kWh would display as Total Energy for that Trip.

Because it isn't accurate and doesn't take into account all uses/loses. The more aggressively you drive the lower that number will be.
It also has regen going in and out of it.

Reactions: P85_DA
All,

Could you kindly share your degradation metrics on your Tesla Model S. I too have had about 13% degradation, and Tesla is not willing to stand behind their product. As a proud owner and a shareholder, I am very disappointed by this. I have other Evs, and the degradation has been nothing close to this. I do feel the 90-pack has some issues that have not been present in the 85.

I have created a public Google sheet aimed at tracking Tesla Model S degradation vs Mileage. Can you share your numbers:

Tesla Model S Battery Degradation

(Please share and circulate this post)

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
All,

Could you kindly share your degradation metrics on your Tesla Model S. I too have had about 13% degradation, and Tesla is not willing to stand behind their product. As a proud owner and a shareholder, I am very disappointed by this. I have other Evs, and the degradation has been nothing close to this. I do feel the 90-pack has some issues that have not been present in the 85.

I have created a public Google sheet aimed at tracking Tesla Model S degradation vs Mileage. Can you share your numbers:

Tesla Model S Battery Degradation

(Please share and circulate this post)

Plug In America is already tracking battery degradation
Battery Survey « Plug In America

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
I have a 2017 post refresh 90D at 58k km. Bought it 6 months ago when it was at 41k km. Previous owner charged to 100% daily. I charge to 90% daily.

90% = 387km
100% = 435km

CAN shows 80,6kwh of which 76,6kWh is usable. So 6%ish loss despite the abuse. Still not good range though compared to Model 3. From 2014’s framework it is amazing range but today 300 easy miles is sort of becoming the norm.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
January 2017 Refresh Model S90D with V3 battery
Originally 100% = 294 mi
Now 100% = 281 mi for a degradation of 4.4%
41,800 miles with around 60% on long drives (>500 miles), covering at least 35 states so plenty of supercharging
Usually charge to 80-85% when at home, has been charged to 95-100% when necessary for long drives (esp in winter)

Dec 2016 refresh. Build date Nov 2016.
V3 battery pack (I think)
30,000 miles
New 100% was 294 miles
Current 100% is 285 miles.
Typically charged to 50-70%
Supercharge weekly up to 90%. Twice yearly will do road trip 1500 miles total with exclusive supercharging

Had the chance to connect to my 2017 Mar build V3 pack S90D’s CANBUS. It has been exactly 2 years since it was in traffic and my remaining full pack is 80,2kWh. 2 weeks ago it was 80,6kWh. This equates to around 423-430km on 100%.

Car is at 60,000km (37,2k mi)

When I bought it exactly 6 months ago @41k km(25.5k mi) it was showing 438km and 83.2kWh. So an additional 3,5% loss in 6 months is eery. I’ve charged to 100% maybe 4-5 times.

Previous owner who bought it new was charging to 100% daily but he said he was charging at a slow current setting. He made 25,5k mi in a year and a 90D brand new should be like 85kwh @447-450km when full. So even though he was abusing the pack by often fully charging it he lost 3% in a year but I lost 3,5% more in the past 6 months? Isn’t this odd?

When you factor in the 4kWh buffer I have 76,2kwh usable and realistically I could at best maybe use 75kwh on a roadtrip. After 2 years I’m left with a 400V 75D then...

Had the chance to connect to my 2017 Mar build V3 pack S90D’s CANBUS. It has been exactly 2 years since it was in traffic and my remaining full pack is 80,2kWh. 2 weeks ago it was 80,6kWh. This equates to around 423-430km on 100%.

Car is at 60,000km (37,2k mi)

When I bought it exactly 6 months ago @41k km(25.5k mi) it was showing 438km and 83.2kWh. So an additional 3,5% loss in 6 months is eery. I’ve charged to 100% maybe 4-5 times.

Previous owner who bought it new was charging to 100% daily but he said he was charging at a slow current setting. He made 25,5k mi in a year and a 90D brand new should be like 85kwh @447-450km when full. So even though he was abusing the pack by often fully charging it he lost 3% in a year but I lost 3,5% more in the past 6 months? Isn’t this odd?

When you factor in the 4kWh buffer I have 76,2kwh usable and realistically I could at best maybe use 75kwh on a roadtrip. After 2 years I’m left with a 400V 75D then...
Worst than a new 75D because the new 75D probably can supercharge faster, after the new firmware update, than a 90D can ever charge.