Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 2nd row now folds FLAT! (July 1st 2017 update)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i'm pretty sure if these new manual, foldable 2nd row seats were available when i ordered my 7 seater, I would've selected it. That said, the monoposts look awesome and more in line with the "over engineered" X that makes the car look like it is from the future. everything about the X is so over the top that I love it, even if it hinders on utility a little.

The speed at which you can actuate the manual latches is much better than the "luxury" of a motorized version. When people want to get out of the 3rd row, I'm sure they are not going to be saying "look at that luxury smoothness of that motorized seat" while they wait for it to finish moving.

I guess that's an eternal debate. I think of that every time my ICE cabriolet slowly rolls its seat(s) so that someone can enter the back...

That said, it depends on the implementation - the Tesla monoposts are fairly quick in their movement and look nice while moving. Better for kids and elderly too.

It would be nice to have an electric option for the folding seats. You kind of expect that at the pricepoint. Electrically folding third row would also be a usability bonus...

I guess that's an eternal debate. I think of that every time my ICE cabriolet slowly rolls its seat(s) so that someone can enter the back...

That said, it depends on the implementation - the Tesla monoposts are fairly quick in their movement and look nice while moving. Better for kids and elderly too.

It would be nice to have an electric option for the folding seats. You kind of expect that at the pricepoint. Electrically folding third row would also be a usability bonus...
The first time I put my hands on a Model X I was thinking that the 2nd row seats were form over function. They look great but from a utilitarian point of view they are not that well though out. What would be a great power option would be a button in the cargo area that would fold the 2nd row down remotely. I would also like to see a fold flat front passenger seat.

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Every time I have to stand and wait the 20 seconds while I wait for the electric driver's seat in a car to move from my wife's all-the-way-forward to my all-the-way-back position I'm thinking, "I wish there was a way to manually unlatch from the worm gear and just let me slide the seat." #firstworldproblems

Reactions: Mjølner
Thank you @BluX for the great info and insights.

Just to be clear, the extra "side arm space" is the same for all Model X versions built since late October, 2016, the five-seater included though of coures it can not be used as arm space there. :) It is actually an interesting historical point that Tesla re-designed the sides at that time to also fit the new 7-seater floor rails. This change happened already in October, 2016, so they've known of this for quite a while. I guess they were going through old 7-seater seat inventory/orders or something was holding them up...

Does anyone have a link to the photos of the "side arm space" pre and post updates?
Not much is mentioned about any 3rd row interior changes (besides the removal of the 3rd row for the 5 seater).
I'm curious how it looked as I've always remembered the 3rd row as having not much arm space and a small rear window.

Found this one image of the new design and took a pic of the orig design
3rd seat elbow space orig -2.jpg
3rd seat elbow space - 1 new.jpg

Thanks @Gwgan!

To further illustrate to @s4sammy:

The change is not that much and the added space is very far back so really, only for your elbows if even for those... I've sat on the third row and it is still very tight still, very tight.. So an arm rest it is not.

But the biggest thing, I guess, is more room for your shoulders as the "shelf" on top of the side panel (for a cover) has been removed and smoothed as part of this. So there is a bit more width for your upper body.

Also minimally more space for your feet due to redesigned sides there as well - when I say minimally, I mean even less than minimally. :)

I guess one further help is the fact that the side material is not so susceptible to ripping damage when carrying goods.

You can see the added space in these pictures in the way the mat - made for the old trunk - does not cover the new space:

Trying out wrong VIN Tesla mats and third-party Model S goodies on Model X

The right side space addition is smaller as you can see... (On the left there is the charger behind the panel but on the right there is the 3rd row HVAC fan/controller behind the panel which takes more space...)

model_x_wrong_stuff_2-jpg.223856

model_x_wrong_stuff_3-jpg.223855

This image - with the old mat - shows how "much" the floor has gained new space - the mat curves in the middle while the floor is straight...

model_x_wrong_stuff_1-jpg.223857

Here is the old one:

2016-Tesla-Model-X-P90D-third-row-interior-seats.jpg

And the new:

Tesla-Model-X-P90D-third-row-1280x854.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the fantastic write up @Gwgan & @AnxietyRanger!
Those photos helped illustrate the differences tremendously!

So in essence, the changes were so subtle that all you get is a marginal increase in shoulder room in the 3rd row.
There must be some charging hardware inside that section of the X which prevents the creation of an arm rest for the 3rd row passengers.
The first version looked a little more upscale with the stitching, but Tesla went with the all plastic piece which sort of cheapens the look.

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
The first version looked a little more upscale with the stitching, but Tesla went with the all plastic piece which sort of cheapens the look.

True. The old version was a bit more "design" and it also had the rails on top for a cargo cover (which was at least shipped to some early Signature cars and I guess was availabla as a spare part), so it was also more functional in that sense.

That said, a guy on this forum that regularly moved around professional photography equipment with the third row folded complained that the old material (is it leather?) was breaking under duress.

Plastic sides, while prone to scratching, are at least not so prone to ripping or peeling off... so that, in addition to the slight added roominess, is a benefit of the new design.

So, as always with Tesla's changes, tradeoffs... :)

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeBur
Every time I have to stand and wait the 20 seconds while I wait for the electric driver's seat in a car to move from my wife's all-the-way-forward to my all-the-way-back position I'm thinking, "I wish there was a way to manually unlatch from the worm gear and just let me slide the seat." #firstworldproblems
At least it's better now with the key fobs tied to profiles. Squeezing through a fully folded seat to get to the profile selection on the center display was not so much fun ;)

I wonder if the new manual second row's easy entry moves the front seats? I'm guessing not, but the folding of the second row could trigger a signal for the front seat(s) to move forward at least in theory.

One (IMO controversial when using it for cargo) part of the 6/old 7 seater Easy Entry is that it also moves the front seats forward to help with third-row access while making it possible to keep e.g. a child seat in the second row.

The new system would seem like a child seat on the second row must be removed to access the third?

What's the procedure for linking the key fob to a profile ? Never knew this was possible.

Bring the fob you want to link and go to:

Settings >> Driver Profiles >> [Pick the Driver] >> to the right, you'll see a "Link to key fob [1]"

That will be blue if it's not linked. Tap on it and it turns grey and changes to "Linked to key fob 1"

• Informative
Reactions: masam
Have they stopped making the old style 7 seater?

I just went into a store in the UK to ask about the new folding seats and the guy took great pleasure in telling me they wouldn't be available in the UK for 6 months.

Frankly I didn't believe him as I think they have stopped production of the old 7 seater and I think they are just trying to get rid of the large number of inventory cars they have.

II will post about this in the UK forum also to see if anyone has been told anything different.

I checked various countries.

The US, Canada and Mexico show the new seats, everywhere else shows the old seats, RHD and LHD.

I could see that you'd have to wait a couple of months after ordering a car due to transportation time but the guy was trying to tell me I wouldn't be able to even order one for 6 months. I am just not buying it, literally and figuratively. I don't remember there ever being a large spec difference between US and overseas cars like this.

Have they stopped making the old style 7 seater?

I just went into a store in the UK to ask about the new folding seats and the guy took great pleasure in telling me they wouldn't be available in the UK for 6 months.

Frankly I didn't believe him as I think they have stopped production of the old 7 seater and I think they are just trying to get rid of the large number of inventory cars they have.

II will post about this in the UK forum also to see if anyone has been told anything different.

Hi, I am the person who got the surprise new model. We actually wanted the old model because we have car seats (although now we are more ok this set up). We were told that there were no more seats of the old model available for a custom build and if we wanted it, we would have to buy an inventory car. So I am assuming if your car is being built in California, you would get a new model. I can't speak for the inventory in the UK. Good luck in figuring things out!