Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up a new 5 seat Model X yesterday. I think the back seats are ok, not great. Disappointed with the smaller proportioned center seat and the open back that stuff hanging out. Looks circa 1980's minivan like, to my taste. I was disappointed in Tesla.
I guess seeing what a bad job they did with this bench seat design, I'm now wishing that I would have taken the seven seater with the better looking seats in the middle row and just dumped the two back seats out. That is what I thought the five seater was going to look like, that is what I had been led to believe by my salesman. So seeing this instead was a startlingly ugly reality. Today I took my 10 year old Porsche in for a front bulb replacement and asked them if they would take a Model X with 50 miles on it and my 10 year old Porsche in for a straight up no cash trade. I'd do it for their hybrid in a nanosecond.

• Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
I guess seeing what a bad job they did with this bench seat design, I'm now wishing that I would have taken the seven seater with the better looking seats in the middle row and just dumped the two back seats out. That is what I thought the five seater was going to look like, that is what I had been led to believe by my salesman. So seeing this instead was a startlingly ugly reality. Today I took my 10 year old Porsche in for a front bulb replacement and asked them if they would take a Model X with 50 miles on it and my 10 year old Porsche in for a straight up no cash trade. I'd do it for their hybrid in a nanosecond.

This makes it sound like the attractiveness of the rear seats far outweighs the following:
  • electric drivetrain
  • supercharger network
  • autopilot features
  • connected control via app
  • neat features such as summon
  • autopark
  • incredible speed
  • clean, modern design
  • excellent dash and touchscreen UI
  • free LTE connection
  • etc

I know you are asking about a foldable second row, but just for fun... a guy in France actually did this:

Going with 4 seats - no second row

img_3072-jpg.204341

A four seater with folding rear seats. :)
Unbelievably, Dreamy.

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
I was hoping what you meant was coming was a piece that would separate the cargo area from the underside of the folding seats, but what's coming is the panel that would sit over where that paint bucket is. Is that right? (disappointed)
As with everything related to 5-seaters, I really don't know. I assumed it was the flat horizontal panel that makes a flat floor in the cargo area as seen in the Tesla photos. Yes, covering the well the paint bucket is in. A vertical section that extends down to hide the back of the seat would be nice but I don't expect it.

This makes it sound like the attractiveness of the rear seats far outweighs the following:
  • electric drivetrain
  • supercharger network
  • autopilot features
  • connected control via app
  • neat features such as summon
  • autopark
  • incredible speed
  • clean, modern design
  • excellent dash and touchscreen UI
  • free LTE connection
  • etc
I agree with both view points. The rear seat shows up that Tesla marketing is not totally respectful of it's customers. It shows that Tesla is not a mature car company. If Consumer Reports had a 5 seat version, it would not have earned the Model X any more rating points. Yes, it folds flat but it is a minimal seating solution.

Still, it is an amazing car! I am delighted with all the things it can do and how well it does them. If it does these things for some years to come, without breaking a lot, I'll be satisfied.

Reactions: Fiddler
I agree with both view points. The rear seat shows up that Tesla marketing is not totally respectful of it's customers. It shows that Tesla is not a mature car company. If Consumer Reports had a 5 seat version, it would not have earned the Model X any more rating points. Yes, it folds flat but it is a minimal seating solution.

Still, it is an amazing car! I am delighted with all the things it can do and how well it does them. If it does these things for some years to come, without breaking a lot, I'll be satisfied.

I don't get how it's not respectful. It's pretty much the same seat as the S, and I don't know of anyone who complains about that one. This one even reclines! It does look almost the same as the 7 seat 2nd row (not including the base). Obviously it is a bit different because it needs to fold, so the side bolsters can't be as big. They actually shortened the middle headrest, since it was a visibility issue in the 7 seat version, so they were being somewhat thoughtful about it.

It's also the base option, too. This is the version you don't need to pay extra for, unlike the 6/7 seater config. So I think it is a fine solution given the constraints.

Honestly, I don't like the 6 and 7 seats, and here are the reasons:
1) the middle pedestal seat don't recline, and no arm rest.
2) the floor mats cut out for the pedestal is way too much, there will be problem to keep the floor mats in position.
3) the 3rd row seat is a joke, there is no space for your arm by the window at all. Basically they are child seat.

Base on those 3 reasons, I went with 5 seats and I don't have to pay any extra.

2) the floor mats cut out for the pedestal is way too much, there will be problem to keep the floor mats in position.
3) the 3rd row seat is a joke, there is no space for your arm by the window at all. Basically they are child seat.

Finally someone who likes the 5 seater!

I agree completely. I was surprised that so many rubes decided to buy the 6 and 7 seat versions of the car. I think the allure of an advanced technology and the attractive styling of an electric SUV vehicle had the effect of allowing many to overlook the less than optimal interior seating design. 7 seats in a car that size? Silly. Claustrophobic. 6 seats in a car that size, leaving no room for cargo space at the level of an SUV? Silly. Naive.

We all know that the only logical interior design for a vehicle the size of the Model X is the 5 seat configuration.

Rubes? Uh, I'm getting a 6 seater. It's awesome to me. Love the way you can get around easily, the extra cargo room and extra seats if you need them. It just makes for a really interesting interior. Even with the fixed backs, it still has a bit more cargo then my current Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (though obviously I lose height towards the rear).

Rubes? Uh, I'm getting a 6 seater. It's awesome to me. Love the way you can get around easily, the extra cargo room and extra seats if you need them. It just makes for a really interesting interior. Even with the fixed backs, it still has a bit more cargo then my current Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (though obviously I lose height towards the rear).

If the 3rd row provides any kinds of arm rest space by the window, I would have gotten the 6 seats configuration. When I try the 3rd row, my arm have to be tucked in with no space to move my arm. I had a Honda pilot before, and if you compare them side by side, you will see that this is a big factor.

Wonder if all of the 5-seaters are coming in with missing seat assembly - Just spoke to my DS; she said the car arrived on Monday but due to missing parts we may not be able to take delivery until next week. Also, she said the panels are missing and would be shipped out directly to us at some point.

Wonder if all of the 5-seaters are coming in with missing seat assembly - Just spoke to my DS; she said the car arrived on Monday but due to missing parts we may not be able to take delivery until next week. Also, she said the panels are missing and would be shipped out directly to us at some point.

Yes, this has been the pattern so far, but parts are making their way out.