TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model X 90 vs 100 weight

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by bikeandsail, Jan 31, 2017.

1. bikeandsail

bikeandsail Member

Does anyone know if the 100 kw battery Model X's weight more than the 90 kw battery? If so how much?

2. vigge50

vigge50 Member

I think Tesla said that the 100 kWh battery was just 4% heavier then the 90 kWh battery but I haven't seen any test of it.

3. PedanticOne

PedanticOne MyTesla Refresh Champion

Well, the P100D is about 100lbs more than the 90D. I know there are other changes, but that might give you some idea?

(and I'm not sure how different the P100D battery is from the 100D one)

4. DIL

DIL Member

i'm wondering in general how battery weight affects handling. how big a weight penalty is 100 vs 60? will def effect dynamics.

5. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

You probably want to compare 100 vs 75, since the 60s are just software-limited 75s (Yes, you are carrying out some dead weight if you paid for the 60kwh pack).

If @PedanticOne is correct with ~100lbs between 90 vs 100, then I would expect around ~250lbs between 100 vs 75.

6. Halcyon

Halcyon Member

Would love to hear some theories on why the 100D is not faster than the 90D. I would think it should be .2-.3 seconds faster on 0-60.

7. DIL

DIL Member

i have no evidence, but i believe it must be software limited to avoid cannibalizing P100D sales

8. vigge50

vigge50 Member

It could be that the inverter is the limiting factor and not the battery wish had been the case before with smaller batteries.

9. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

Why would higher battery capacity equate to higher performance? Tesla got better performance with the connections and fuses that allowed higher amperage and probably higher performance motors. If the connections and the motors are the same with the 90D and 100D, then the performance is going to be the same, the 100D will just carry you farther.

• Like x 1
  10. Halcyon

Halcyon Member

I am somewhat assuming that the P100D is faster than the P90D only because of the battery. I don't think anything else changed? Seeing as P90D owners can swap out the battery to P100D and achieve the same results.

• Disagree x 1
  11. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

From my understanding, the limiting factor with the P90D was the battery. If the battery could drain faster, the motor could handle more power. With the P100D's bigger battery, more power was available and hence the lower 0-60 times.

12. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

The Ludicrous underline on the badging adds a lot of weight I'm told...

• Funny x 2
  13. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Member

Won't the 100d be slower than the 90d because it has the same power and torque but is heavier?

14. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

• Informative x 3
    • Love x 1
  15. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Member

Thanks, that chart is helpful. So if the 100d is 220lb heavier than 90d, then it must be slower than the 90d assuming power and torque remained the same, or does the 100d can generate just enough extra power to compensate for the extra weight?

Tesla.com quotes both the 90d and 100d as having the same 0-60 times of 4.2s. Is that spec at curb weight or max gross weight? If it is curb weight than the 100d would have a bit of extra power. If it is gross weight then is it possible that the 100d have less payload capacity than the 90d?

16. verygreen

verygreen Curious member

Unlike model S, model X has 5 seaters with relatively lightweight bench seat vs 6/7-seaters with absolutely heavy monopost seats. This should be taken into account too somehow, though I am not aware if anybody actually made the measurements to confirm the actual weight difference.

17. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

It's my understanding that the bigger battery allows for more current to be sent to the motors and I assume that extra energy can easily compensate for the added weight.

18. vigge50

vigge50 Member

Sure, but as I understand it so is the only different between the old 85 and P85 a different inverter wish could give more current and if so maybe it's the same Between P100D and 100D. If it's the inverter and not the battery that limte the current it would mean that a bigger battery don't help.

19. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

I'm not too knowledgeable about the differences between the 85 and P85, but with the Model-X, when you get a performance vehicle, the following are done:
    - You get a larger rear motor (non-performance vehicles have 2 identical motors)
    - You get a INCONEL fuse to handle the higher temperatures/energy

The inverter might be rated for higher current/voltage, but without a bigger battery to provide those higher currents/voltages, it would be a pointless upgrade.

Therefore, I suspect that you need both a bigger battery and a higher-rated inverter to achieve more torque. Of course, a bigger motor is required too, but that should be more obvious.

20. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Member

Maybe the inverter on the 90d isn't maxed out yet so they can tease out say 5% more output in the 100d to compensate for the extra weight. The motor should not be the limit at this point and the battery can probably squeeze out 5% more current.