Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X April Deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's the pic my DS just sent me!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    204.6 KB · Views: 92
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    204.6 KB · Views: 70
Latest update from Dania Beach SC is that upon QC inspection several problems were found with our X. Doors were not aligned, doors were not closing all the way, bubbles in the clear coat and several other items. When I pressed for more information as to an itemization of what all the problems were I was told they were too many to list. :( To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. They have said that it will take "a few more weeks" to iron out the issues, they said they will be sending the car to a local body shop. When I asked if it was just the alignment of the doors, he was very hesitant and said no, we have quite a few more issues than that. When I expressed that I was hoping an X with so many glaring quality issues would have left the factory his response was "we're a new company with a new product and we are trying to work out the kinks but a fe slip through the cracks. Its new technology and we are doing the very best to deliver a good product, we caught all the errors on inspection and the body shop will have it back to us in a few weeks and we will be sure to deliver to you the best car possible".
Seriously?!?!? I wanna scream!!!! Why the..... am I paying for $100+k for a car that is going to a body shop before it even gets to me. Now even after I take delivery I'll be paranoid about every single time something is even slightly awry.
I've asked for a detailed list of all the "repairs" it will be getting while at the body shop. I have a few choice words right now....out of severe frustration, but I'll just keep them to myself.....because none are good.....not one!:mad:
If I didn't take delivery do I lose my $5k? If I cancelled this reservation and placed a new one I'm looking at the back of the line aren't I? TESLA GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER!!!!!

As excited as alot of us are. Take note that we chose to be an early adopter of a vehicle that has to be one the most ambitious from an innovative standpoint to date, built by a very new company (100,000 vehicles to date) that has in some way overextended it's capabilities and is currently net negative.

Just be aware that if/when you go through this, you may still likely go through more pains and if there is a fix that tesla catches and changes in future versions, our vehicles may be the only ones with the chronic problems.

Though I cannot relate to you, I am hastily running down the same path as my vehicle is due in June-July. It is terribly unsatisfying (and frustrating) to have the body shop get your car before you do with a 6 figure price cost but sometimes, this is truly the price of admission to be in a situation where you own the newest greatest thing out there since Sliced bread and the discovery of cannabis.

Someone mentioned that tesla has changed the paradigm of vehicle costs and long term depreciation. All this innovation from a new company with such high expectations can usually mean some of the burden of that is let out on a "few" unfortunate souls.

I highly suggest getting your checklist and a magnifying glass ready. Check everything multiple times, open the fwd 20 times in a row. Make a decision BEFORE you come in with your own personal threshold with what would make you decline and eat the 5k reservation. Then perhaps wait before you get back into the line as the wait list is only a month and it seems people may have a more wait and see attitude as these problems are certainly going to curtail demand on an otherwise already niche vehicle.

As excited as alot of us are. Take note that we chose to be an early adopter of a vehicle that has to be one the most ambitious from an innovative standpoint to date, built by a very new company (100,000 vehicles to date) that has in some way overextended it's capabilities and is currently net negative.

Just be aware that if/when you go through this, you may still likely go through more pains and if there is a fix that tesla catches and changes in future versions, our vehicles may be the only ones with the chronic problems.

Though I cannot relate to you, I am hastily running down the same path as my vehicle is due in June-July. It is terribly unsatisfying (and frustrating) to have the body shop get your car before you do with a 6 figure price cost but sometimes, this is truly the price of admission to be in a situation where you own the newest greatest thing out there since Sliced bread and the discovery of cannabis.

Someone mentioned that tesla has changed the paradigm of vehicle costs and long term depreciation. All this innovation from a new company with such high expectations can usually mean some of the burden of that is let out on a "few" unfortunate souls.

I highly suggest getting your checklist and a magnifying glass ready. Check everything multiple times, open the fwd 20 times in a row. Make a decision BEFORE you come in with your own personal threshold with what would make you decline and eat the 5k reservation. Then perhaps wait before you get back into the line as the wait list is only a month and it seems people may have a more wait and see attitude as these problems are certainly going to curtail demand on an otherwise already niche vehicle.

@Diavel My POV: When I signed on to purchase an unseen, never driven, vehicle - it was a leap of faith in Tesla, and their approach to EV. I did not expect it to be a completely smooth ride but I have total confidence that the X will be a great car and that any minor problems will be resolved quickly. There is NOTHING that would make me decline the car and eat the 5K reservation.

Reactions: stef and Diavel
Latest update from Dania Beach SC is that upon QC inspection several problems were found with our X. Doors were not aligned, doors were not closing all the way, bubbles in the clear coat and several other items. When I pressed for more information as to an itemization of what all the problems were I was told they were too many to list. :( To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. They have said that it will take "a few more weeks" to iron out the issues, they said they will be sending the car to a local body shop. When I asked if it was just the alignment of the doors, he was very hesitant and said no, we have quite a few more issues than that. When I expressed that I was hoping an X with so many glaring quality issues would have left the factory his response was "we're a new company with a new product and we are trying to work out the kinks but a fe slip through the cracks. Its new technology and we are doing the very best to deliver a good product, we caught all the errors on inspection and the body shop will have it back to us in a few weeks and we will be sure to deliver to you the best car possible".
Seriously?!?!? I wanna scream!!!! Why the..... am I paying for $100+k for a car that is going to a body shop before it even gets to me. Now even after I take delivery I'll be paranoid about every single time something is even slightly awry.
I've asked for a detailed list of all the "repairs" it will be getting while at the body shop. I have a few choice words right now....out of severe frustration, but I'll just keep them to myself.....because none are good.....not one!:mad:
If I didn't take delivery do I lose my $5k? If I cancelled this reservation and placed a new one I'm looking at the back of the line aren't I? TESLA GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER!!!!!
Ouch. I would certainly be upset too. I know it's tough to realize but all manufacturers (dealers?) would do the same as Tesla is doing, they just would not tell you. I had a Ford pickup once that had the hood completely repainted. Did not notice it until we got it home. When we called that out they stated it was still a brand new car and that was an acceptable part of the buying process so we had to deal with it.

I think you still have the right to refuse the car when you see it. If it is not up to spec at that time, just tell them why you won't accept it and ask for a replacement.

Eating the $5k doesn't bother me as much as not knowing when a car will realistically be delivered even with a new reservation, and still that doesn't guarantee a new reservation for a car built later will be free of error (since it would appear at this point that the cars coming off the line with problems is quite random and doesn't seem to be isolated to a specific VIN batch, or factory, or build type). I would love to say with confidence that I "trust" Tesla, but I'd being lying if I didn't say trust wasn't wavering a bit. In the end I know they'll make it "right", but my car, as you said, may be one of those with chronic problems and that bothers me a bit.
My husband on the other hand has a totally different point of view. He purchased his S in 2012, and I must admit I didn't pay much attention to him or the process. He asked me to go test drive a car with him one day, we did, he purchased the car on the spot and the same day reserved my X. I was hemming and hawing but he was very sure of it. I didn't follow all of his ins and outs with delivery on his S. I remember it was a very personalized experience and we were given the red carpet treatment and while he waited for delivery on his S his DS was like his best friend with constant updates etc......totally different experience this time around. When I express my frustrations to him its usually met with "don't worry, Tesla will make it right and you're gonna have the best car ever".
In the meantime I'm waiting for that checklist of "repairs". I'm memorizing that "delivery checklist" and I'm waiting.....some more.

Last edited:
On a different note, I'd love to hear from those who took delivery of imperfect cars and whether the issues were addressed in a timely manner and completely resolved or whether they continue to have the same issues. I know one person in my neighborhood who took delivery of his P90D, the very next weekend it was in the SC for a week. He has it back but I've heard its still not without issues.

Eating the $5k doesn't bother me as much as not knowing when a car will realistically be delivered even with a new reservation, and still that doesn't guarantee a new reservation for a car built later will be free of error (since it would appear at this point that the cars coming off the line with problems is quite random and doesn't seem to be isolated to a specific VIN batch, or factory, or build type. I would love to say with confidence that I "trust" Tesla, but I'd being lying if I didn't say trust wasn't wavering a bit. In the end I know they'll make it "right", but my car, as you said, may be one of those with chronic problems and that bothers me a bit.
My husband on the other hand has a totally different point of view. He purchased his S in 2012, and I must admit I didn't pay much attention to him or the process. He asked me to go test drive a car with him one day, we did, he purchased the car on the spot and the same day reserved my X. I was hemming and hawing but he was very sure of it. I didn't follow all of his ins and outs with delivery on his S. Remember it was a very personalized experience and we were given the red carpet treatment and while he waited for delivery on his S his DS was like his best friend with constant updates etc......totally different experience this time around. When I express my frustrations to him its usually met with "don't worry, Tesla will make it right and you're gonna have the best car ever".
In the meantime I'm waiting for that checklist of "repairs". I'm memorizing that "delivery checklist" and I'm waiting.....some more.

I do not plan on memorizing a checklist. I will bring mine in an apologetically pull it out while going through the most important things that can get in the way of safety. I'm flying my family in to the factory with my 3yr old and driving back to LA. So hopefully my faith in Tesla will not be in vain.

You are absolutely right that they will make it right but if there are things like plastic latches and 1st gen issues due to engineering and design issues that are hardware limited and the only fix is a redesign, I am afraid that we would be stuck with the chronic issues.

I have very few issues with my 2013 model s 85 I picked up used. They are relatively small but that engineering mountain is a molehill compared to the X methinks.

If you don't want problems, perhaps next model year is best, hopping back in line will probably bring a less problematic one but still may inherently provide the same big issues that can come about in the near future. Not to mention the extra $5000 extinguished. 1st world problems indeed. Best of luck to you and please update us of any advancements. Crossing my fingers for you.

There is a thread with owner problems in the forum. You can check out the issues there.

This is a perfect example of my previous argument against Tesla providing more information. If Tesla tells their customers about the imperfections, it will just make the customer paranoid. This post is such a perfect example (even used the same word, "awry") that I feel like I might be getting poned.

I do not plan on memorizing a checklist. I will bring mine in an apologetically pull it out while going through the most important things that can get in the way of safety. I'm flying my family in to the factory with my 3yr old and driving back to LA. So hopefully my faith in Tesla will not be in vain.

You are absolutely right that they will make it right but if there are things like plastic latches and 1st gen issues due to engineering and design issues that are hardware limited and the only fix is a redesign, I am afraid that we would be stuck with the chronic issues.

I have very few issues with my 2013 model s 85 I picked up used. They are relatively small but that engineering mountain is a molehill compared to the X methinks.

If you don't want problems, perhaps next model year is best, hopping back in line will probably bring a less problematic one but still may inherently provide the same big issues that can come about in the near future. Not to mention the extra $5000 extinguished. 1st world problems indeed. Best of luck to you and please update us of any advancements. Crossing my fingers for you.

There is a thread with owner problems in the forum. You can check out the issues there.

@Diavel you are so right! First world problems indeed.

This is a perfect example of my previous argument against Tesla providing more information. If Tesla tells their customers about the imperfections, it will just make the customer paranoid. This post is such a perfect example (even used the same word, "awry") that I feel like I might be getting poned.

@vandacca i may have just well read your previous post and it stuck in my mind, not sure, but if I didn't, know it's also just in my personality to be a bit paranoid if I'm privy to something such as in this case. I'm off to read your post now in any event and to search for that thread with owners with issues. (Misery loves company or comfort, whichever is the case). I do admit in waiting for my X I have probably spent entirely too much time on these forums. I thank this forum for giving me an outlet to vent, learn, celebrate (with others as they took delivery) and just get advice or lend an optimistic word. I'll be sure to keep everyone updated as things unfold.

Last edited:

@sflecarfan I know how much you are looking forward to getting your X but don't settle for a rigged car. If it is not perfect don't take delivery, it is hard to tell at this point how you would even know if all items were addressed.. May be a hard pill to swallow but getting a new order put through might save you a lot of future headache. Or demand Tesla give you one heck of a lease deal on the original car.

@sflecarfan I know how much you are looking forward to getting your X but don't settle for a rigged car. If it is not perfect don't take delivery, it is hard to tell at this point how you would even know if all items were addressed.. May be a hard pill to swallow but getting a new order put through might save you a lot of future headache. Or demand Tesla give you one heck of a lease deal on the original car.

Agree with this.....a "bad" vehicle could cost you more than $5K in lost time and create enhanced stress. Needless to say, if you go forward with this X....at delivery, use the checklist & go over it with a fine tooth comb.

Reactions: sflecarfan
Other potential problems to check for at delivery: frayed center console (see attached pic), misaligned trim (see attached pics) squeaky doors and squeaky windows.

@KaiserSoze That center console looks bad and so does the alignment. I'm appalled they even let someone take delivery of that vehicle. Have these items been fixed yet?
I've heard everyone's advice and we definitely will not be taking delivery if we don't feel confident once checking the car over. On a positive note our new DS is knowledgeable and proactive. I have not heard from our original DS since hearing the car "was on its way to South Florida". At the beginning of this week, this new DS called us when the car arrived to Dania, he called again, when they started QC and he called again yesterday to give that update. He has been the most informative person we have dealt with thus far.

Other potential problems to check for at delivery: frayed center console (see attached pic), misaligned trim (see attached pics) squeaky doors and squeaky windows.
The choice of material seems to be poor on the frayed center console. Ideally in high West and tear areas, tougher durable materials are expected. The frayed trim looks like it's a ultra thin leather over fabric, it will not survive a year of slightly rough handling :(

Threads like this are extremely helpful for people about to take delivery of their X. Take the 'checklist' and don't apologize for bringing it out and going through it line by line with your delivery specialist.

A similar document exists for the S. I used it many (OK 3) years ago when taking delivery of my first S. The delivery specialist was impressed and made a copy of it so the SC could use it when evaluating future deliveries. He was not just trying to placate me...we have become friends over the years and I know he was grateful to have the list as it made his job easier, happier customers and less work in the future/loaner cars etc. for the SC.

Reactions: goneskiian
@KaiserSoze That center console looks bad and so does the alignment. I'm appalled they even let someone take delivery of that vehicle. Have these items been fixed yet?

They have not, but I've only had the car for four days. Service is delayed because of the need for bodywork: the rear spoiler is bolted onto the hatch incorrectly, such that one of of the support arms rubs against the body every time it moves. This has rubbed off the paint and results in a groan on every lock and unlock, and rattling on the highway. I guess Elon didn't drive our car.

The center console is a bit inexcusable: it's obviously frayed, but rather than fix it, someone globbed a bunch of adhesive onto it, as if nobody would notice.

I should have noticed both issues, but we were a bit rushed through delivery--our DS implied that, due to the volume of cars, only two delivery slots were available, with a soft ultimatum attached. To add insult to injury, we double paid: I paid online before delivery, but my wife was asked for a check while I was going through the car. Both payments went though; we're waiting for one of them to be refunded. Oops.