Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X design bad ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really like the design of model S,
But am I the only one that doesn't like the Model X design ?
To me it doesn't look like a SUV, it looks more like a fat wagon or something, the design is very boring and old.
Am I the only one thinking this ?

I am in agreement. I do not like the design of the X. And yes, to me it does look like a 'fat wagon'. I tend to describe it as a Model S that is bloated and farted. kinda like this:

091db70af8d53d91b2a72ea20496b441.jpg

Can we now say that the Model X rendering on Teslamotors.com is the production car?

AnxietyRanger did a good write up on the differences. There are quite a few (longer, lower, nose is pointer, the hood slopes down at a higher angle, the front grill area wil be completely different) and most importantly the falgon wings wont completely close (I kid I kid..)

Speaking of the design, i wish it has a regular roof. I've seen cars without an A Pillar cross beam and it looks like a balding head or a massive forehead (i call it the fivehead :biggrin:)

I`ll reserve final judgment until September 29th, but I`ll say this much. Generally speaking I am not a fan of SUVs, pick ups and other whales like that. However, the first thing that crossed my mind when the Model X prototype was shown on stage was: "God d*mn, Franz, you sneaky b*stard! This thing is gorgeous!". He seemed to have defied the laws of physics and make such a huge car elegant and proportionate and beautiful.

Now, some of the mule shots have scared me a bit in the past few months, but seeing the seemingly final X in blue got things back on track for me. I think the mules had some fake body panels, tapes running through things and, most importantly, all the cars were black or white (mostly black). I generally don`t like those two colors for cars (only thing worse is silver for me), but especially from a design point of view they tend to hide the curves and little fine solutions and make the whole thing look bulky as a result. Another important factor is the wheels: the prototype shots were with huge (22"?) wheels but some of the mules had a lot smaller ones which really changes the look of a car. Small wheels make it look disproportionate like an elephant on high heels.

The OP should post an example of what he considers to be a good SUV design. The only one that ever impressed me much is the Infiniti FX line. It's the only SUV that looks to me like it means business in the handling department, with those tall tires and curvaceous lines. Car and Driver thinks it aspires and manages to be a sports car / SUV:
Infiniti FX45 - Road Test - Car Reviews - Car and Driver

But I suspect that kind of SUV leaves a lot to be desired in utility and spaciousness. You probably can't have it both ways, but it will be interesting to see Tesla's attempt to give us what we want but don't yet know it.

However, I don't think that Tesla shares your opinion on the look of their cars. Even the Model S was designed to resemble other luxury sports sedans and not look as if it were transported here from the future. They obviously want to ensure that the buying public can visualize themselves in the car, not a sequel to Back to the Future. :wink:

That's it exactly. Tesla wants the car to be relatable, normal looking, to overcome the stigma created by EVs of the past (which went all futuristic looking, and the masses just thought they were weird and nitchy and not for me).

At the same time Tesla are taking liberties (risks) with design innovations like panoramic roofs, extended windshields, 17" touch control panels, retractable door handles, falcon doors, new folding seat concepts, over the air updates, smart suspension, etc.

They bring you the normal, and the future, all in one package.
The balance is quite remarkable really.

In contrast, look at the BMW i8. It's cool looking, but its over the top design gets old fast. Not a timeless design, and more of a showpiece than a daily driver.

- - - Updated - - -

As for whether it's a bad design... I have had the S locked in my sights for a while now, but the X has me rethinking that - and I'm a long time sports sedan kind of guy.

Decisions decisions.