Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X design bad ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sooo, what do you think of the Nissan Juke's design? Good? Bad? Pontiac Aztek? Oh wait, they don't make that anymore.
SUV's started their popularity with the original Jurrasic Park movie, in my recollection. They were all-electric, auto-pilot, roomy, brightly-colored, had lots of cargo space for highway flares, night vision goggles, and high powered lanterns. They had lots of cup holders so you could see the tremble of a glass of water before the thunder of the footstep of a mighty T-Rex. They were the ultimate adventure vehicle, and very durable. You could fall off a bluff and land in a tree and you'd still be safe, until you got out of the SUV and it came crashing down over you. They even had panoramic roofs which were impervious to the gnashing teeth of an apex predator.

Fast forward to 2015. There's no track on the ground, autopilot is in beta testing, the range is incredible, and if that Mexican Model S fire is any example, you really can endure a horrendous crash, end up in a tree, and walk away unscathed.

The Tesla Model X is delivering on the promise of the SUV depicted in that Spielberg movie, in every unbelievable detail, and more. If you're concerned about aesthetic merit, please, compare it to the Ford Explorer from the 90's.

Damn, you guys are brutal. Keep in mind, not everyone is in the US (hint: check OPs location).

That said, I'd love to see a useful poll asking how people feel about the design so far, and another poll once it's released to see how the data has changed.

It definitely seems to be more polarizing than the Model S (but considering it's still covered up in some spots, it's not fair to judge yet anyways).

I really like the design of model S,
But am I the only one that doesn't like the Model X design ?
To me it doesn't look like a SUV, it looks more like a fat wagon or something, the design is very boring and old.
Am I the only one thinking this ?

Welcome to the forums.

I agree that the Model X doesn't look like a typical SUV. I hate the looks of SUVs. I call them Stupid Useless Vehicles, but hey that's just me.

I also agree with you and I like the Model S. To me the Model X looks a lot like a husky Model S, not an ugly SUV.

So to move on to an equally controversial subject, which do you like more chocolate or vanilla? :wink:

Larry

Welcome to the forums.

I agree that the Model X doesn't look like a typical SUV. I hate the looks of SUVs. I call them Stupid Useless Vehicles, but hey that's just me.

I also agree with you and I like the Model S. To me the Model X looks a lot like a husky Model S, not an ugly SUV.

So to move on to an equally controversial subject, which do you like more chocolate or vanilla? :wink:

Larry

thanks for the welcome.

IMO, TESLA is so High-tech, their cars are like 5+,10+ years ahead of conventional competitors, when I first saw the model S, i was really impressed, even by the exterior design.
But seeing the model X, it doesn't look like a very eye-catching SUV.I belive the design should suit better all the cool features the car has and should look more like it's coming from the future ( take a look at BMW I8)

I hope now you know what I mean

and I appologize for my bad english, I am not an american.

thanks for the welcome.

IMO, TESLA is so High-tech, their cars are like 5+,10+ years ahead of conventional competitors, when I first saw the model S, i was really impressed, even by the exterior design.
But seeing the model X, it doesn't look like a very eye-catching SUV.I belive the design should suit better all the cool features the car has and should look more like it's coming from the future ( take a look at BMW I8)

I still think there may be some design changes before we see the final version, but even if there aren't, I feel like both what we saw at the reveal and what we've seen in most recent sightings are far improved over the early mules we saw running around (which without trim and awkward hatches, did look round and bloated IMO).

We shall see.

thanks for the welcome.

Yes, I believe I know what you mean.

However, I don't think that Tesla shares your opinion on the look of their cars. Even the Model S was designed to resemble other luxury sports sedans and not look as if it were transported here from the future. They obviously want to ensure that the buying public can visualize themselves in the car, not a sequel to Back to the Future. :wink:

BMW's i8 is a beautiful car. However, BMW calls it a 4-seat sports car. You can take more design liberties with an expensive sports car's small niche market than you can with the mass market targeting sports sedans or SUVs. (I realize that currently both the Model S and X may still be considered as niche markets, but the aspiration is to eventually increase production to approach the mass market.)

Larry

thanks for the welcome.IMO, TESLA is so High-tech, their cars are like 5+,10+ years ahead of conventional competitors, when I first saw the model S, i was really impressed, even by the exterior design.But seeing the model X, it doesn't look like a very eye-catching SUV.I belive the design should suit better all the cool features the car has and should look more like it's coming from the future ( take a look at BMW I8)I hope now you know what I mean and I appologize for my bad english, I am not an american.

The Model X is a 7 seat SUV and you want it to look like an i8? Tesla Motors is good but they can't bend the laws of physics. Unless they've hired the design team of this car...

clown-car-o.gif

Last edited:
I actually thought the AMC Pacer was a cool design. I'm serious. And I like the design of the Model X too.

I liked the Pacer too. I like any car with good visibility, plus it was something new and different.
So many cars just look like all the other ones, only distiguishable by the badging.
Pacer didn't need no stinking badges. Neither will the MX.

The Model X is a 7 seat SUV and you want it to look like an i8? Tesla Motors is good but they can't bend the laws of physics. Unless they've hired the design team of this car...

View attachment 92066

I don't want it to look like an i8.
The same design language,like the futuristic one from i8 can be applied to different form factors.the i8 design language could be applied to a 4 door sedan for example, or even a SUV.
Therefore, what I am trying to say, I would have liked a more futuristic design language for the TESLA X

I don't want it to look like an i8.
The same design language,like the futuristic one from i8 can be applied to different form factors.the i8 design language could be applied to a 4 door sedan for example, or even a SUV.
Therefore, what I am trying to say, I would have liked a more futuristic design language for the TESLA X
Gotcha. Fortunately Elon and Franz have different ideas on how it should look.