Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Falcon Doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a cyclist that has been "doored" in urban traffic in an accident that totaled my bicycle, took me to the emergency room, and required replacing my helmet, I have no more fear of a Falcon-Wing door, than a regular door. They both can hurt if opened in front of you on your bicycle! In fact, the Falcon-Wing door will probably open more slowly and be easier to avoid.

As a cyclist that has been "doored" in urban traffic in an accident that totaled my bicycle, took me to the emergency room, and required replacing my helmet, I have no more fear of a Falcon-Wing door, than a regular door. They both can hurt if opened in front of you on your bicycle! In fact, the Falcon-Wing door will probably open more slowly and be easier to avoid.

Yes, I know we have beaten this to death but it occurred to me that the Falcon-Wing doors only need 8" of clearance. And since I would never ride within 8" of a car anyway, the chances of getting hit by the Falcon-doors is practically nill. Compared to an average door opening of 36"-40" it means that not only can Elon claim that the Model S is the safest family sedan car it is also the safest car for cyclists getting hit by doors. Another 1st:smile:

tsla-x_large.JPG

The problem I have with this picture is the little arch in the garage door. I do not have such and the vast majority of the garage doors I see around do not have that either. That arch forces the door rails to be installed higher up than it would normally be in the case of a standard horizontal top door, giving some extra space for the doors to fit under the door. So I am not at all convinced by this picture that the car would fit under a standard open garage door. I'd like to see the exact height measurement of the tallest point of the open Model X door (from the ground), if anyone knows that, please post it.

I was at a horse show this weekend. Has anyone thought about the ramifications of a equestrian and falcon wing doors. Equestrians ride much higher up than cyclists and have the potential to losing most of their torso on the razor sharp falcon doors.

The horror!

Good thing you people from USA have the First Amendment. Sad thing it doesn't seem to apply to Teslamotorsclub... It's also sad to see that all sort of critical comments automatically is categorized as "trolling", and if the "troll" keeps nagging, he/she eventually gets banned. I'm referring to the posts from Teo the last couple of days.

What is this? Could we please go back to real discussions with real arguments where people not necessarily agree, but at least respect that there might be different views? It sounds more and more like a known speech from a former US president: "Either you're with us or you're with the..." trolls??? Just to be clear: I'm seriously with Tesla, but honestly believe a product gets better by listen to real concerns from the customers. Actually, I also believe Tesla Motors is quite good at it, but Teslamotorsclub seems to be a bit too biased... I still have rel concerns about snow, slush and side-ways rain. I'm not that concerned about fingers and bicycles, but that is simply because I newer thought about it. That is why I respect concerns from people like Teo, and belive people like him actually brings value to the forum.

And why isn't the comment from Kevin Harne moderated? Is that the kind of comments we want on this forum?

Just to avoid being banned myself: I am an MX reservation holder (#178 Europe), I'm an TSLA-investor, I joined Teslamotorsclub 2013-01-15, I respect other peoples opinions, but demand the right to speak!

(pardon my English ... I'm Norwegian)

Blip - if you were offended by my comment I apologize. Perhaps the point I was making was a bit dramatic. But I certainly did not intend it literally. What I meant was that we were beating a dead horse for pages and pages over an issue that is based on a ridiculous and absurd premise. Having an valid opinion is one thing and discussing it is fine. What is not fine is repeatedly pounding on your point until the whole forum is pissed off. Make your point - YES !! Argue it for a bit - YES !! Repeat the same thing over and over with no new information and trying to beat the whole forum into submission - NO !! Hope this helps you to understand and puts us back on the right track :)

The problem I have with this picture is the little arch in the garage door. I do not have such and the vast majority of the garage doors I see around do not have that either. That arch forces the door rails to be installed higher up than it would normally be in the case of a standard horizontal top door, giving some extra space for the doors to fit under the door. So I am not at all convinced by this picture that the car would fit under a standard open garage door. I'd like to see the exact height measurement of the tallest point of the open Model X door (from the ground), if anyone knows that, please post it.

As mentioned previously on this thread, there are some detailed projections:
For those worried about the height of the doors (like me!), I did some math

But no one knows for sure until the next prototype is revealed.

I was at a horse show this weekend. Has anyone thought about the ramifications of a equestrian and falcon wing doors. Equestrians ride much higher up than cyclists and have the potential to losing most of their torso on the razor sharp falcon doors.

The horror!

Or the motorcyclists and scooterists ... I ride my Vectrix VX-1 to and from work most days (so my X, when it comes, will be the second EV in the household). Couple of times folk have opened their car door in my path. And I guess I sit a little higher than a cyclist. Am I worried about losing my head to a falcon door? Nope. Because as soon as I realise there's a Model X in my path I'll be slowing down to greet the owner anyway :wink::biggrin:

IMO Tesla should design function first, form second.
The first generation Honda Odyssey minivan came with four standard swing doors. Honda spent weeks at the Disneyland parking lot viewing how people entered and exited their 2nd and 3rd rows of seating of compeditors' vehicles, and determined that the standard swing doors were best. They had a change of heart. The 2nd generation and thereafter all have sliding doors.
If Tesla concludes from their design and research that the falcon wing doors are the best option, given all factors and conditions (opened in driving rain, with 10" of snow on the top, ease of operation, how quickly one can get in and out, access to the 3rd row, etc), then so be it. If after extensive review it is determined that the falcon wing doors form will compromise function overall, then scrap them. Note the lack of conventional roof rack is already a function issue, not possible with the falcon doors.
Current ride: Honda Pilot (four swing doors plus rear lift door, seats 8 standard).
Model X will be my future ride, 2016 model (to purchase in 2020 after four year trade-in lease from Tesla). Can you say "delayed gratification"?

The horror!

My equestrian friends are looking forward to being able to tow a horse trailer, their horse no longer breathing noxious fumes for the entire trip, straight out of their exhaust - a much more real threat. :)

Please not again. We had this with bycicles. Feels like fishing to find something to make a law pursuit of of that doors, when they hit the market....

Somebody will be hit by the doors, and -needless to say- not because he looked in the wrong way and going, cycling, or whatever, dangerously near to a car. No! The evil doors catched this poor guy and now someone has to bleed for it (financially)!

Last edited: