Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X flat tire story true?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It keeps the jack away from the battery and is better for when you have someone else do it. Sure you are probably fine when you do it yourself. But when you have someone else change your tires or life the car to inspect brakes for a state inspection, the last thing you want is them denting the pack.

'Jacking cars all your life' isn't really applicable to Teslas. :D Last thing you want is the jack on the battery! The adapter has a soft-ish bottom just so the jack can't slide and it stays in the holes with the magnet.

If you're happy using a jack directly, have at it! There are tons of stories here of tire change places having to pay for damage done by improper jacking.

Thanks, I get that but even on an ICE car if you jack on the wrong place you'll damage the car, however i get that the cost may be much less on an ICE :0

Where is the best place to get one of these adapters anyway.

so i heard that the model x is too heavy to lift via normal jack means so that only a service center can fix a flat?

this can't be true right? what if you get a flat in a remote place and need to put a temporary spare?

Having lifted my Model X up several times, this is definitely not true. You jack at the jack points and make sure your jack is rated to support the load (Model X = 3 ton jack minimum, preferably 4 ton+ to be safe)

As for inflator kits, I haven't used Tesla's so this comment is not specific to that kit. But most kits give you a bottle of foam and an air pump. It's great for getting you on your way, but it also gunks up the wheel and requires a whole new tire shortly after. 90% of my punctures can be plugged, and it's much cheaper to just plug it. (https://www.amazon.com/Slime-1034-T-Handle-Tire-Plug/dp/B000ET525K/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1522929092&sr=1-4&keywords=tire+plug+kit&refinements=p_85:2470955011) comes out to $1 to plug the flat.

In the past 6 months, I have lifted my (and friends) Model Xs to fix a total of 3 flats this way because the roadside was 2+ hours away. Luckily I was close to home in both and it took about 30 minutes in each case to completely fix the flat. That's a grand total of $3 plus some elbow grease vs $300/tire to replace.

People need to get a grip. Our former Porsche Cayenne turbo is the same weight as our Model X. GMC Tahoes, sierras, etc weigh the same or more than a Model X. Ford expedition/navigator, etc. The Model X is heavy but there are plenty of cars that are the same weight or heavier.

There are a lot of passenger vehicles heavier than a Model X. This list leaves off Tesla, but includes the heaviest vehicles from most of the car makers that sell in North America. Just about every one of them has at least one vehicle heavier.

http://www.blumshapiro.com/media/uploads/files/2017 Vehicles with GVW over 6.pdf

For reference the Model X weighs between 5100 and 5500 pounds.

Changing a flat on a larger vehicle requires heavier duty jacks, but the equipment exists and should be easy to find.

recommend getting rid fo the stupid lug nuts from Tesla and the caps. such crap for a $100k car... the original lug nuts didn't have caps and they were crap too,

https://smile.amazon.com/Gorilla-Au...ywords=Gorilla+61147CX+lug+nuts&tag=tmc064-20
these fit Model S/X and they have a locking set as well.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YJJ359Q/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I don't know what the original lug nuts you are referring to were, and since your profile pic shows an S, I don't know if the S had different original spec (or has different current spec) lug nuts, but for the X forum, wouldn't a 21mm (13/16) lug nut make more sense (the oem lug nuts on my 2017 X are 21mm)? Also, assuming it is possible that the caps are there for additional aerodynamics, do the ones you mentioned sit flush with the wheel, or would a taller lug nut be needed to do that?

I don't know what the original lug nuts you are referring to were, and since your profile pic shows an S, I don't know if the S had different original spec (or has different current spec) lug nuts, but for the X forum, wouldn't a 21mm (13/16) lug nut make more sense (the oem lug nuts on my 2017 X are 21mm)? Also, assuming it is possible that the caps are there for additional aerodynamics, do the ones you mentioned sit flush with the wheel, or would a taller lug nut be needed to do that?

Sorry, =yes I have an S and don't know specifics of whats on an X, I assume they are they same.

recommend getting rid fo the stupid lug nuts from Tesla and the caps. such crap for a $100k car... the original lug nuts didn't have caps and they were crap too,

https://smile.amazon.com/Gorilla-Au...ywords=Gorilla+61147CX+lug+nuts&tag=tmc064-20
these fit Model S/X and they have a locking set as well.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YJJ359Q/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was washing my 2016 S last weekend getting a winter's layer of schmutz off the car. I noted some of the lug nuts have spots of rust on them.

There are much heavier trucks around here. I carry a jack and necessary tools at all times, and bring a spare when traveling outside my local area. Sure, you have to put the X into jack mode and use the jack points, but it ain't rocket science.

As HugoBoss said, there is no spares or equipment included with your Tesla for flat tires.

You have a few options:

3) Flat towing your car to Tesla Service or local tire shop.

Good luck!

It is not possible to "flat tow" a model X, nor any Tesla for that matter. Unless you meant to say flatbed towed. (flat towing means all four wheels on the ground)

Reactions: Tam
It's $80 from Tesla but it doesn't have digital readout and it doesn't say it can shut off on its own after you dialed the desired pressure.

Model S/X/3 Tire Repair Kit
I had a nail in my tire and stopped at a Discount Auto Parts location (it was close) and picked ups a pump with the slime built it. While I had no intention of using the slime I figured it was better to have it should I need it. I filled up and made it to a tire repair shop (not Tesla). They fixed me up and then I ordered a tire plug kit off Amazon. I leave it in the trunk should I need it again.

While looking at Tesla accessories I found the pump Tesla sells on their site and realized I bought the same pump for $30. The only difference is the Tesla branding. It looks like they have a cleaner looking emergency pump now Model S/X/3 Tire Repair Kit

Also, the price at DAP went up to $50 (or I got on sale) Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance

Better safe than sorry. Buy one of them.

Attachments

• slime pump.JPG
    slime pump.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Informative
Reactions: TexasRat