Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X in fatal wrong way driver crash today in Phoenix?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

azred

Apr 12, 2016
Chandler, AZ
Phoenix tv is just now showing video of a wrong way driver fatal collision that occurred before sunrise this morning. The offending driver was killed and other driver's condition unknown. The car that looks to be mostly intact seems to be a white Model X. The other car is unrecognizable.

• Informative
Reactions: FlyF4
head on crash and the X amazingly stays in tact. hate seeing this but I'm glad i have an X for my family.

2smxcge.jpg

The probabilty of hitting an EV on HOV lane is higher, and it might be possible to assume it is a free lane when there are less cars. Very sad occurrence.

I understand Tesla was going right way, but I wonder if Tesla would give a warning if it was going wrong way?

I've never understood how this can even happen? Even driving blind drunk(not that I ever have), I don't think I could do this?

There was a story a few years ago on the local news about a woman who was drunk at night and took the off ramp thinking it was the on ramp for the highway. Luckily she was caught before hitting anyone. I know nothing about this current event, but that was the situation I've seen before.

The Tesla was the one traveling in the right direction, based on newspaper reports that the wrong-way driver died and the other survived, and the damage to the non-Tesla. It looks like an offset frontal based on the damage, maybe 30 percent (very roughly) overlap. This is the type of crash where the driver trajectory relative to the car (the Tesla) is angled, and there is a greater chance of getting a head strike on an A-pillar. The weight ratio appears to be very much in favor of the Tesla, which is one of the big reasons the Tesla driver is in the hospital rather than the morgue.

The Tesla was the one traveling in the right direction, based on newspaper reports that the wrong-way driver died and the other survived, and the damage to the non-Tesla. It looks like an offset frontal based on the damage, maybe 30 percent (very roughly) overlap. This is the type of crash where the driver trajectory relative to the car (the Tesla) is angled, and there is a greater chance of getting a head strike on an A-pillar. The weight ratio appears to be very much in favor of the Tesla, which is one of the big reasons the Tesla driver is in the hospital rather than the morgue.
The other vehicle looks completely demolished.

Sad. You have to be pretty effing hammered to drive on the wrong side of the freeway. Sometimes its a foreign driver (learned to drive overseas) and law of primacy kicks in when the brain shuts down with all the alcohol.

Which car was going the wrong way?

Random info on wrongway driving from NTSB:
-majority due to alcohol
-many involve drivers over 70
-usually occur in #1 lane
-mostly on weekends
-mostly at night

Pro Tip:
Avoid #1 lane and use it for passing only, especially at night or weekends. Idiots tend to congregate there.

Last edited:
Kind of looks like the other car might be an Audi Q7, but hard to tell. Wrong way drivers upset me so much as they are almost always drunk/impaired. Being that this occurred at 12:30am, most likely points to that being the case.