Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Interior Design

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can't disagree with them if comparing to Porsche, Lexus, Mercedes, Audi, etc...Tesla is about simple design, other than the claimed "artistic" quality of the stylish pedestal seats... per Elon.

Also depends on your seat config, the 5 seater being the least luxury given the 2nd seat base.

However, who cares what they think, cause most of the assets of a MX is hidden to the observer, in the driving and functionality.

But that gi-nourmous windshield certainly screams "high-end", despite the intense glare from the sun when above the level of the visor. For that, consider adding interior window tint everywhere for heat block, plus a darker "sunglass" tint above the visor level.

Also, depending on your exterior color and taste, consider spending the expense of a paint protection film, especially the matte finish, which make my Midnight Silver just "pop" from the lack of a standard glossy finish.

Just got my X on Monday, and been showing off to some friends. A few people actually burst my bubble by saying that the X interior doesn't look luxurious enough given its high price. Thoughts?
Why care what they think? People that are jealous say things like that. I'd just laugh it off and make some comment like 'different tastes, I guess'.

Enjoy your X. :)

Just got my X on Monday, and been showing off to some friends. A few people actually burst my bubble by saying that the X interior doesn't look luxurious enough given its high price. Thoughts?

I completely agree.

I also don't think the exterior of the X looks good enough given it's high price. You can buy some absolutely gorgeous looking cars for it's price. I think the X lacks basic technology features available at a lower price point (ie. text messaging read out) and the ergonomics of the car need some work and refinement.

I also think that the X is the best electrical vehicle on the market. That the high price is for a battery and that the X in reality is a $40,000 car with a really expensive battery pack. I also think that some of these things that I stated before (more leather, more tech) would add weight, which would reduce range, handling, and increase cost and as of today; it's a compromise that we make. It's also a heck of a lot better of a compromise than what a Honda Insight or GM EV had to make, but I'm straying from the question...

I think Tesla agrees with you, that's why they hired a phenomenal interior designer from Volvo. They too went through an interior issue in the late 90's. Their latest interiors are simply sublime.

I completely agree.

I also don't think the exterior of the X looks good enough given it's high price. You can buy some absolutely gorgeous looking cars for it's price. I think the X lacks basic technology features available at a lower price point (ie. text messaging read out) and the ergonomics of the car need some work and refinement.

I also think that the X is the best electrical vehicle on the market. That the high price is for a battery and that the X in reality is a $40,000 car with a really expensive battery pack. I also think that some of these things that I stated before (more leather, more tech) would add weight, which would reduce range, handling, and increase cost and as of today; it's a compromise that we make. It's also a heck of a lot better of a compromise than what a Honda Insight or GM EV had to make, but I'm straying from the question...

I think Tesla agrees with you, that's why they hired a phenomenal interior designer from Volvo. They too went through an interior issue in the late 90's. Their latest interiors are simply sublime.

You have two X's?

Problem is that nobody cares that you're paying for a huge battery pack. They just compare cars on the absolute price.

Even though people have criticized both the plain interior and bland exterior, oddly enough these criticisms never even registered in my mind prior to buying. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I LOVE the exterior look of the X, and I find the plain interior to look futuristic and "Apple-like".

I believe the base X ($80K) looks the part, and has an interior representing it's price.
It is when you load that car up with all the premium goodies, $140K) the interior does not improve in looks.
With most vehicles, the higher performance models also include interior upgrades which help justify the bigger dollars spent, and allow the owner to display his increased expenditures to others.

I imagine in the future, Tesla will offer additonal premium interiors for those wanting such. They have done so in the past by offering upgrades such as additional leather, alcantara trim, additional interior lighting etc, but those were pretty subtle upgrades.

I think of my Tesla interior as kind of Scandanavian in appearance. Simple, elegant, and not distracting.

Mercedes has gone the other way with so many buttons to push, deciding which fragrance I desire, what color mood lighting do I want, over complicated stereo systems which adjust volume depending on how fast you are driving and recalculation the graphic equalizer when you put the top down, self presenting seat belts, lights that swivel when going around corners, suspensions that recalculate 1,000 times a second when going down the road etc.

Some of these enhancements have been underdevelopment for over 20 years, and some think they are perhaps overcomplicating the cars to the point of driver distraction, while others find them to be delightful playthings.

Tesla is pretty new at this car making thing, and I feel they have done a fantastic job of providing the information a driver needs without overcomplicating their offering.

I know that Mercedes provides a very impressive vehicle in their S-Class, but you still need to fill it up with smelly and environmentally poisonous gasoline or diesel every few days.

Reactions: 3s-a-charm
You have two X's?

Problem is that nobody cares that you're paying for a huge battery pack. They just compare cars on the absolute price.

Only one. And you're exactly right, and most only compare sticker to sticker and usually use a fully loaded version as per Uncle Paul. Very few compare total cost of ownership (Base MX compares favorably to a loaded Ford Explorer) and focus only on initial sticker shock

I believe the base X ($80K) looks the part, and has an interior representing it's price.
It is when you load that car up with all the premium goodies, $140K) the interior does not improve in looks.
With most vehicles, the higher performance models also include interior upgrades which help justify the bigger dollars spent, and allow the owner to display his increased expenditures to others.

I imagine in the future, Tesla will offer additonal premium interiors for those wanting such. They have done so in the past by offering upgrades such as additional leather, alcantara trim, additional interior lighting etc, but those were pretty subtle upgrades.

I think of my Tesla interior as kind of Scandanavian in appearance. Simple, elegant, and not distracting.

Mercedes has gone the other way with so many buttons to push, deciding which fragrance I desire, what color mood lighting do I want, over complicated stereo systems which adjust volume depending on how fast you are driving and recalculation the graphic equalizer when you put the top down, self presenting seat belts, lights that swivel when going around corners, suspensions that recalculate 1,000 times a second when going down the road etc.

Some of these enhancements have been underdevelopment for over 20 years, and some think they are perhaps overcomplicating the cars to the point of driver distraction, while others find them to be delightful playthings.

Tesla is pretty new at this car making thing, and I feel they have done a fantastic job of providing the information a driver needs without overcomplicating their offering.

I know that Mercedes provides a very impressive vehicle in their S-Class, but you still need to fill it up with smelly and environmentally poisonous gasoline or diesel every few days.

My dad has an S-class, and he can change the ambient lighting colour (useless), massage chairs (gimmicky and even more useless), motorized sunshades (kinda useful), 360 degree cameras for parking (very useful), and leather galore.

Have had my MX 5 Seat since Dec 27 now and am still getting used to it but loving every experience so far! I do know what some mean with lack of some features one might expect from a car with this price tag. I agree with you when you say Tesla is pretty new at this car making thing...! One feature that I would have thought would have been included is a more techy windshield wiper system. The 3 manually adjusted intermittent speeds, is a bit low tech. Would like to see variable speed, depending on rain volume, my Q7 Audi had it ! My wipers are a bit clunky and noisy, not like the quieter versions offered by most European cars. Anyone agree !

Have had my MX 5 Seat since Dec 27 now and am still getting used to it but loving every experience so far! I do know what some mean with lack of some features one might expect from a car with this price tag. I agree with you when you say Tesla is pretty new at this car making thing...! One feature that I would have thought would have been included is a more techy windshield wiper system. The 3 manually adjusted intermittent speeds, is a bit low tech. Would like to see variable speed, depending on rain volume, my Q7 Audi had it ! My wipers are a bit clunky and noisy, not like the quieter versions offered by most European cars. Anyone agree !

It's because you have an AP2. It's been a while since I drove my AP2 in the rain, but last time I did the rain sensors still didn't work.

On our AP1, I just leave them on one of the dashed settings and it adjusts speed based on what hits the windshield. AP2 will catch up eventually.

Tend to agree that the MX interior could use some upgrades. We pulled out all of the plastic in our SEMA build and replaced it with carbon fiber. Definitely makes a pretty noticeable difference.

IMG_6353wm.jpg
IMG_6515wm.jpg
IMG_6305wm.jpg