Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not as cut and dried as you'd think. There certainly is something to what you say - function is prioritized over form, and people decide that the resulting look is cool - but there's an element of conservatism involved too - a lot of people have preconceived notions of what a jet fighter looks like and tthings that look different often don't fair well.

Look at the F-16XL vs F-15E Strike Eagle. According to some folks I know that were there, the XL blew away all of the program objectives, and beat the F-15E on several key metrics - but the F-16XL had this odd twisted wing, and the F-15E looked like a fighter. The Air Force bought the F-15E.

YF-22/YF-23 - the YF-22 looked like a squared off F-15, the YF-23 is something odd and swoopier - but both more agile and lower observable. The Air Force bought the F-22.

F-32/F35 - the F-35 looks like a shrunken single engine F-22, the F-32 looks - odd, with a gaping nose intake and bulging body. The Air Force, Navy, and Marines bought the F-35 (in this case, the few bits I know for sure favor the F-35 - F-32 had serious problems with VTO performance.)

But I think I agree with you main point - cars people want become cool cars and set the trend for what's cool, and the fastback will likely become a trend.
The F-16XL lost out to the F-15E for three main reasons -- delta wing aircraft are less maneuverable (especially without forward canards), single engine, and smaller avionics package. As for the F-22 and F-35, yeah, I agree completely. I'm not convinced the Pentagon bought the best aircraft. In fact,the F-35 has turned into a fiscal black hole, but they wanted their JSF (joint strike fighter shared by all branches) at any cost. Sorry, off topic...

Slightly back on topic: But even ugly aircraft had their loyal followers who loved them regardless (F-4 Phantom, for instance). The Model X will be the same -- some people will love it at first sight, some it will grow on, and others will vehemently hate it no matter what.

Last edited:
My kingdom for posts just about Model X sightings (we have a dedicated Model X subforum for discussions about look/speculation, etc.). There's just too many notifications because of the signal-to-noise ratio.

To stay on topic, here's the website of a camera store which rents cameras. About 40 minutes away from the Tesla factory.

That or pay for someone's flight/hotel, I'm sure someone with a DSLR is willing to take time off, and stalk to the Model X :)

Obviously, this is only of interest if there's no reveal and/or additional information at today's conference call.

I have a Canon DSLR with a 55-250MM Zoom lens, which I just put in my ICE car on the passenger seat. I know exactly where you can observe a certain test track from because I live about 10 minutes from it. In fact, I can see a certain factory from my master bedroom window in the mountainside above. No guarantees that I'll pass by at the right time whenever I drive by, since I'm too busy to just "camp out" there to try to capture some high res photos of a certain vehicle. I also have a zoom 3D video camera that works pretty well in low light conditions. :cool:

Last edited:
The F-16XL lost out to the F-15E for three main reasons -- delta wing aircraft are less maneuverable (especially without forward canards), single engine, and smaller avionics package. As for the F-22 and F-35, yeah, I agree completely. I'm not convinced the Pentagon bought the best aircraft. In fact,the F-35 has turned into a fiscal black hole, but they wanted their JSF (joint strike fighter shared by all branches) at any cost. Sorry, off topic...

Slightly back on topic: But even ugly aircraft had their loyal followers who loved them regardless (F-4 Phantom, for instance). The Model X will be the same -- some people will love it at first sight, some it will grow on, and other will vehemently hate it no matter what.

....and I think the "ugly" A-10 WartHog was great looking!

First time I have seen those wheels on a mule.

Are those new more aeronymaic rims?

Are those rims new?

We saw these wheels in the left lane news photos of the white mule. They are new in that they are not currently offered for sale by Tesla Motors. I doubt they are any more aerodynamic than any other wheels. Except, of course, the aero wheels Tesla offered for a while for the S. ;-)

Spied: 2016 Tesla Model X | LeftLaneNews

image.jpg

Last edited:
We saw these wheels in the left lane news photos of the white mule. They are new in that they are not currently offered for sale by Tesla Motors. I doubt they are any more aerodynamic than any other wheels. Except, of course, the aero wheels Tesla offered for a while for the S. ;-)

Spied: 2016 Tesla Model X | LeftLaneNews

View attachment 89648

Aren't those just 19" Cyclone wheels sprayed gray? Or maybe 21" Gray Turbines with higher profile tires?

At least the passenger side door handles are aligned...
Yeah but the trim isn't. :rolleyes: ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

They aren't cyclones. Cyclones have five pairs of spokes with different spacing between them.

attachment.php

They look more like turbines to me.
Good point. I forgot about how the Cyclones and Turbines are different. Definitely Turbines.

Dpoes that mean that X has bigger feet than S? 21" Turbines with similar profile tires to the S 19s so larger circumference ?
That's what I get for typing when I can't sleep.

I still think those look like 19" wheels. Just that they are definitely the turbine style rather than the semi paired spoke cyclone style.

Perhaps someone with some photoshop pixel counting skills can verify for us. If they are 19's then they must be new wheels. Or are they the Rial Luganos?

The latest pics look much better. With the bumper molding showing the car does not have any of that Prius/Aztec look anymore. Trims does make a world of differences.

Funny that you say that -- when I showed the latest photos to my wife, she saw the one with the white car in the background and asked "is that another white Model X in the background?"

That's what I get for typing when I can't sleep.

I still think those look like 19" wheels. Just that they are definitely the turbine style rather than the semi paired spoke cyclone style.

Perhaps someone with some photoshop pixel counting skills can verify for us. If they are 19's then they must be new wheels. Or are they the Rial Luganos?

Maybe with the original photos, but not these thrice-compressed ones.

I think I can possibly see that they are 22", but the only size Conti makes in the Cross Contact LX Sport is 275/40 R22. which would stand about 1.5" *shorter* than the stock MS tire. That makes no sense, so I must be wrong.

Oops, now that I look again, that would be 1.5" taller, so that makes sense... but they still don't look like 22" tires/wheels, so I'm dubious.

Last edited: