Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hold on a tick! Isn't this ground clearance thing between the S and X being beaten up to death in another thread (that I just left).
Maybe, I know the mods are monitoring where we all go and e.g. rapidly moving all posts from the thread I just left to the one I am just clicking on. They do that for all of us I think. That's where that uncanny feeling comes from, I'm sure.

Maybe, I know the mods are monitoring where we all go and e.g. rapidly moving all posts from the thread I just left to the one I am just clicking on. They do that for all of us I think. That's where that uncanny feeling comes from, I'm sure.

It's tiring keeping up with some of you. :) That's why I had to step down. I was getting dizzy.

- - - Updated - - -

I think that you had better not buy an X if you live in the Powder belt. I mean as pristine white as they all are.....
No wait, you mean they might not all be white?

White cars don't stay white where there's serious snow.

Screen Shot 2015-03-27 at 12.46.17 PM.png

The wiki placeholder and new thread post explaining this thread and wiki have been added. Members are welcome to post a new sighting to the thread. As previously mentioned, discussion is welcomed and encouraged on each new one. If this thread grows to have many sightings / 100 pages, we'll look at breaking it into a sub group with individual threads, but still have this summary.

A reminder to keep it on topic. Off topics will be moved to another thread if they carry on for more than a page or so. so please be kind to your other members and mods, by keeping down the "derailing".

Thank you!

No idea if this is the right place to put this since there's about 10 different Model X mule threads right now, but has anyone else picked up on this rather large gap between the rear light and bodywork? Just saw it when I was having a look at the rear to see what i could learn about the aerodynamics.

Screen Shot 2015-03-28 at 18.35.08.png

Honestly I have no idea what, if anything to make of it and I don't want to read anything into it. Could be indicative of something, could just be because it's a hastily put together car with bits and pieces they found lying around. Don't think it's likely to be a design feature.
Just pointing out a little oddity.

No idea if this is the right place to put this since there's about 10 different Model X mule threads right now, but has anyone else picked up on this rather large gap between the rear light and bodywork? Just saw it when I was having a look at the rear to see what i could learn about the aerodynamics.

View attachment 76170

Honestly I have no idea what, if anything to make of it and I don't want to read anything into it. Could be indicative of something, could just be because it's a hastily put together car with bits and pieces they found lying around. Don't think it's likely to be a design feature.

Interesting. First guess: mule uses stock Model S taillights, and they don't match the contour of the final car.

Or it could be something else entirely. :)

@Gerasimental, one explanation for that odd looking gap (I'm sure others will disagree and/or have alternate explanations) is that the test mules are heavily camouflaged.

1. I personally believe that both the doors and falcon doors do not belong to this test mule and have been re-appropriated from older prototypes. The reason is because the gaps between the body and doors are fairly extreme and odd-shaped, not to mention that hardly anything lines up properly.

2. I'm unsure about the rear hatch-back (whether its a production version or an old prototype), but I do believe that the whole rear body panel was retro-fitted, which would explain the gap you noticed.

3. The headlights and taillights are all taped and I believe its because (a) they may want to hide something about these lights like cameras or motors for adaptive lighting, but also (b) this tape is structural to keep the lights attached to these old prototype panels.

4. I believe the hood/bonnet of the vehicle also doesn't belong on the production frame and that, along with a new nose will make for a more dramatic looking vehicle.

@Gerasimental, one explanation for that odd looking gap (I'm sure others will disagree and/or have alternate explanations) is that the test mules are heavily camouflaged.

1. I personally believe that both the doors and falcon doors do not belong to this test mule and have been re-appropriated from older prototypes. The reason is because the gaps between the body and doors are fairly extreme and odd-shaped, not to mention that hardly anything lines up properly.

2. I'm unsure about the rear hatch-back (whether its a production version or an old prototype), but I do believe that the whole rear body panel was retro-fitted, which would explain the gap you noticed.

3. The headlights and taillights are all taped and I believe its because (a) they may want to hide something about these lights like cameras or motors for adaptive lighting, but also (b) this tape is structural to keep the lights attached to these old prototype panels.

4. I believe the hood/bonnet of the vehicle also doesn't belong on the production frame and that, along with a new nose will make for a more dramatic looking vehicle.

Nice ideas there, vandacca. Sounds plausible. Thanks for sharing.

Interesting. First guess: mule uses stock Model S taillights, and they don't match the contour of the final car.

Or it could be something else entirely. :)
The taillights, while similar in appearance to those on Model S, are not the same shape. The bottom edge of the Model S taillights are a straight line across the entire width of the assembly, whereas the Model X lights are taller on the side pillars then curve upwards on the lift gate portion. I don't see how they could share the assemblies here.

I love the detailed analysis of the pictures... I think all we can tell from the pictures is that these clearly aren't the final panels and final parts.
Or phrased the other way round... if these ARE the final panels and parts than the fit and finish of the Model X will compare poorly to a Yugo...
As I said before in what used to be "the one" thread (and now has been spread over what feels like half a dozen - thanks HRHLGP) - Tesla isn't showing us the final look. They are sending old and misleading panels and lights and front cones out on Bay Area freeways for the road testing. And they are keeping the much more attractive and exciting new look a surprise.