Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
are they ever going to fix those door handles? this is going to drive all of us OCD'rs insane. its not just the door handle, but the other pieces of chrome too. the entire door looks bad. it actually kind looks like the vehicle is folding in half bending down the middle.

It's all the pieces of chrome and nothing to do with the door handles because as has been abundantly clear from closeup pictures they are driving these around with the doors not quite closed. Why? Who knows, probably just to annoy the heck out of people like you.

The insults just keep flying.

Why? What's the point.

Eds (who is not me as everyone well knows) referred in the Delay in Model X launch thread? to ongoing design changes, including door opening mechanism change from hydraulic to electric. I mentioned the rumor because it might bear relevance to jdevo2004's nice point:

Why does everyone put any credence in the door opening mechanism change from hydraulic to electric. Does anyone realize what the weight of a hydraulic system to pull any door close would be? Does anyone realize that the Tesla has minimal fluids (partially for the reason of weight). does anyone realize that only the holdback mechanism is "hydraulic" (is actually pneumatic gas struts) and that the movement of the doors of all power lift gates is by electric motor?
Look up parts for Cadillac, Nissan, etc.
Lets put this to bed. Hydraulic operation of the falcon doors or any other door would add significant weight to a weight critical vehicle (as are all other vehicles). It would add a toxic and almost certainly flammable liquid to a car with quite a bit of ability to spark that liquid in an accident. that same system would have sealing points that would fail in time just because the material used to seal (some sort of rubber) would be degraded by both atmosphere and by the liquid and when degraded, leak to the passenger compartment.
No.... if there were hydraulic operated lifts for the door opening mechanisms, it was changed long ago in design review.

Why does everyone put any credence in the door opening mechanism change from hydraulic to electric. Does anyone realize what the weight of a hydraulic system to pull any door close would be? Does anyone realize that the Tesla has minimal fluids (partially for the reason of weight). does anyone realize that only the holdback mechanism is "hydraulic" (is actually pneumatic gas struts) and that the movement of the doors of all power lift gates is by electric motor?
Lets put this to bed. Hydraulic operation of the falcon doors or any other door would add significant weight to a weight critical vehicle (as are all other vehicles). It would add a toxic and almost certainly flammable liquid to a car with quite a bit of ability to spark that liquid in an accident. that same system would have sealing points that would fail in time just because the material used to seal (some sort of rubber) would be degraded by both atmosphere and by the liquid and when degraded, leak to the passenger compartment. No.... if there were hydraulic operated lifts for the door opening mechanisms, it was changed long ago in design review.

Everything is going electric. That includes even the traditionally hydraulically powered steering and brakes. It's unbelievable that someone would think in particular an EV company would have designed a new feature to be hydraulically powered.

Lets put this to bed. Hydraulic operation of the falcon doors or any other door would add significant weight to a weight critical vehicle (as are all other vehicles). It would add a toxic and almost certainly flammable liquid to a car with quite a bit of ability to spark that liquid in an accident. that same system would have sealing points that would fail in time just because the material used to seal (some sort of rubber) would be degraded by both atmosphere and by the liquid and when degraded, leak to the passenger compartment.
No.... if there were hydraulic operated lifts for the door opening mechanisms, it was changed long ago in design review.

I'm with you. I couldn't imagine that Tesla would go backwards and originally design a hydraulic system. It just makes no sense. It would be like someone announcing that they had inside info and originally 'the X had a gas engine, but then they decided to go electric'.

uh oh, just got a contact in trouble...

Where do you see "everyone putting any credence in the door opening mechanism change"? Suddenly we went from mentioning a rumor and saying I don't know if it is accurate at all, to "everyone putting" credence on the rumor? It would be nice if arguments would actually be considered as they have been presented, not some strawman that originated from who knows where.

As for hydraulic operation, I don't think anyone would have expected (nor did I read Eds that way) falcon wings to be entirely hydraulic. That would be nonsense. What I read in the rumor was that there was a hydraulic element, that was moved onto electric - just as you explain. Considering how many automated tailgates do use some hydraulic components, again as you explain, it doesn't seem completely unreasonable to think Tesla's falcon wings did too. And, for the reasons you explain, it doesn't seem unlikely at all that Tesla would have instead moved onto electric by now, again for those reasons.

I don't see how we can dismiss the rumor merely based on what you say. But there is a fairly easy thing we may be able to discuss: Did the 2012-2013 prototype have fully electric falcon wings? Or did it include a hydraulic component? If the prototype had fully electric, then it would seem unlikely (though not possobile) a later beta Model X would have something else.

Another thing, does the Model S tailgate have a hydraulic component? If it does or does not, that too could speak to the likelihood of what Model X may or may not have had?

The continued snarky remarks at AR's expense reflect poorly on those continuing (ad nauseam) to make them. AR's voluminous analysis isn't my cup of tea, so I... don't read those posts. We really don't need folks ganging up to make his continued existence on this forum miserable.

Appreciated. And to note: I've retired my voluminous threads pending Model X launch, due to lack of interest from other members and to give everyone a breather. ;) But it will eventually be interesting to see what analysis and/or speculation bears fruit and what was wasted breath, and it would be hard to do without those threads to reference to. So, maybe they will still serve that small entertainment purpose. Other than that, the eventual Model X release will make them moot, as is always the case with these things. :)

- - - Updated - - -

It's also possible Eds had some insight into supplier issues and drew his own set of conclusions from them. In that case, some of his points were observations and some were extrapolations. The latter are questionable - "Elon wants to keep the stock price high" or whatever. The former could be more concrete. Assuming there's any validity to begin with.

Bingo. No source, no leak, is perfect. We can't dismiss everything simply because one thing is wrong - and we can't believe everything because one thing is right.

A leaker might well know about design changes to some parts of the car if they work on that personally, while making unrealistic conjecture on its production volume status if they are merely citing in-house rumors and personal extrapolations there. Or vice versa.

Of course "leaksters" can be trolls and complete nonsense too.

- - - Updated - - -

If Eds was right we're in trouble then, he said there'd be no Q3 deliveries, no more than 100 cars to customers by year end, and predicted early ones would be severely compromised.

Eds didn't say no Q3 deliveries, he said a launch in "couple of" to "few" months from mid-July - and we know Elon has said deliveries on launch. But it is true Eds said less than 100 cars delivered by years end, which is one of the forward-looking statements from him/her that I don't think he could know, even if he/she actually had insider information, so that part I don't trust. But as we learned from CC, much of the rest Eds said actually had merit, so I'm not sure the door mechanism rumor can be completely dismissed. Maybe we'll eventually learn what design and technology variants Tesla went through with Model X and we'll learn if hydraulics played any part at any point to put that to rest one way or the other.

Eds didn't say no Q3 deliveries, he said a launch in "couple of" to "few" months from mid-July -.....

Ummm, yes he did. Just for reference here's the quote still available on TMC:
It appears that delay is almost a given as there have been no deliveries in Q2 and there will not be any deliveries in Q3 of 2015. so there should be some concern re official story from Tesla that they expect to deliver 5,000 model X cars in 2015.

Would be nice if we could stop discussing Eds in every single thread. ;-)

Last edited:
Just passed a dark blue one on park presidio in SF

Nose cone was taped off. Looked very much like a Tesla with regards to design, just larger. I get the feeling that useful third row (unlike X5) is going to be a big feature for buyers

Last edited:
Door handles: The door handles may not be where you think they are going to be! What we have seen so far are mules that are somewhat close to the final production Model X's. The final product is ALWAYS somewhat different, so to my point, we all may want to rethink where the door handles will be located on the doors once we see the final version. Maybe they will move the front door handles slightly forward and the rear door handles to the aft position as they are on the MS!!! We will know soon... i.e., by September 30th!! two thousand fifteen!!:)) just to be clear on the year!!

My WAG... the delays are primarily due to the suppliers for the Falcon Wing Doors - similar to the delays in the P85D next gen seats. I've noticed that most of the images (even the latest that look showroom ready) have the FWD slightly ajar. Perhaps they are testing these vehicles with temporary doors waiting for the updated parts (or perhaps even locking mechanisms or hinges?) to arrive.

Elon indicated on the last conference call that it would be related to the back seats.

- - - Updated - - -

My wife and I had decided on blue for the Model X right after the new blue was released. Seeing the pictures of the X in blue, just solidifies it. Looks amazing in blue, really digging the new pictures.

Nice choice. :D Looks beautiful in this color. But would personally love to see it in Titanium Metallic before making a choice. (Of course, would also love some other color options... like that beautiful green the Model S came in for a short time.)

- - - Updated - - -

Genuine lol :D